My Alterna Vinyl Tile Grout is Separating

Discussion in 'Vinyl Flooring Q&A' started by Drud, Sep 22, 2014.

1. Drud

Drud New Member

I have a problem with the Alterna Vinyl Tile grout separating from the tile, I have had it re-grouted once and again it is cracking. This seams to take place about 6 months after installation. I have a 1/2 inch plywood sub floor that was glued and screwed down. I am now on my second go around with the flooring company to find a solution to this problem. The tiles themselves are great it's just the grout? Any suggestions ?

2. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

Please don't reply to 3 year old topics. I moved your post to its own topic for better support.

Jim

3. Floored by Newman

Floored by Newman Floored by Newman

Sounds like a climate or maintenance issue.

4. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

Total subfloor is 1/2"? Insufficient structural integrity .

5. Bud Cline

Bud Cline Tile Expert Charter Member Senior Member Published

I wonder if that is the reality of the subfloor. We hear that stuff all of the time but I have my doubts that the subfloor is in fact only 1/2" when 5/8" is the typical minimum for building codes. This isn't to say 5/8" is thick enough either.

First verify the subfloor thickness. I don't know that sellers even think about subfloor thickness using this type of tile. They should but I have never seen a spec that says anything about subfloor thickness. In truth the floor should have had an underlayment installed on top of the subfloor before any tile was installed.

Drud may be taking this one on the chin.

6. Jeff Short

Jeff Short Veteran Flooring Retailer

No offense to the original poster, but we sometimes assume that everyone speaks the same language we do and understands that subfloor is a structural element of the home, ie attached directly to the floor joists, as opposed to underlayment, which is attached to the subfloor (generally) and is used under flooring to create a proper surface for installation.

So, is the 1/2" plywood actually the subfloor or is it an underlayment?

7. ortiz34

ortiz34 2nd generation Senior Member

flexing of the subfloor, it happens

Try lightly misting the grout with water while spreading new grout

8. Bud Cline

I have a suggestion. Be polite and return here to see if any of us have spent our time trying to help you. I don't particularly care for "drive-by" posters that waste my time.

9. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

Bud, if you check the profile before you get pissed off at someone who asked for help, you might see that this poster has been back. There's no rule they have to acknowledge the replies. The fact is, this may be a similar problem to what countless others are having and will have long into the future. So your support will be helpful to many others who won't acknowledge it - they will search Google, find this topic and learn something new that might help them. And you won't even know it. Heck, I hope people register just to say thanks, but they don't always do that. I even hope someone will be helped (or get a laugh at) something I've said many years after I'm dead and my ashes sprinkled in the ether.

Jim

10. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

I'm sure some have used Portland cement grout not knowing any better, someone tried to get us to use it, we're like no, that's the wrong product, no we're not going to use it, no, order the appropriate vinyl "grout"

And yes, I've cruised other types of categories forums for answers doing flyby's, I just want a dam answer to my problem, I still haven't joined the truck forum.

11. RobertT

RobertT Pro Member

Ammonia based cleaners will break down acrylic vinyl tile grout. That is why ammonia based cleaner is recommended for removing this type of grout haze. Using too much water during clean up can also cause the grout to crack. Hope that helps.

12. Bud Cline

The OP's information shows only one post at this time, so if they have been back they haven't bothered to say anything. Nor acknowledge anyone's efforts. Seems kinda rude to me.:yesss:

13. Carpetco

Carpetco Pro Member

Even though you have glued and screwed the subfloor, it still has some movement. Re-grout it again, and seal it. I have this same floor in two baths. I sell this floor as well.

Candice

14. Good Luck!

Ive had the same experience, Good Luck!