My 395 sy, 6-inch flash cove job, entirely solo.

Discussion in 'Spotlight on Flooring Professionalism' started by icanlayit2, Jul 12, 2017.

1. icanlayit2

icanlayit2 Pro Member

I'm on day 16, and all i have left to do is weld 90 corners. BUT, I don't think i will attempt this again anytime soon or future. I come home exhausted everyday. I figured nothing says I know what I'm doing Like doing a job that size solo. If i can manage no punch-list I will feel accomplished, so far so good.

20170712_155002.jpg 20170712_155013.jpg 20170712_155124.jpg 20170712_155152.jpg 20170712_155141.jpg 20170712_155203.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

400 s/y is a good days work. I did about 700 s/y 6" coved Armstrong Linoeum by myself about ten/15 years ago. Took me over a month.

3. Incognito

There was a day........long time ago, far, far away when we could do jobs with ZERO punch list. It really separated the men from the boys.

I can't even hope for that these days. Part of the reason I don't piece work. They just don't allow for the conditions and set the work up so I can work without coming back for minor details. It does happen, but rarely on something like the jobs we're talking about. There was no punch list on the 700 s/y lino job I did. But they got water damage I had to go back and replace 3/4 exam rooms...........13' x 15' if I recall correctly. Had to do it on a weekend. It was a ridiculously long effort. LOTS of double time for this union man.

They shorthanded us. The GC and salesman came to see why we were taking so long on Sunday. They told me the man hours/price my shop bid on the work. There was no excuse to be short skilled men considering the price paid.

I don't want to know that kind of BS. But when the shop pisses off the customers and other related folks for some reason they come to me and stick it in my face. YOU HAVE NO EXCUSE not to be done by now. It's nice they give you the time to do such a job solo. Normally they'd want guys on top of guys bumping private parts.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Roland Thompson

Roland Thompson Charter Member Senior Member

Looks good. Looking forward to meeting you.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Steve Olson

Steve Olson Hardwood/Laminate Guru Charter Member Senior Member

Looks great! I can't come close to putting in the yardage per day that you and Incognito do, or have done. The one area, I wish I was more comfortable with is welding outside corners. Up close, they never look as good, as they do in pictures. They are my great white whale.

6. Steve Olson

Hey, take a couple pic's of the corners, before and after you weld them.

• Like Like x 1
  7. icanlayit2

icanlayit2 Pro Member

This is Mannington Biospec, heat welded. And i can take a few pics of the corners and post them also. I really don't like mannington much, but it's been easier to work with than normal. The corner welds are tricky if you don't do it much, but i can show you in pictures how to do it easy and get solid welds. I've had 4 inside corners pull out in spots and no outside corners. I'm guessing there are around 150-170 corners. I always use Ardex Feather Finish for prep and the metal cap tool from crain (No. 847 Die Set w/Handle | Crain Tools ) makes forming the 12 foot pieces of metal cap much easier. The turbo tools groover and tip makes the welding a breeze. With the Mozart trimmer you can run and trim almost. I weld my corners in an Unorthodox method using the small Sinclair welder with a pencil tip and this hand feeder( Wolff Welding Rod Feed Roller ). I"m going to ask someone if they will do some video tomorrow morning.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Incognito

I have three of those feed roller and have no idea how to use one. They sit in my garage. I'd sure appreciate any advice on those.

12' cap metal? Never seen that. We get 8' lengths and that's all I've ever seen in 39 years since I was a warehouse guy in 1978.

150+ corners? Wow! That's a lot. You must be good.

I hate Mannington sheet goods......in general. I have handled some decent stuff but I shudder when I see the name on the work order. Seriously. It's not "installer friendly" comparable to the better sheet goods brands.

And you surely know who those brands are. Mostly European, sad to say.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Steve Olson

A few pics would be great. All I've done the last couple years is Tekno, and that rod is the hardest one to trim and work with after welding. Let it cool too much and it will snap Mozart blades like they are glass.

10. icanlayit2

icanlayit2 Pro Member

I completed the job today at noon. Here are a couple pics of a corner. I had went through and grooved all the corners so I wasn't able to get a pic of a corner unfinished.

Attached Files:

11. icanlayit2

icanlayit2 Pro Member

I don't know how you guys groove your corners, but a dremel with a small bit will groove corners like a champ to perfection, which makes welding them much easier.

12. Incognito

I tried the dremel with a router bit a long time ago. Never got the hang of it but I can see.....in theory how it would work.

Very nice corners. You're hired!

• Like Like x 1