Moving heavy objects / floor protectors

Discussion in 'Tools, Equipment and Supplies' started by topshot, Jul 15, 2011.

1. topshot

topshot Active Member

What is the best way of moving appliances into place and then moving fridge in and out every so often to clean?

Which type of floor protectors work the best for wood chairs/table, couch, etc.?

Would you put anything under a china cabinet or entertainment center?

Floor will be full-spread IVC 115 gauge.

2. Chris Mha

Chris Mha Charter Member Senior Member

I use 4'x4' pieces of 1/4" underlayment to move appliance in and out of place. As far as your chairs, most manufacturers recommend felt pads. It wouldn't be a bad idea to put them on your china cabinet too.

3. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Good luck with the felt pads. I can't get them to stay on even when re-gluing them with contact cement. I have tried most on the market and ended up getting some at Ace Hardware that have carpet on the bottom that you drive into the chair leg. Wood of coarse which mine are.
    The rest of what Chris says I agree with.

Daris

4. topshot

topshot Active Member

So if the refrigerator was already in place, for example, you'd try to tip it back a bit to slide the 1/4 under the front rollers as far as you could and then roll it a bit and tip forward to get the back wheels on the sheet?

It sounds like you should have the pads even if the furniture will likely never move. I'll try to find felt/carpet pads that will nail or screw into the legs of the various furniture. Thanks for the help.

5. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

I put a new floor in my apartment last year and one in my bedroom this year and used these pads on everything: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Waxman-4720095N-Self-Stick-Blanket-Oatmeal/dp/B0016L0M2I/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1310757314&sr=8-4"]Amazon.com: Waxman 4720095N Self-Stick Heavy Duty Felt Blanket Pads, 4-1/2-Inch by 6-Inch, Oatmeal: Home Improvement[/ame] I cut to fit whatever I put them on. I move my desk chair around more than anything else and the pads began to move off position on it. So, I put a couple drops of super glue on the leg and repositioned the pads and they haven't come loose since.

Jim

Last edited: Jul 15, 2011
  6. nimrod

nimrod Pro Member

For as inexpensive as the felt pads are we suggest just replacing them often if you have problems with them coming off.The pads are certainly less money than repairing a damaged floor. I like Jims idea of super glue, will have to try that.I would never use a pad that is nailed or screwed on cause if you wear the pad thru you will scratch the floor with the nail head worse than if you just had the bare chair leg on the floor. We sell the Armstrong self stick pads and have been told they are much better quality than what is sold at most big box/hardware stores.....

7. nimrod

nimrod Pro Member

One thing that can cause the felt pads to come loose is if your chair has angled legs and the bottoms are not cut to the exact angle of the floor. So if your chair leg is and 1" in diameter if not cut right only a 1/4"-1/2" of the leg may actually be in contact with the floor. Armstrong sells floor protectors which are plastic pads on a ball joint which screws into the chair leg and then a felt pad is installed on that. ball joint makes sure the whole pad is flat on the floor....Armstrong Residential Floor Protectors - Oak

8. topshot

topshot Active Member

Would you use felt pads for a couch and an easy chair that doesn't get moved or would plastic coasters be better for those?

9. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

What is the flooring material? I don't seem to have any luck keeping felt pads on. I have even tried contact. I now use power bond carpet. It lasts as good as anything.

Daris

10. topshot

topshot Active Member

Full spread IVC 115 gauge

11. Jeff Auld

Jeff Auld Pro Member

For couch, china hautch, tv center or anything big use plactic furniture moving disks, never put anything heavy directly on your floor it will dent andmost likely tear if ever moved. For the fridge they make plactis runnern about 1' wide by 4' long they work great, get 4 of them 1 set place fridge on al the time, cut down length from wall to just past front wheels and the other will slide byside it when not in use. Some people will cut masionite to fridge hole and leave it under it forever. Use the plastic runners for moving the stove also and wouldn't hurt leaving a set under it always also.

12. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Those furniture discs work great over carpet. I don't have the ones for hard surface sliding that have a fuzzy bottom. As for moving the fridge in and out, I use strips of 1/8" masonite. I always have a sheets worth on the truck that has been cut into 6" x 4'. They come in handy more often than not.

13. topshot

topshot Active Member

I've never seen those plastic runners, but I could rip some 1/4" underlayment or buy some masonite to cut up. Good idea.

I don't want the fuzzy bottom for things I don't want to slide. I was just curious since some of those items already have large diameter legs though a coaster under it would obviously be larger still.

May need to buy those ball joint pads for chairs online.

14. Chris Mha

Chris Mha Charter Member Senior Member

Don't waste your hard earned money on the hard surface felt slides. Find a nice thick piece of cut pile carpet. Fuzzy side down makes an amazing hard surface slide. And cheaper too. Cut a bunch of different size squares and store them in your truck.

15. polestretch

polestretch Senior Member

Just make sure there is nothing hiding in the pile! ie: nails, screws, splinters, etc.

16. topshot

topshot Active Member

I thought I would update my experience with my IVC vinyl floor. I ended up cutting some masonite (or similar material) for the appliances. Works well, but it's easy to see underneath the stove and fridge even when cut back to the feet. Oh well.

Found some cheap Waxman chair bottoms for angled legs and added felt pads to the bottom. Seem to work OK, but I'd like to find higher quality ones that may be just a bit larger than 1" diameter and that angle just a bit more so they are truly flat on the floor.

Bought the cheap Waxman plastic coasters for under the table, furniture and EC. I think I need to go with woods ones because the plastic still depress over time and you can see the marks left if moved though they do disappear. Wood coasters should remain flat so I'd assume the depression would not be as noticeable or last as long if the item is moved for some reason. The problem is the wood ones don't match at all. Guess I'll need to paint them.

Thanks for the help.