Movie theater walls

Discussion in 'Carpet Q&A' started by FloorConnoisseur87, Jul 4, 2017.

1. FloorConnoisseur87

FloorConnoisseur87 Pro Member

So I'm an experienced floor installer, but have never carpeted walls to this extent. I'm hoping for some tips. The carpet is real thin, 6ft wide, vertical lines, and the carpet is being installed vertically. Just looking for some tips to make it easier! Thanks

2. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

6' wide and thin makes me think of the cheesy outdoor carpet or boat carpet. Super light to work with but if it's the thin stuff I'm thinking of, glue will squeeze through in a hot second.

I would think a spray adhesive and a few tacks would be sufficient to hold it on to a wall. If you try and trowel glue for this I'd say use a fine notch trowel and let the glue tack a bit before installing. I did one a couple weeks ago with a 1/16 notch and a tad of glue oozed through at one of my tells (The blob that is left when troweling glue and you switch directions). So you can see it doesn't take much to ooze through. Have plenty of wet rags ready.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

How high? What's the substrate? I'd want to use the correct (flammability consult, letter from manufacturer)spray adhesive. Scissor lifts (depending on grade of slab)or telescoping lift times 2, some type of roller for pressing into adhesive.

So fasten up top and let roll down gradually. Side lighting on walls would show any areas that may bubble. I know a local guy that traveled doing theatres.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
  4. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

How high up you going. The last job doing walls I done the carpet was 12' wide and up something like 18 ft. We troweled it on with thin trowel notches off scaffolding. Carpet was designed for walls so it meet the fire codes and such. Fun job in a museum and about 1200 yds. Keep the floor covered and wear a rain hat, just saying.

:old:

Daris

• Like Like x 1
  5. FloorConnoisseur87

I'm not exactly sure how high, I'm starting the job tomorrow, but I'm guessing it's higher near the screen and slopes down towards the seating, or the seating slopes up however you look at it.

6. FloorConnoisseur87

Im not exactly sure how high, I'm starting the job tomorrow, but I'm guessing it's higher near the screen and slopes down towards the seating, or the seating slopes up however you look at it. How did you do your seams? Pre-cut on the ground and fully glue each peice? Any problems with glue oozing through?

7. FloorConnoisseur87

Good ideas. Thankyou.

8. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

What is the product? Then we can tell you on the seams. The walls I have done had rows so we row cut it before putting it on the wall.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Mike Antonetti

I think some of my first posts 5 years ago was for carpet on a wall. Only like 4 ft high but the quality adhesive held very well. I made a double ender roller that worked very well.

Not sure what to fasten with at top, I'd easily say a fueled nailer, not sure of the fastener for it to be effective and to be left in place which would be concealed.

10. kwfloors

I use a tacker and remove the staples after it sets.

11. Jon Scanlan

Jon Scanlan That Kiwi Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Instead of using a trowel when doing shower walls I find a paint roller, pick how much glue you need by the amount of fluff on the paint roller. Don't roll too fast as the glue flicks over your arms
    Beats using a trowel as the glue slips off the trowel Just pick up more glue from the paint roller tray as you go

• Like Like x 2
  12. We used to distribute wall carpet for a lot of years. A few years back we had some larger jobs going and the guys were complaining about the glue coming through. I called Shaw's technical services department and they sent me the two attached documents. Apparently at some point they stopped recommending regular carpet adhesive and started recommending wall fabric adhesive.

At any rate, I hope this helps.

Attached Files:

13. Mike Antonetti

Interesting about a textile wallcovering installer, makes sense. The adhesive drying would be a concern.

I'm thinking the walls are 40ft high.

14. kwfloors

We would let it kick off abit before hanging it up there so it would grab now.

15. richardy

richardy Pro Member

A few years back we did a nursing home with that carpet and we used the fabric adhesive , worked well it was 4 ft high cuts and stayed in place..

• Like Like x 1