Motorhome Rehab

Discussion in 'Hardwood & Laminate Sales and Installations' started by Steve Olson, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Steve Olson

Steve Olson Hardwood/Laminate Guru Charter Member Senior Member

I don't do very many, but I have room at my place, and if they can leave them for a while....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was a fun project when you remove time restrictions

2. Chris Mha

Chris Mha Charter Member Senior Member

I dislike doing motor homes more than than doing boats, which I don't do anymore.

3. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

The one I was asked to do the motor overheated and blew a piston out of state, parts were not available for over a month, now I'm getting calls from friend I think wanting to know when I can start. I guess if price is right it's worth it in the tiny spaces, I think they're frustrating to work in and my term is hate.

4. Steve Olson

They are pretty easy to do once the tear out is done. I think I came out great on it myself. I spent maybe 20 hours on it, give or take, and traded my labor in exchange for using it on out vacation this summer. It's a dang nice RV, and if you've ever priced rentals, I did GOOD.

The hardest part was recarpeting the doghouse over the motor, and up around the driver passenger areas, but no big deal. They were so excited and happy when they came to pick it up, very satisfying. A far cry from doing commercial full cove heat weld in a hospital where its never done fast enough and your surrounded by people that seem to hate their job and lives...Kind of like some flooring installers.

5. Mike Antonetti

The doghouse was my concern when I had an RV, the cab area really has to stay Carpet due to the 3 dimensions, I would have put gluedown vinyl plank had it not leaked.

I think renting RV' is the only way to go. This guy just threw 20 grand to fix the motor, not that he doesn't have it, down here in Florida there's a lot of them parked in storage.

Good barter, he's got you hooked into taking care of it since you have pride in it.

6. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

That RV looks somewhat doable for installing. I have nightmares about installing in a tiny trailer or something. Too many things in tight quarters means I'm gonna hit my head a few times. Nice deal on the trade especially if you got to do it on your schedule at home.

7. I've helped source cork flooring for more than 30 vehicles of the years (including a double decker bus). The biggest problem for my clients is the chip/fibre board.

We have many people who have successfully put down glue down cork tiles. These can go wall, to wall, to wall and even in bathrooms. The problem is the adhesive needs regular plywood...not OSB. Once that hurdle has been overcome, the job goes quickly with cork.

Cork tiles work on counter tops, bench tops and even the table tops...and they keep the weight of the finishings down which is always a concern in a vehicle.

The light weight of the cork is a bonus, the temperature control is a BIG bonus...and then the NOISE CONTROL (road noise and overall noise while parked) is the biggest feature our clients talk about. They feel it is SOOO quiet (which can be an issue if your like to park in less than high-end camp grounds). They didn't realize how much they could hear until the cork took the noise away.

Anyway, Nice work! I think these projects are pretty cool. Tiny houses are all the rage and cork does well in these situations because it is a 3-in-1 product (floor covering, thermal insulator and acoustic insulator). I think Tiny Houses will be come the next "IN" thing to have in the coming years.

8. Steve Olson

Never thought about cork, but, the only time I installed it, was as a floating floor.

Tell me more, or, tell me where to look! Thanks.

9. UncleCliffie

UncleCliffie Charter Member

I carpeted my motor home 30 years ago. No fun for an novice. Shortly there after a customer came into my store wanting his rig redone. He picked out a nice remnant and asked me how much to install. I knew per yardage wasn't going to work. I told him my installer will have to price it out to him. I think I sold the rem for about #100 or so. He came back in screaming like a wounded banshee when he got the labor quote. He did not return the remnant, but after he saw how long it took, he understood the reason for the price.
    Dick

10. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

The last motor home I did was maybe 20 years ago. It was a GMC one of those vintage ones. I quoted and got $400. Ends up there was a company in Fla that did this type of work and that is what they quoted. It was my barber and the motor home was here so he had me do it. What a PIA for a guy my size. For whatever reason I don't remember doing the dog house. But I sure remember doing them back in the hippy days.

:old:

Daris

11. Mike Antonetti

Risky doing work for your barber Daris!, I know some guys around here specialize in the RV carpeting and RV repair. Shag carpet sure was user friendly back in the day.