1. Mickey380

Mickey380 Pro Member

I've been installing carpet and other flooring for over 35 years now, in central and south Florida. For past 10 years, at $4 per yard base, for carpet. With $1 more for furniture residential jobs. I am curious what other installers are getting around the country. I feel like I am getting robbed by the market in my area. I consider myself one of the best around, but find it very hard to make any more money unless I sell the job myself . Any info would be greatly appreciated

2. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

I'm getting 8 dollars a yard for stretch in basic install.
    I live in British Columbia in Canada.

3. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

The money for carpet the retailers pay is just not there. It’s a sad reality, I mean very sad Bullshit fact that skumbags all across the United States condone.

What Retailer stands up for You, None!

I’m @ 100 miles west of you if you’re in Orlando area. So I’d like to hear your average yards you get a day. Whatever you make a day after regular expenses. Then what you need to make a day. I know the feeling, all that fn work, then look at what you made that day, certainly BS.

4. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

Move up north of the mason dixon line and do hard surface.;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Mike Antonetti

Cooler up there as well

6. Chris 45

Less bugs too

7. Mickey380

Mickey380 Pro Member

I'm in Melbourne . I'm gonna guess that you are in the Tampa Bay area. I have family there and wouldn't mind relocating to the area, but still can't see me getting any more $$$$ than right were I'm at.

8. Chris 45

What other surfaces do you install? Do you sell your own jobs? That’s the ticket right there if you’re gonna do carpet. Workin for a shop is only gonna pay you so much.

9. Mickey380

Mickey380 Pro Member

That would be nice if it wasn't so cold. Are able to work year round ?

10. Mark Brown

I havent stopped in over 10 years

11. Mickey380

Mickey380 Pro Member

I can do all flooring, except ceramic. Just not set up for it. I do sell some of my own jobs, but I am a far better installer, than a salesman . Can be time consuming to do both.

12. Mike Antonetti

Melbourne is a nice area and there’s money there though how that gets to your pocket is s different story. I’m north of Tampa 80 miles. I think there’s cheap labor there as well as Orlando.

Here in Citrus County which I know pretty much all the Retailers, not positive but I’d say @ 3.50 yd + .50 yd furnished. I veer away from the carpet crew. They have to bust their ass in order to make decent money. They have full schedules multiple stops etc.

13. Chris 45

Floating floors, man, floating floors. I work for a shop myself cus I don’t wanna deal with all the other stuff. I just like playing with my tools and getting paid to do so. In the big picture carpet don’t pay, tile is a headache that takes multiple days to not get paid and nail down makes my back hurt for not gettin paid. Depending on your area, sheet vinyl might be decent. It was real good in the Carolinas. I was gettin a 28’ or 30’ drop at least once a month. Bigger houses equal bigger yardage for about the same amount of time. Nice pay day right there and vinyl is easy compared to carpet. But floating floors are hands down where the money is at workin for a shop. It’s like putting Legos together all day long. Product is already on site acclimating, no running around to pick shit up, you usually get base and/ or 1/4 round as part of the job to bump up the total, furniture can be shuffled side to side instead of completely removed from a room...

You should make a command decision and open the back doors of your van and kick your carpet tools out right there in the Denny’s parking lot. You can then hit up @Mark Brown for his ‘just divorced carpet’ sign since he’s obviously not going to use it. Then with all the chedda that you’ll be makin from installing floating floors, you throw $100 towards TFP so Jim can buy his neighbor some ear plugs.

My work is done here.

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. Mark Brown

I will have you know I pulled my power stretcher out today Chris so I could restretch a very kind man's 20 year old carpet and it felt GOOOOOOOOOOOOOD
    ....not like the work, or the tools or the whole carpet thing don't get me wrong. Just the helping part lol

• Like Like x 1
  15. Chris 45

I don’t want to bag on carpet too much because it paid my bills for many years. But carpet has changed. It’s morphed into its own entity separate from the rest of floor covering. Carpets huge fudge factor and the fact that you can repair, reseam and restretch it fairly easily have brought down the skill level required by many shops hurting for installers. Get someone to do the install for cheap and so what if you have to send someone out to do a repair. That’s the mentality anymore and I don’t want to be part of it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

We’re about $7 a yard for stretch in carpet basic install over wood. Still not great money and I KNOW that is a good rate. I just bumped it up 10% in January

17. Mike Antonetti

I agree with Chris. Do you fully understand his post. Can you fully engulf what he is saying? It’s the difference of very many more dollars.

I still hate floating floors, maybe one day someone will assist my get this crap off the floor I don’t even like standing on it, gives me e b g b’ z, could have something to do with being in the navy, I like to be on solid ground, even the Daytona oceanfront condo, it’s a box in the sky. Maybe even my motion sickness, I feel floating Floors move and I get dizzy.