molding around equal height fireplace

Discussion in 'Hardwood and Laminates Q&A' started by Brian FitzGerald, Jun 10, 2015.

1. Brian FitzGerald

Brian FitzGerald New Member

Hey guys, I am dealing with a fireplace which is roughly the same height as the floor (though not perfectly even).

In parts it's the same height as the floor exactly in some other spots 1/4" taller than the floor, in the worst spots 3/8" taller than the floor.

I've cut the floor and left and expansion gap around the fireplace base but I'm wondering what's the best way to finish this edge. I think I'd like to do something like this (see photos) but I don't know what kind of molding that is (any ideas?) and how hard it would be to stain it to match the floor finish.

I was thinking of using loctite to glue the molding to the fireplace only and just have it sit on top of the laminate to cover the expansion gap.

Thanks for your thoughts/tips.

Attached Files:

2. nimrod

nimrod Pro Member

t moulding

3. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

T molding is standard. I can't see what exactly the hearth is made of, is it black granite? Be cautious of adhesives staining stone, usually from oils revealing spots, globs, of permanent darkened areas. I use 100% silicone, they do make specific silicone , maybe 2$ more a tube. I put a small bead of adhesive(silicone) along all tile, hard surface, that if grit gets underneath lip there won't be a crunchy sound when stepped on.

Also I fill up the leg of the T with something that hardens, such as construction adhesive, though that will stain granites/marbles. When stepped on, there won't be hollow and crack the molding.
    So Loctite is a brand, not a specific product, used it in the navy to hold bolts in place. You may mean quick grab? Read the tube to see if acceptable should any wick onto other materials.

With the height variation, you may want to capture (overlap)the material hearth1/8-3/16", anymore and the edge of higher hearth tends to raise the lip of T higher. You may need to place weight on the length until adhesive sets. Not sure if your using track, have concrete or wood substrate.

4. nimrod

nimrod Pro Member

to give us a better idea.....take close up pic with new flooring over underlayment right up against hearth....with carpet taken up obviously....