Moisture under floating LVT

Discussion in 'Flooring Potpourri' started by Don Monfils, Oct 4, 2019.

1. Don Monfils

Don Monfils PRO CARPET Charter Member

ADA0A4BE-AA7C-45C7-901D-976B6F854930.jpeg 392AF769-DB42-418C-BDDE-08414341F6FC.jpeg 7B0537AD-F44F-45B9-9FAD-B6109DB009C8.jpeg AA5C751E-B70C-411B-A218-51045B1ACEEC.jpeg I went to look at a job tonight.
    It was a basement in a office building.
    They had floating LVT installed a while back. Now they are getting this white powdery substance ( efflorescence?) coming up between the seams.
    There is a black rubber back walk off mat
    that was placed over one area and there is moisture under the mat.
    I told him I thought the vinyl is trapping the moisture.
    I suggested maybe they should go with carpet as the moisture can escape.
    I mentioned carpet tiles but was wondering if a action backed carpet would allow the moisture escape better.
    Please share your thoughts.

2. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

There are some glues that go up to 99% rh that might accommodate carpet tile

3. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

Yes, the adhesive that's a moiture retarder/barrier with a cushion back carpet tile might work.

4. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti Senior Member

Action back may delaminate/mold if it’s not in/out door carpet.

5. Don Monfils

Don Monfils PRO CARPET Charter Member

I forgot to mention ...there is another room (next to the room with LVP) that has glued down commercial carpet and that has never had a moisture problem.

6. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

Call me crazy, but have you eliminated the possibility of the floor just getting mad soaked during cleaning??
    Removed any planks yet? It sure looks like moisture but I have seen over enthusiastic cleaning practices that have presented the same situation you are describing right now. Sure it's one time in one hundred but hey its worth 40 dollars to throw an RH probe into it to be sure

• Like Like x 1
  7. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

I have seen similar looking spots on glued down lvp I did in a hospital that was attracting the salt from the sidewalks in the winter off of people’s shoes. Not saying that’s what this is (end of summer) but the only way to know is to open it up.