Mohawk style # 9554

Discussion in 'Carpet Sales and Installations' started by Mike Sliwinski, Apr 3, 2017.

1. Mike Sliwinski

Mike Sliwinski The Doctor Is In I Support TFP Senior Member

Ok, this is the apartment carpet I've been installing for years and for the
    most part, able to run shots for seaming, plus stair cuts. Now ! the last
    two orders, appx. 800 yds worth of goods, It will not run shots :mad:

In order to make a nice seam, I must try to follow in-between the secondary backings length shots, using a straight edge, otherwise
    you risk the chance of loosing to many yarns, or having too much
    backing.

Anyway, I guess my question is, what goes wrong in the manufacturing process that doesn't allow a carpet to be row cut.

Thanks
    Mike

2. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

I would probably cut that from the back with a straight edge to make the seams if following the rows wasn't working out.

Pretty sure that's just how cheap, residential carpet is made.

3. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I feel your agony, I don't waste anymore time between row running and alternative cutting methods. I'll mess with row running for 10 or 15 minutes and if it doesn't want to go, out comes the straight edge.

4. Darren Ramey

Darren Ramey Charter Member

There is no shame in straight edging apartment carpet. Sometimes you get lucky on rows sometimes you don't. As for why that is I have no idea, but even higher end carpets seem to be less and less consistent these days.

If I can't get a row, I straightedge. If there is too much backing showing I will trim it out with some shears even if it leaves me with a ragged seam edge. I get a better seam that way than leaving it showing imho.

5. Mike Sliwinski

Thanks Darren, I wanted to touch on this point exactly,
    is there a way to be lucky on every straight edge cut?

I've been row running for so long that I'm now re-visiting
    old ways w/ the straight edge. I'm finding, if you line up the straight edge with the secondary backings ' pic ' right in-between, for the most part, it seems to become close to the same as a row cut edge. I'm presuming the manufacture try's to apply the secondary backing in this way, but seems impossible. Any mill tour members here ? do they explain this process.

To Sum Up,
    Seam sealing straight edged seams becomes problematic, unless you follow in-between the grid, for some reason, it seems to create a row cut edge, allowing for an easier application of seam sealer.

Mike

6. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

By chance did you try folding it over a tube? Sometimes that will open up the row so you can run it. I've been through 8 or 9 mill tours. I think it is just luck that the warp lines line up with a row. But I know what you mean have used the lines myself. At the speed the carpet is traveling its lucky to even have yarn on it.

:old:

Daris

7. Darren Ramey

Darren Ramey Charter Member

I think you are seeing patterns where there aren't any. I don't even trust the straightness of secondary backing when I make cuts off the roll. That stuff is glued on however it lands. It's usually bowed and skewed at a minimum.

I'm going to say no. Not unless you can see the rows through the backing and even then, how often are rows straightedge straight?

I may get crucified for saying this, but I wouldn't even think of seam sealing apartment carpet unless the backing is already falling off. It is the whitewash of the carpet world and its lifespan is a few years at best. Total waste of time. Again, just my opinion, I'm sure an Angel just lost its wings somewhere from me saying that.

8. Mike Sliwinski

Well said Darren, we had discussions before on this, my
    sometimers is kicking in :p

Yes ! now we know why they call it 'Secondary' because it's
    ' Seconds ' :p and falling off.

The power stretching and seam sealing allows a clean, short term tenant the opportunity to get security money back because the landlord can now clean the carpet at a minimal expense. That happens maybe 2 out of 10 times ( guesstimate) No Power, no sealer and who knows ?.............Plus I have to go home with myself, no hiding from that crazy perfectionist. :D

Mike