Mohawk SmartStrand and Dixie Home Nylon

Discussion in 'Carpet Q&A' started by Debbie H, Mar 9, 2017.

1. Debbie H

Debbie H Member

Hi all, I'm new here but have been reading posts for the past two weeks. It's all so confusing, and once I think I have a question answered, 2-3 more pop into my head. A little knowledge can be a dangerous thing : )

We are putting new carpet throughout our house, I'm guessing 250-275 yards. (also refinishing wood floors in kitchen/dinette and entry, but we're good with that.) A little background, we have four kids, but they are all in college and not home much, except part of the summer and a few weekends here and there. We have a small dog, who is very good in the house (I hope I'm not jinxing myself now!). It is just my husband and myself, we are over 55, and plan to move in the next 5-6 years. We would like the carpet to still look good enough for selling the house at that time, and we are choosing neutral colors, but nothing too light.

Our family room is totally separate from other carpeting in the house, and we had picked out a Mohawk SmartStrand Silk Forever Clean triexta, Serene Selection, 56 oz, 2567 density, twist 7. We love the softness, and the casual, speckled coloring is just what we wanted. Then I started seeing all the negative reviews and comments, here and elsewhere. Am I making a mistake with this carpet in the family room? The softness is one of the big draws, but then I read how you shouldn't go barefoot on it as the oils from your skin will cause soiling that can be difficult if not impossible to remove. We like to sit on the floor and play with our dog, and play board games, and just lounge around, so maybe triexta isn't for us? But why make such a soft-to-the-touch carpet if you shouldn't touch it with your skin? Also, I'm confused... I thought triexta was made from corn, but I see a number of people categorizing it with polyester, and even saying it's a type of polyester.

And yes, I know I will likely need a new vacuum, I've been researching those as well. As for thinking I'd ever actually make a successful claim from any manufacturer, I wouldn't hold my breath unless the carpet was truly defective. I'm not blaming any carpet inspector, but it seems from what I've read that there is almost always a loophole for the manufacturer to dismiss a claim, from using the wrong vacuum, to it's just normal wear and tear and not covered.

Anyway... For the rest of the house (living/dining room, stairway, upstairs hallway and bedrooms) we're looking at Dixie Home... two styles, Memories 52 oz, 3364 density, 6.0 twist and Invincible 52 oz, 2773 density, 6.0 twist. Both are Stainmaster SuperiaSD BCF nylon 6.6. One of them is a slightly taller pile height which to me says it will show matting quicker. I can't remember which one it is (Invincible I think), but one is definitely longer. Would one of these be better than the other, or are they so close it doesn't matter and we should go with the color/pattern we prefer? Will both of these hold up well on stairs and hallways?

Wow, that was way longer than I intended. I do respect and appreciate all opinions, so thank you in advance for any advice you can give.

2. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

I think you should get what you want and to H with everyone else. My reasoning the time frame is good enough to enjoy it(getting your money's worth for the timeframe) and yet should be in sufficient shape for the sale date.

Live well!

3. Debbie H

Debbie H Member

Thanks for the reply. And I agree, to a certain extent. But I'm still concerned about triexta looking matted and soiled within a couple years. Does anyone have any fairly recent experience with triexta, installed in say the last 2-3 years? How does it look after 2-3 years? How has it held up?

4. Jeff Short

Jeff Short Veteran Flooring Retailer

I've sold Triexta yarn carpet since it was introduced, and I have it in my own living room and on a stairway. It's been down for over five years, and it has held up extremely well. We sell quite a bit of it, and problems have been minimal... no wear or texture related claims. As far as what it is, the Federal Trade Commission has given the yarn it's own name, Triexta. Yes, it's in the polyester family, but I wouldn't have it in my house if it was an inferior product. Both of your choices should serve you well.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Debbie H

Debbie H Member

Jeff, Thank you! That's what I was looking for, someone who has triexta, has had it for several years, and can state that it's held up well. And from someone in the industry, as well.

Might I ask, how have you maintained it? How often have you had it cleaned (steam cleaned I assume), and what vacuum do you use on it? If you can, please specify a "make and model" on the vacuum. I've seen reviews on some vacs where people say they work on super soft carpets, then other people say they don't. I understand that what you use may not work on the exact carpet I'm looking at, but it's a starting point.

One other thing... our small dog (15 pounds) sometimes runs in circles around the room. Should I be concerned about her nails snagging or pulling fibers on a soft triexta carpet? We are looking at cut loop only.

Thanks!

6. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

Please clarify that. Do you mean cut AND loop pile, cut pile or loop pile? The actual style name would be even more helpful (unless it's private labeled, which means it could be any made up name).

7. Debbie H

Debbie H Member

Sorry about that... we're looking at a cut pile (plush) carpet. Mohawk SmartStrand Silk, style Serene Selection. I'm just not sure if Triexta fibers will hold up to our 15 pound dog who occassionally runs circles around the family room. I'm wondering if it will hold up to her running or if it may snag or pull fibers loose. There are no actual loops on the finish of the carpet.

8. Jeff Short

Jeff Short Veteran Flooring Retailer

It's an outstanding carpet. You should have no problems. But, some vacuum cleaners will "lock up" on the SmartStrand Silk fiber. Here is the website for certified vacuum cleaners... Certified Vacuums - The Carpet and Rug Institute, Inc. | Dalton, GA 30722

9. Debbie H

Debbie H Member

OK, we have the selection narrowed down. Trying to decide on which face weight / density to purchase. Carpet chosen is Mohawk SmartStrand, twist 5.5. Yes, I would like higher twist, but we found a color that worked throughout the entire house, which turned out to be the biggest battle.

Trying to decide between style Brilliant Influence, face weight 65 oz, density 2929, pile height .813 (from Mohawk's website) or style Generous, face weight 55 oz, density 2752, pile height .72 (calculated 36 / density * fw = pile height). They are the same carpet, just different fw/density/pile height. I guess the pile height is what concerns me the most, being this carpet will be on a stairway and throughout the upstairs hallway.

Carpet salesman is insisting the higher density and face weight are most important indicators of how the carpet will hold up. BTW, the more "plush" Brilliant Influence is on promotion for $1 less per yard, which in my mind isn't enough to sway me based on price alone.

Any thoughts?