Mishandled Materials

Discussion in 'Commercial Flooring Sales & Installation' started by Incognito, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

In our union there is actually a classification "Material Handler" for the guys who work in the warehouse, drive the trucks, demo, furniture--------everything that's NOT installation related.

Well, that's a VERY important part of the entire process. From manufacturing to distributor to shop/store to the job site and on the job site it's fairly EASY to F' up just about any kind of flooring when there are unskilled, uneducated Neanderthals handling the goods or careless, sleazy operators ordering otherwise reasonable men about without regard to the impact on the condition of the flooring.

I see the crap all the time. No doubt this VCT was abused like a redheaded stepchild somewhere along the line. I think I can save it with a propane torch and a couple hours back and forth with the 100 lbs. roller.

Attached Files:

2. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

I left a box drooping over drywall cart, they curled upward when set, the retailer thought it was a defective box. I would have said no if we couldn't correct it. When we use to deliver product it should be stacked neat and precise, just a little overhang causes distortion. Vinyl plank is susceptible, I'm sure others will run into this. It's hard to know when down the line boxes were not stacked precise, I know we stacked on trailer and on site correctly I'd like to say its product sometimes from manufacturer, but unable to verify.

3. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

But those little boxes are heavy. Turn up the heat, it will settle down.

4. Commercial Floor Rep

Commercial Floor Rep I Support TFP Published

I'm always amazed when I go into customers warehouses how badly they mishandle material which, in turn, causes extra work for their own guys. When I started here, I worked in the lowest job in our warehouse, cutting sheet vinyl for orders. Over the next 2 years I learned how important storing material properly is.

Back when manufacturer's actually printed installation guide books, they use to have a whole section of stuff on proper storage of the material. For example not double stacking pallets of VCT because it damages the lower cartons due to the weight. It's even worse when it's hot. I've seen customers double stack skids in their warehouse a ton because of space constraints or just because they don't know. Usually they got some big strong kid fresh out of high school who has no clue the problems he's causing. They never think to take them aside and explain why certain things are done a certain way until something like this happens.

At any rate, that's a total bummer. Even though it'll probably be ok like you said, it's a ton of extra work and no one makes enough money on jobs anymore to do a bunch of extra labor.:(

5. Incognito

As long as they dont wash it before it lays flat. If they soak it with one of those commercial scrubbers before it's well bonded that soapy water gets underneath.

6. Steve Olson

Steve Olson Hardwood/Laminate Guru Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I see pallets of CoreTec over strapped, causing distortion in the top boxes on the outside rows. The use of those heavy cardboard corners help, but they still manage to miss on occasion.

7. Incognito

Will it eventually flatten out or is there some permanent, irreparable damage?

I've never actually seen VCT that couldn't be warmed up and manipulated into the adhesive to lay flat------assuming it was installed correctly.

8. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Administwative Asst. Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

The new LVP is also susceptible to distortion if double stacked.

9. Jon Scanlan

Jon Scanlan That Kiwi Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

We used to get boxes of vinyl planks laid criss crossed on the pallets which ended up a funny shape after sitting in shipping containers going through the equator getting cooked then cooling down in that shape getting to our colder climate
    Now days they lay each box on top of each other so the planks are flat
    Years ago they also laid the rolls of vinyl down in the containers so we ended up with these wavy rolls which took a long time to flatten

10. Incognito

Oh, you mean back when the GLUE was actually glue and not a 10-15 minute paste that was dead as a doornail once it's "working time" has expired?

You'd have to throw those rolls away nowadays unless you could use REAL GLUE------and not some BS that was specified by some green freak or manufacturer trying to prove something.

Spent about an hour and a half to two hours softening up the VCT and rolling the seams down. I started with the apprentice pushing the 100 lbs roller immediately over the tiles as I heated them. That wasn't very effective. Next I went to the hand roller in one hand and the torch in the other. Did about 75% of the floor like that and it was a big improvement. Near the end I realize the best treatment was just the dull blade of a 1" putty knife gently but firmly rubbing down the seams as they were warmed by the torch. That's what wound up working to soften the curled edges AND the adhesive underneath to get the seams flat. SOLD...........I hope!!!

Attached Files:

11. eaadams

eaadams Sport Floor Pro

I've had one product over 20,000sf come in damaged because the Corp suits have never had to move a handtruck of vinyl in their life. That manufacturer has always come through even airfreighting 10000# of material. But always realize all sides make mistakes.

Just this week I strapped some oscada tiles and now am thinking ... I might have over strapped it. Will have to see if I get a call.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

12. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

The last one I just did they put a 4x4 sheet of mdf board on top and bottom of the pallet. Really protects the product good.

Now all that tile that you just torched the heck out of it and rolled can shrink. I saw guys, back when we were doing 30,000 sq. ft, torching cut ins around steel posts that we just went around. The tile would be like a rag and they throw it in the spot and trim it in fast. By the end of the job you could see those 4 tiles around all the posts had gaps around the tiles.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017