Milliken Carpet Tiles for Basement?

Discussion in 'Carpet Q&A' started by nmhopkins1, May 14, 2013.

1. nmhopkins1

nmhopkins1 Member

I've had recent basement flood and had to remove 1-month old Mohawk Smart Strand carpet & pad. I'm now looking for something to replace it and came across Milliken carpet tiles, which have no adhesive and are supposed to stay in place like a post-it note. I'm not interested in a do-it-yourself project--just trying to find the best product in case the basement ever floods again. Does anyone have experience with these tiles? Would you recommend them for this situation

2. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Sorry to hear of your flood. You weren't able to save your other carpet with a drying and cleaning?
    One thing with carpet tiles is they are easy to get up and taken out and let dry. But I would still have them cleaned depending on what type of flood you have sewer or otherwise. My granddaughter is in the same process as I type this.

:old:

Daris

3. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

Post it notes have adhesive, not a good analogy. Milliken was a good man from what ive read, he was walking the floor when i toured his mill back in 1996? I would recommend his products, they are quality.

4. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

Yes, Milliken makes a great carpet tile and they're not a bad choice for a basement floor. I'm glad to hear you're hiring professionals because they may need to do something to deal with moisture in the slab. The BACKING you choose will determine what adhesives might work. If there's ZERO adhesive that may not be necessary but all the carpet tiles I've laid in the past 25-35 years AT LEAST called for adhesive along the perimeter of the room and then grids in larger size areas.

I like the cushion back tiles for your situation. I don't believe they would be RUINED in a flood situation but you would have to pull them out and let them and the substrate dry thoroughly-----probably have to re-glue in that case. We've put MILLIONS of yards of that stuff down. I believe some modest "damp" from the earth below the basement can "breath" through the backing. The tricky part would be any adhesive reaction to high alkalinity. Your installer/shop should be able to recognize or better yet TEST for it before using any glue. Basements are pretty much always a problem for our floors, glue and patch.

ENHANCER? Technology for Cushioned Carpet

5. Curt Durand

Curt Durand Resting In Peace Charter Member I Support TFP Published

From personal experience, do not expect the seams to blend away on the Legato cut pile tiles.

6. Erin

Erin Pro Member

Hi nmhopkins1!

My name is Erin and I work with Milliken floor covering on a variety of communications activities. I came across this post and wanted to share some insight for you from the Milliken team.

Milliken's Legato carpet tiles are focused on consumers interested in easy DIY solutions, but also offer ease of maintenance benefits and vital antimicrobial protection. The product also comes with a cushion backing system called TractionBack, which is less costly and environmentally superior. The no “peel,” just “stick” technology offers easy installation, while allowing the carpet to stay firmly in place.

Good luck with your basement renovations! Please let us know if you do have any more questions that we can help answer.

7. nmhopkins1

nmhopkins1 Member

Thanks to all who responded. A question to Erin - how level does a concrete floor need to be to use Legato tiles? The floor was not level enough for slate or porcelain tile. The floor slopes to where a drain used to be. Will this be a problem?

8. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

nmhopkins1,

The Milliken installation instructions do not specify the degree of flatness required for the Legato carpet tiles. This is all it says:

You should understand that, even though carpet tiles are flexible, these are installed loose, so they can't be stretched or compressed to mitigate the distortion an uneven floor may cause. If you lay part of a tile over a slope to a drain, the squareness of the tile will distort, causing the surrounding tiles to gap away or overlap the distorted tile. Therefore, you will need to make the floor flat and on the same plane as the rest of the floor.

If you want to maintain the integrity of the drain, even though you are not currently using it, you can use something like duct tape to cover the drain and then use a floor patching compound to fill in the low spot. At some future date, the patch can be broken out, the tape removed and the drain will be functional again.

Instructions should be included with your product. You can also download them here: Legato® Installation Instructions:pdf:

Jim

9. Erin

Erin Pro Member

Hi nmhopkins1!

Thank you for your question! Un-level floors are okay and often mean that there is a slight slope to an existing drain. Residential carpet tiles are more forgiving than porcelain or ceramic tile due to the inherent flexibility of the backing.

Uneven floors are the larger issue. Large humps or bumps greater than 1/8" would need to be smoothed down, and large cracks or divots greater than 1/8" deep would need to be filled in.

I hope this was helpful. Please advise if you have any more questions!

10. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Administwative Asst. Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Erin, I am assuming you meant 1/8" in a 6 ft span (as that is the industry standard)?

With residential carpet tiles they may show a small gap but will blend normally. However they are tile and will show the seams to some extent.

11. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

Most of the floor drains I've seen, when you lay a 6' straight edge across them, are quite low, making the lowest point 3/8" or more. That would distort the carpet tile, I would think. Gaps would be more than 1/8". Let's not forget the OP is talking about tiles that don't glue down, which make this situation even more problematic.

Jim