Microsoft Surface Pro 4

Discussion in 'High Tech Tools & Equipment Support' started by Commercial Floor Rep, Jan 13, 2017.

1. Commercial Floor Rep

Commercial Floor Rep I Support TFP Published

Man,

I've been looking at these for a while now and finally bought one. Wow!!! This thing has already replaced my laptop and my iPad. It is an awesome tool!

Anybody else who is thinking about one, I highly recommend it. It's fast, fast, fast and my laptop was top of the line and this thing blows it away.

It's a bit spendy but I have no regrets what so ever!

2. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

I've read reviews and watched videos. It's definitely on my covet list, but will probably never make my shopping list. :(

[edit]Oops, I thought we were talking about the Microsoft Surface Studio.[/edit]

3. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Administwative Asst. Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

If I thought I could get away with it I would give ya one free. I told my boss i may leave it on top of the car and drive away.......OOPS i guess it got damaged!

I have carried a Dell 15" laptop for years, never a problem, some salesperson complained it was too heavy and hurt their back, workmans comp agreed. Company decided to get new Surface Pro 4, OK..
    1. It fought with our existing printers, so new HP printers followed.
    2. The detachable flat keyboard is not good for continuous use, so new wireless keyboard and mouse follow.
    3. 13" screen is too small for use as a desktop, new 21 inch monitor arrives.
    4. OOPS only one USB port, so a "block" arrives with multiple connections.
    5. When on the road you need specific connectors for HDMI, USB etc. to connect to a customers TV or projector to display training programs. I think I have 5 specialty items @ $30 apiece.
    6 There is no internal wireless card or availability so off to Verizon for a MiFi setup for each unit.

For what they hodge-podged together I could have the best Dell Business computer available. The worst part is that when moving from the docking station to portable/tablet use it will not hold the settings (icons change size, print size changes, etc.).

Rant over........:mad::eek:

4. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

Oh, oops, my mistake. I thought we were talking about the Microsoft Surface Studio. THAT looks like one nice desk top computer.

5. Don Monfils

Don Monfils PRO CARPET Charter Member

Someone hurt there back carrrying a laptop?:eek:
    They better be careful carrying their car keys and a cup of coffee at the same time?:D

6. Commercial Floor Rep

Commercial Floor Rep I Support TFP Published

I knew going into it that I was going to need a docking station and monitor in the office and at home so I expected that. Mine has wireless built into it, I didn't even know there was an option to not have wireless, or maybe you mean a phone card. I get around that by pairing it with my iPhone via hotspot.

For the issue of hooking up at a clients office, I bought a Chromecast. It just plugs into there display or TV via HDMI port and then you can transmit your screen to it. Works great for Powerpoints and videos. but you can also buy an HDMI wired or wireless adapter that will plug into the mini HDMI port right on the side of the Surface itself. I get what your saying though, it's a lot of extra accessories to purchase. But I find it's been no different than what I experienced trying to use my iPad Pro Air as a replacement for my laptop in the field. The advantage is this actually works and I can run the regular software that I normally run rather than an app.

The one I bought has an i7 processor, 16GB of RAM, 512GB solid state drive. The only thing I had to change around a bit was how it wants to put all your files on OneDrive. That was a bit annoying, but since I worked out the settings it's been fine. I also added a 256GB microSD card for some additional room, since I have a lot of image files for installations, claims, and product images. I don't like to totally rely on Cloud storage.

At any rate so far so good.