Mentoring passing it forward

Discussion in 'Industry News, Training & Organizations' started by RFI, Dec 27, 2014.

1. RFI

RFI Mr. Nefarious Senior Member

Just curious how many of you think about helping the younger generations out and mentoring? Just because!

I know of a great younger kid that is into this business that I really enjoy helping when asked. There is a wealth of knowledge here and the best in the industry. I encourage all of you to pass your knowledge and experience on!

2. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Administwative Asst. Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Two ways to do that.:)

1. Personally, help them in any way you can. I get paid to do this.
    2. Invite them here, they will benefit enormously.:yesss:

3. Majwoody

Majwoody Pro Member

One of the funnest things I've ever done is teach others. I have shown few in this trade but I am on the younger side. I soak up what the older tradesmen give me then try to utilize what I can. I have taken a few guys out shooting who were enlisting and to take what I learned and help others was more fun than pulling the trigger myself. The probproblem with trying to teach people in this trade is finding the ones who wish to learn and who are open minded. To those that share their knowledge, thank you. To those who seek to learn or are coming up, respect the time of those who are trying to give you something. Whether you'll use it or not, it's a gift and should be accepted.

4. Mike Sliwinski

Mike Sliwinski The Doctor Is In Senior Member

Another new nephew is starting tomorrow, I come from a big family.

Out of 21 total, this one makes it 9 ea. All having the pleasure ? :ohno:
    working with me part time ! :cool:

PS > 4 more potential candidates in the future, if I last. :yesss: Sorry to say, out of those eight, no full time installer to be had, just educated consumers, or maybe a DIY ...........Fingers crossed on this one, he has the potential.

Mike

5. Z-Carpet

Z-Carpet Pro Member

20 years old here I'll take any mentoring ! :yesss:

6. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

I am mentoring a high school student right now. It's a "senior project" (meaning HS senior, not old guy senior). It's not flooring related, but it is something I have been deeply involved in for quite a few years now: website development. It's interesting and he hasn't gotten all pissed off and left yet. We meet about once a week and do a number of different things. It has to be logged and photographed and I really hope he ends up with a decent website (it's for his mother's bakery business).

Jim

7. Mike Sliwinski

I guess that means a fresh supply of backed goods :yesss: once a week :coffee: Good job Jim !

Mike

8. Mike Sliwinski

Even from the Doctor ?........... who's really just a patient :p

Anytime young Mr. Z , I would be happy to work along side and give what-ever I can.

Mike

9. Hanover Fist

Hanover Fist Pro Member

Doing lots of mentoring as a Cub Scout Den Leader for my son's den.
    Hard work, lots of training and preparation.
    Totally worth it.

10. Jim McClain

You mean baked goods? :ohno: Too heavy, too sweet for me. If she made rhubarb pie, I'd be in trouble. ;)

11. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Administwative Asst. Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Ask....you may receive!!

Never hurts to ask!

12. Jim McClain

I have, I have. :(

13. Crash1big

Crash1big Pro Member

As a lover of God and a preacher I have a "mentoring" role all around. Especially with my two nephews. Not only am I teaching them about the many aspects of running a successful business but the moral aspects of life too. It is a challenge but rewarding. :)