Material Handling of gluedown carpet disposal

Discussion in 'Tools, Equipment and Supplies' started by Mike Antonetti, Nov 24, 2017.

1. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

Just looked at a job my brother bid and got of carpet ripup, LVT, and adhesive removal. Not sure of yardage but the carpet in the whole hallway and couple of rooms can come up easy by pulling by hand. What is the most efficient way of cutting it up? I’m thinking little less than 3 ft wide to get through commercial doors and piling it up on a “float”,U boat, platform Dolly.

So job starts Monday, I have two days to get. Northern Tool has em for 180, Craigslist has 25 of them for 60$ each but I emailed the seller twice and it’s an hour&half away. I think loading is easy, then dumping, easy access to unload fast.

Attached Files:

2. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

I like to cut the carpet into bite size manageable pieces. Maybe 3’ wide max by whatever length you find comfortable. Not sure if I’d buy one of those dollys due to me probably only using it once. I say that now but as soon as I get a job in a high rise I’ll be wishing I had one. I do have a hand truck. I’d prolly make due with that.

3. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

We just did 1200 yards of hallways. Loaded everything on a flat cart and had a couple of bungee cords to hold it together. Cart was 32ish inches wide and 4 feet long. Hall way was 4 foot wide panels so up they came and on the cart they went. Strap em all together and out to the truck they go. It was a little barbaric but it worked

• Like Like x 1
  4. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

Buy a hand truck that converts into a 4 wheel dolly. Costco sells them for $100 and they work great for tons of things, especially lugging your tools around a commercial job

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Mike Antonetti

Probably going to get more Removal Jobs, they’re all not coming up this easy, I’d like two so one going to dump the other starting to fill. I have a pallet jack at fabricators garage to use at his convenience, might keep that there too, or put in storage which I organized today. Was thinking I’m finally getting my act together after the recession, I get home and the wife says there’s a letter from IRS. And down goes the whack-a-mole!

6. Mike Antonetti

I have one(magliner) that’s disabled, the jacket on upright wheel came off and I pulled the wheel off, thought I had replacement shopping cart wheel but was different. Then the bottom angle is cracked, bought another dolly to use that part for it and get a longer scoop so when I go to tilt back a tote of tile it doesn’t want to tip forward. Research hasn’t found the longer base. Some things are still pieces/parts.

I was thinking that convertible handcart but the one side doesn’t have the tall upright.

7. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

I just got the willies thinking about that. IRS, DMV, Child Support... Nothing good is ever in those envelopes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Mark Brown

I get two out of three of those envelopes. One time I had good news.... 2.87 refund for overpayment. I was blown away.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Mike Antonetti

One of my last thorns to deal with aside from my health issues in the future. Yay

10. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

IRS is always confused. o_O

11. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

I save my used utility blades to be used in the glass cutter on glue down carpet demo jobs. If the carpet comes up easy I will rip into strips no wider than the doorways/elevator cab. We stack the carpet about 4 to 5 feet high on standard 4 wheel moving dollies to be rolled out to a dumpster or truck. When the carpet is harder to pull up or requires the Turbo stripper then we cut into strips just a tad narrower than the blade of the machine. Either way when the carpet is loose from the floor you roll/fold it loosely enough so it stacks well enough to not fall off the dolly in transport.

I've used carts like the one you're showing. They are not any easier to move around than a standard furniture dolly. New Haven Moving Equipment is a good source for moving equipment.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Mike Antonetti

Good tips, flopping the carpet flat. too late though I bought the blue Dolly’s. Guy got them from family dollars closing.

For small scraps I suppose a wide wheel barrel will do. One of mine doesn’t fit thru a 36 door though.

Got my cutters ready, toss up 50/50 if I’ll bring my ride on for the LVT, about 500 ft open, then cabinets inside kitchen area for maybe walk behind or flex blade. Then all the adhesive removal takes place.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Mike Antonetti

The carpet removal went well. The width was a bit hard to control, then putting on cart to maintain less than 36”. Luckily the door was like 42? and I shimmied the cart out. One small pile test run, then piled half high and the balance maybe half again.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  14. Darren Ramey

Darren Ramey Charter Member

Just run by your local grocery store and grab a couple carts. They will hold a ton of material, and they hold up well. Hell some people even live out of them! You don't even need a place to store them, just drop them off at the nearest store when you are done and pick up some new ones on the next job.

I kid, I kid! Jeez stop looking at me like that.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  15. Mark Brown

.....I don't believe your kidding :)
    Too much conviction in that story.

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Don Monfils

Don Monfils PRO CARPET Charter Member

When I rip up carpet and want to keep it all close in width ,I have marked the carpet every 3 foot with a marker
    ( or whatever witdth you you want) then snap chalk lines and the marks .
    I bought one of those Crain jus push cutters years ago. I ripped up 1000 yards of commercial carpet with on one job. It worked awesome .
    After that I bought a new blade and new pointed thingamajig .
    The tool never work the same again .
    The blade would slip and get caught in the carpet .

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Mark Brown

it's so true!!

18. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I go to wallyworld every six months or so to buy 20+ bags of softener salt. They had them up by the door but moved them to the back wall so we have to cart them to the front. No pallet jack to be found, I grab the first employee to help and he loads up a cart with like 8, 25lb. bags. Didn't make it 10 feet without collapsing. Those carts are wimpy.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. Mike Antonetti

I brought marker spray paint but at the time I assumed carpet was running long ways. Side to side I just started cutting random. The jus push cutter worked decent, I was concerned it would flop apart. Thought about selling it but now figure I have to make money with the tools I bought instead of taking a hefty loss trying to sell them.

The U boats I bought are thick steel, just the main wheel jacket cover disintegrated off and the hard plastic wheel remains. Will try to find some wheel material that won’t fall apart.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
  20. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

The hard rubber wheels on a premium quality moving dolly are what we need for constant heavy loads in and out of job sites. Nothing plastic will endure nor will it move easily across rougher terrain. A lot of the carts/dollies made have VERY cheap plastic wheels that are barely adequate for a couple of rolls across PERFECT floors like sealed concrete or VCT-------even VCT can suffer scratches, gouges and indentations from the poorly conceived plastic wheel traffic. When you need to make dozens of trips out to a rough asphalt parking lot to a truck or dumpster the wheels are TOAST before the job is done.

EXAMPLE: Inexpensive shop vacs also have those ultra cheap plastic wheels that fail within a couple of hours on a construction site. I take them off with a pair of pliers and set the vacuum atop a decent 4-wheel dolly (RUBBER WHEELS!!!!)

• Agree Agree x 2