Mark Forums Read

Discussion in 'TFP Support and Feedback' started by Incognito, Aug 31, 2017.

1. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

It's there

and then it's not there

I'm confused

It's a feature I depend on to screen through the dozens/hundreds of posts I'm not interested in.

In the previous format I always knew where to find it. What happened?

2. Hanover Fist

Hanover Fist Pro Member

If it's not there, it's behind the three dots (...)
    Had the same problem until I ham-handed the answer. Seems like I've done that a lot in my life...

Speaking of three dots...

3. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

It's still there; you're prob'ly just not familiar enough yet with the new software. And now, more than with the previous software, it's important to know what device you are using to access the site. The answers are different, if you are using a mobile device, like a smartphone or tablet. I mostly use my PC and more than half our visitors/users also use a PC or Mac computer. This is what we see:

mark-forums-read01.jpg

Above, you see circled in red, two places you will find the Mark Forums Read link on the forum home page and in the New Posts page. Actually, the one in the top menu bar is on every page of the forums - anywhere you can see a list of forums, topics or forum discussion. You won't see it in the albums, the PM/Conversation area or any other place that doesn't meet that criteria. In Forum Home or the New Posts page, if you click either of those, you get this:

mark-forums-read02.jpg

Here you can confirm you want to mark avery forum read (or cancel out). Click that and you won't be reminded again of any new post that was made before you clicked it. You will be shown all new posts made after you click that though, the next time you visit (or stick around long enough and just refresh the page).

What I like about the Mark Forums Read link in the sub-navigation menu is that it's a sticky menu - it is stuck to the top of the browser window even when you scroll the page all the way down.

mark-forums-read03.jpg

If you only want to mark specific forums read, not all of them, you can do that...

mark-forums-read04.jpg

You can do that while in a thread that's in the forum you don't want to read anymore, or...

mark-forums-read05.jpg

When you go into the forum, where there is a list of all the threads. Clicking the Mark Forums Read link will also give you the option to mark all forums read.

Yes, you are referring to the menu that is usually displayed on mobile devices. There's the standard mobile menu button that looks like this: mobile-menu1.png and the ellipse link that is, like you said, 3 dots (). On my mobile phone, the ellipse is just to the right of the menu item Unanswered Threads. If you are logged in, you will see Mark Forums Read after clicking or tapping those buttons/links.

I hope that helps with your dilemma, Incognito. Let me know if it doesn't. I will also search to see if there is something I can add as a feature to make marking forums read more convenient, no matter what device you use.

4. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

Thanks guys.

Found the .... and the other place I hadn't noticed it on the new posts listings.

• Like Like x 1