Many factors causing my epoxy coating project...seeking advice.

Discussion in 'Concrete Floor Finishes' started by sinpauk, Jul 25, 2018.

1. sinpauk

sinpauk SIN PAUK FLOORING SERVICE

Hello everyone!

I've been in flooring industry for 12 years but my focus was on Vinyl materials. But I hope whatever materials we are on, we all have to deal with subfloor preparation and must seen and solve moisture problem. I do some resin (epoxy) installation for years as well but not many.
    Here's I really need an advice for my current case. I know I shouldn't take this project since there are 2 contractors already gave up to fix the floor. On the other hand the factory really must repair their floor. Otherwise, they cannot extend their GMP certificate for production.

This is failed epoxy (2nd time with previous suppliers)
    dd.jpg

Then we start to take over .... removing those epoxy so fast and easy.
    Untitled_Page1.jpg

I did..wash off with cleaning agent to terrazzo surface. let it dry (but the room is air tight and no HVAC or proper ventilation at all). Then applied Uzin PE460 2 component MVR follow 2 layer method with sand broadcast. Then machine sanding with 120 grits.
    Untitled_Page5.jpg
    Then .... test epoxy to various location and leave for a week.
    Untitled_Page6.jpg
    Since there's no bubble and not peel off. Start applying epoxy (solvent free, self leveling epoxy PENTENTS 603). but after a week....it happened to be...
    0-02-06-1cdc9065f027e9e63a5abb0fec29b177e2642d69fed5b47d9c49a7ebcc3fda2d_34d04e0e.jpg 0-02-06-763f3ebaadc5a1f94aacbd232be5433efc8f1709996856fd918214ef8ea5f1a0_ca8368a0.jpg 0-02-06-40d05f207ff48305fd41dc721e925a6da8a7c9f755ae1e4ef45d99cc0577df9b_46fa8263.jpg 0-02-06-0bbc9ddd7f62594a5d7c2995b6b0b816c1f48a54de5a8aeabb69c4030bb34dee_c0c0bcc9.jpg

But here's few more
    1. The room have no air condition. No ventilation. Very high humidity level and hot. It's always feel moisture in the air. Temperature reading 37C and RH 90%

2. Every steps, it took quite longer (more days) to dry and set. Rain almost everyday as well.

3. Epoxy were mixed properly and applied but start from 4 set, epoxy resin parts where happen to be like this. Supplier said, sorry and most of this color batch in stock are like this.
    Untitled_Page3.jpg
    4. Terrazzo thickness 10mm (1cm), and concrete subfloor below terrazzo is below 50mm (less than 2 inches). Here's what i found when I check for it. see photos below.

5. Client start using the room day after we covered all area. (said; they have guest coming and must show them the medicine production process). Plenty of water use to wash the floor and wall everyday on production period.
    crack.JPG crack 2.JPG

Last edited: Jul 25, 2018
  2. epoxyman

epoxyman Pro Member

Did you grind the old floor to receive the new floor??

Did you use a primer after grinding??

You speak of water that’s a big no epoxy will not stick to anything with water around.

Looks to me it’s a bonding issue as in bad prep or the epoxy was starting to setup as you was installing it.

This week I had to have Mike and Tony rip out another floor the 1st epoxy guy just kept layering the floor over top of old stuff so it was coming up.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

I don’t know this “moisture barrier” over top liquid applied mitigation, but obviously moisture is traveling up the slab.

What kind of slab pour is that for an industrial application? I’d say it’s a tearout slab and repour.

The pictures are fantastic, I thought it was a scam post so I appreciate the truthfulness.

4. sinpauk

Thanks epoxyman:
    Yes I did grind well and used primer...actually the bubbles appeared along the way where they break down the terrazzo and slab to insert waste hot water pipe. Then as you see, the contractor filled with sand do skim patched on top.... Bubbles filled with water just along the "second picture gray color blocks" where waste hot water pipe insert beneath. For the rest of the area it's really hard to remove.

07 - YEE SHIN PHARMA A.jpg
    07 - YEE SHIN PHARMA B.jpg
    07 - YEE SHIN PHARMA C.jpg
    07 - YEE SHIN PHARMA D.jpg

5. sinpauk

The building is too old and slab structure is quite weak. like <100mm slab over very high water table soil. and on top just sand bedded terrazzo topping around 8-10 mm. that's it.
    0-02-06-61d0ea8a29137f9a693e52a82955ed33f9d3f15d9cc14c8b52f6bffc2d0e8aee_10b65b90.jpg

6. epoxyman

epoxyman Pro Member

With epoxy you can not go right over newly pored concrete you have to wait at least 30 days or 10 days for Koster and dur a flex MVP
    I fill in all holes with epoxy and sand mix
    Then coat the floor

Also did anyone do a moisture test as in a RH test cause we do them on each job and keep records of what’s going on.

7. sinpauk

1) It's not newly pored concrete. Frankly it's old terrazzo substrate.
    2) I did fill all open pore and seal the cracks with 2c epoxy based sand mixed motor.
    3) This is the lowest moisture of the record before start the job... image-0-02-06-bb516e3cf1ed81bfa929658b6b5df24cd66eb457c46892236c3ef50456b20050-V.jpg

8. Mike Antonetti

There was no bubbles on the test because it was not entirely coated and slab moisture could still migrate.

Not sure, especially where you’re at but there may be different materials that slabs can be made of instead of Portland and sand that need protection from chemicals.

I don’t see a way around the situation, maybe some type of liner but I don’t know rolling loads,etc.

9. JuanConcrete

JuanConcrete Pro Member

Its evident you have a high moisture drive. The reason you didn't get bubbles when you did test sample is because the moisture pressure could go around and escape from area not coated. For these scenarios we would install a urethane mortar product. Its breathable, able to withstand hot water wash and rinse. They are impact resistant and have a hi wear life. We use Sherwin williams/general polymers fastop 12s(1/4") or 12sl(1/8")with the fastop 12 topcoat. The whole system can be turned over quickly. The sytem can even go on 7 day old concrete as long as psi is at adequate level. Hope this helps best of luck

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Mike Antonetti

Not sure you can spec that material if you are not aware of chemicals used.

11. epoxyman

epoxyman Pro Member

The urethane concrete is a very tuff floor
    It takes tons of abuse and holds up to chemicals just have to find out what’s being used
    Here’s a few did for Florida power and light as a chemical holding building it went up the walls about 10” and the total thickness was over 3/8
    But you have to have a good slab to stick to. The moisture can be up to 10lbs
    Per 1,000 sf
    But these are not cheap floors in materials or labor cost.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  12. JuanConcrete

JuanConcrete Pro Member

Yes your are correct need to know the chemicals being used, before you use the urethane mortar. You could also change the topcoat to something more appropriate, but then have to see about breathability of it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1