Mannington LVT Adura

Discussion in 'Vinyl Flooring Q&A' started by Diann, Dec 22, 2013.

1. Diann

Diann Member

Good morning. Yesterday the installers finished installing my beautiful African Sunset plank floor. Since they left, I've been crazy about sweeping and walking on it. Can you tell me how durable this stuff is? Do I need to be super cautious?

2. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

Was it glued down or floating? It's pretty durable as far as walking on. Sliding furniture is not good. Is it plank look or tile look? LVP/LVT is acronym for Luxury Vinyl Plank/Tile.
    Follow with recommended cleaning procedures supplied by manufacturers. Did you grout it?

3. Diann

Diann Member

It was glued. So far I'm a little discouraged. There are a few pieces where the plank didn't glue down tight. I can push it down and it springs back up. And, the installers left glue all over it. They were working on yesterday, last Saturday before Christmas and before a big snow storm was expected and I think they were in a hurry to get out of . They'd anticipated the job would be one day and it was two. They ran into slight elevation differences between rooms, even with the new subfloor they put in. I want to love my floors but don't 24 his after installed.

It is plank and it is not groutted.

4. Mike Antonetti

Do you have replacement pieces for future repair? Yes they should all be flat, did they roll with heavy roller?

5. Mike Antonetti

Did they tell you how to remove glue spots? Mineral spirits on cloth very slightly dampened to avoid going into joints and breaking down adhesive.

6. Diann

Diann Member

Yes, we have two boxes of extra planks to use over the years if we needed to. The only adhesive we have though is what is left over for the Adura tile we got for the two upstairs bathrooms. I don't know if that's the same stuff as what they used for the planks on the main floor.

The company will be back, they have to install carpet up the stairs and in the three bedrooms and hall. I have faith that they'll make the floor right, I'm just discouraged. i can be picky and have looked forward to the "magazine picture" of my beautiful "hardwood" floors gleaming as I look across the expanse of my house and instead they're glue smeared, dusty, and a few pieces "catching the light" because they're not stuck down like they should be.

They did roll the first day. That area looks great and I don't see any problems. The areas they did yesterday are a different story. They obviously didn't want to work yesterday and very quickly laid the stuff down, rolled quickly and pushed a damp cloth across the floor to "clean it."

What is your experience with this type of floor. Are you an owner or installer?

I'm so paranoid of walking across the floor with dust on it. :) Of course it snowed last night and I have two small dogs. They come in and shake snow out of their hair, make little footprints all over and I'm just having a bad morning. Thank you for listening to me.

Oh, I see that you're a installer and that you live in Florida. Well, maybe you have experience with sand and these floors. We have lots of sand in the area since it snowed so bad last night. :)

7. Mike Antonetti

Glue will come off, it's hard to see and easily missed. Keep a dust mop handy and push it around every now and again. Sand is not good for any floor as it is an abrasive.
    Some areas glue under floor may not have set up entirely and may have not reached the sticky point to overcome the plank wanting to not conform with the minor regularities to the floor, a little hand roller should force them down as it is more focused pressure than the large surface roller. You may want to put a little piece of blue tape in the spots where you want attention addressed before they arrive, it will be easier than trying to look for it when they are there saying it's somewhere over here and there.

8. Diann

Diann Member

Thank you for responding this morning, Mike. i have cleaned a few more "boards" and believe there is beauty under the glue and my perfection-ism.

9. Hi Diann,

Mannington Adura is a very durable floor in a residential setting. It has a UV cured Urethane wearlayer with an aluminum oxide additive (Scratch Resist).

Like any resilient floor it's not bulletproof, but I can tell you I've sold literally millions of square feet of the product and it has the lowest claims rate of anything we sell residentially.

If you look carefully at the edges of the boards you'll notice that they have a micro-bevel edge. This is there for some important reasons. First, it gives a place for the normal dirt and dust to accumulate so that foot traffic isn't grinding it into the surface of the floor. It's a micro-bevel so that the accumulation of dirt and dust clean out easily with normal cleaning. Second, it helps to hide some subfloor imperfection and avoid lippage that can occur in a completely smooth product.

We'll give the installation company the benefit of the doubt and let them fix the few problem planks you've got. It'll help the installers if you mark them as Mike suggests.

Last, remember that your floor is the only surface in your home that you actually live on. You don't walk on your walls or your ceiling. So just remember, an occasional nick or ding might happen. No worries, you are smarter than the average bear and you've made sure you've got a couple of extra cartons of material for this very reason.

Relax, enjoy your new floor and have a Merry Christmas!

10. Floored by Newman

Floored by Newman Floored by Newman

One of my favorite floors. I have installed thousands sq. ft. myself resulting in very happy customers and family time and time again. Regular cleaning (without chemicals) and that floor would more than likely outlive me :yesss: Pressure sensitive adhesive will clean up very easily. Wonder if installers wet set?

11. Diann

Diann Member

Thank you all for your comments. The owner of the store is coming by tomorrow to see our concerns. I've begun to tape the areas as you suggested and am stopping to get your opinion/experience. It seems I'm taping about 50% of the planks that I've gone over so far. Am I being too picky. Should the planks "push down" when I push on them? They put down new subfloor (sorry if I'm using wrong term) so I don't think they should move when I push on them.

How long is that adhesive sticky? I certainly don't want them to rip all those planks up and put them down again. Will rolling them with something heavy stick them down? It was a week ago yesterday that they finished installing.

I'm not sure what "wet set" is but they seemed to spread the glue down and then wait a while for it to get sticky. Then they put the planks down.

12. mcbrides

mcbrides Canadian Installers Senior Member

Diann, the planks should not move when you press on them. There could be several reasons for this: the installers butted them too tightly, they used the wrong adhesive (should have used MT711) or the adhesive had been frozen (where are you?). They may also have spread too little adhesive by using a spreader with notches too small.

It's good to hear that the retailer is coming out to inspect the job tomorrow.

I love this product and have never had a failure. I'm interested to hear the feedback you get.

Deb

13. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

Wet set is a system of installing into adhesive that is still very WET as opposed to allowing the glue to "dry to the touch" prior to installation. Some wet set systems allow for a minor (5-15 min) flash off for the gasses to evaporate but essentially we spread the glue and lay into it ASAP.

There are different types of glue but BOTH of these two systems require the use of a 100 lb. roller fairly promptly after the install-----within the specified "working time" listed on the pail and in the specification (PDF file from EVERY manufacturer)

Your questions and concerns are very appropriate. I noticed that you observed them rolling on Day #1. There's no problems there? That's how I've read this so far. THEN they came in on a Saturday balls out and you NOTICED that they didn't use the roller that day. Now you see and feel a failure to bond?

Am I on the right track here?

It's tough when you're not an expert to follow what's going on but I think you may have NAILED a weakness in the installation procedures and now you're unhappy.

With the "tacky" glue installation system usually some heat---SOFT heat like a heat gun (it's JUST a high end hair dryer) and heavy pressure like a hand roller can get all the material laying flat. I'll use a propane torch REALLY gently for the same purpose. If the glue has not been wet or dirtied it SHOULD achieve a decent bond and last through your lifetime-----IF it's a premium adhesive and it's been applied properly.

Give everyone involved some benefit of the doubt and a fair chance to make it right. At the same time KEEP ACCURATE NOTES of the details like ROLLING WITH THE 100 lbs. ROLLER that you mentioned above.

Usually your issues can be worked out fairly easily so don't get overworked up with the shop/store or workmen. If they're competent and honest they'll EASILY resolve this. If not, keep in touch. Keep good records and take some good photos.

14. Diann

Diann Member

This is the glue that they used. Is it the right stuff? Good stuff?

Incognito: They rolled on Saturday, just did a quick passover though. There are a few other places from the day before that are a little "soft" but not as bad as the area they did on Saturday.

I hope to not be too hard on them. They still need to lay the whole upstairs with carpet and two bathrooms with tile. I don't want to be too picky now because I want them to do a good job upstairs too.

Deb, I appreciate you telling me that it shouldn't move. I have a bit of a complex in that a few years ago we had a dinning room table delivered (second set) and when the delivery people handed me the ticket to sign, there was a written note on it that said, customer demands perfection. It irritated me that I should be expected to accept something that didn't have scratches or stain drips on the legs.

Attached Files:

15. Mike Antonetti

Is it the right stuff? How bout No!
    Doesn't mean it won't work but, JC can't we use appropriate glue?

16. Mike Antonetti

Call Mapei tomorrow and talk to their technical department, see what they say about your luxury vinyl plank, lettuce know what they say, tomorrow's busy for me but I'll check back.

17. Diann

Diann Member

Call who?

18. Mike Antonetti

I looked up the spec sheet from the picture Florcraft VCT adhesive, Mapei is the manufacturer.
    Their automated at first till you get to the right department and ask them" can I use Florcraft vinyl composition tile adhesive for my Mannington Adura plank/tile? And then get any additional info and let me know what you find.

19. Mike Antonetti

1 800 992 6273 m-f 9-5

20. Diann

Diann Member

Thank you, Mike.