mannington adura lvp

Discussion in 'Vinyl Flooring Q&A' started by kellykt03, Mar 8, 2017.

1. kellykt03

kellykt03 New Member

I'm wondering if anyone has used mannington adura lvp on a heated concrete slab? Not the adura max, but specifically the adura type. I'm wondering if you've had any issue with the planks popping up? Or any kind of issues at all? Thanks!!

2. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

In general were the guidelines for installing over radiant heat followed? Were they even aware, was it on, does the temperature exceed maximum allowed? Hmm how do you moisture test a radiant heating? Can't drill 40% depth of slab when tubing is in slab. I'd guess details were not followed from the get go from the general contractor all the way down to the installer.

3. Commercial Floor Rep

Commercial Floor Rep I Support TFP Published

Mannington Adura can be installed over radiant heat systems as long as the surface temperature of the system doesn't exceed 85F. We have people do it quite often. The only complaint I've ever had, the homeowner was Amish and the heat system was unrequlated so it went way above 85F. Didn't really seem to bother the product, but it cooked the adhesive.

4. Mike Antonetti

Therefor should there not be a specific adhesive? I'm sure this owners system went beyond max temp.

As stated in other threads, systems have operated in the 120 degree range.

5. Mike Antonetti

Here's a piece of Mannington Adura I found on my rusted outdoor tilt trailer for a year, I use planks to set under ramps etc. I want to protect. Looks as flat as can be, no stain issues.

So you say they are popping up, pick one up, take a picture of the backing and a close up of the adhesive/trowel lines, maybe a tape measure next to it so we can possibly gauge the notch trowel and have something to compare against in size.

Adhesive Issue!

Attached Files:

6. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

Is that a transitional adhesive? Maybe it flashed before the product was set in it. Did the in floor heating system shortened the working time of the adhesive? Wondering if just doing spot plank repairs would fix it or if it's going to end up being a total loss.

7. Commercial Floor Rep

Commercial Floor Rep I Support TFP Published

To answer your question about adhesive Mike, let me jump a bit outside the box.

Mannington Adura is recommended to be installed using their MT-711 adhesive in a semi-wet set state (Peaks cloudy troughs clear). MT-711 is a pressure sensitive adhesive, not a transitional pressure sensitive so it stays pressure sensitive pretty much forever. It's also an acrylic, non-solvent based adhesive. Of the adhesives out their, it would have one of the lowest temperature tolerance ranges in my mind. Heating it would essentially re-emulsify the adhesive.

In my opinion, in order to get a higher tolerance from the adhesive you'd probably have to go to a two-part urethane or an epoxy. This would be pretty expensive, and those aren't the easiest adhesives to use. Plus I can't see a manufacturer going out on a limb to warranty it for the few degrees extra. Too much headache and little to no return on the investment. It's easier to say 85F and call it good.

8. Mike Antonetti

I'm thinking they didn't use MT-711, I like that strong adhesive. If their plank is "popping" up I don't think it's sticky, it probably dried, they laid the plank on top, not much coverage/transfer. And ouch for the cost per foot to have this issue.