LVT over Versashield

Discussion in 'Commercial Flooring Sales & Installation' started by Incognito, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

This was a local Adult Ed. Admin building for one of the school disctricts the shop I work for has an account with. About 5600 square feet of prep, membrane and flooring plus about 1500 linear feet Millwork Base. There's not a HUGE difference installed over the membrane as far as time wise. The differences is you need to EXTRA cautious with defective materials and cuts as once the planks hit the glue it's not a simple thing to re-adjust. There's some play and worse comes to worse use a heat gun and the material CAN be removed without damage to the membrane so long as you are gentle and aware of how easy it can rip. I didn't finish the job as I took some time off over these holidays to spend with family. Someone else finished the base/reducers/walkoff mats. IMG_2721.JPG IMG_2720.JPG IMG_2719.JPG IMG_2717.JPG IMG_2716.JPG

2. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

That’s a good straightedge to use to keep the starting row more precise. I believe I thought about bringing that one on the job because the box ones don’t sit flat.

3. Incognito

I just got that one for carpet. Normally I use my hard surface steel straight edge but it's MUCH more difficult to swing around. Also, I can lay the aluminun straight edge right onto the adhesive (dry) where you cant always snap lines. So lightweight it barely grabs and the extra thickness is needed so my fat, stumpy, calloused fingertips can manuever. The heavy one I need a knife or something sharp under it to lift it because my fingertips are worn to zero after a few days with the Versashield. It's like sandpaper on the top and if you can you ought to wear gloves--------but I don't and come to the bleeding point similar to what happens after 100 cartons+ of VCT or certain carpet tiles that grind the skin down to the bone (nerve endings)

4. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

Didn’t know versashield had a rough surface to stick to. Was that over clean slab with moisture issues or just to isolate from vct?

5. Incognito

oo
    It's an otherwise beautiful slab with 99% rH readings with the existing floor FAILING-----but over a 20 year period or so since the orignal install. So they got their money's worth. A demo crew comes in and tears out the VCT and glue down carpet and.............the adhesive seemed to have come up for the most part on the backing of the goods. We just sanded the slab, filled some cracks and holes and layed down the MBX.

Versasheild has one product for 95% readings and another heavier system for 99% readings. I'm pretty confident their systems will work so long as there's not too much cutting of corners as this industry is prone to.

• Informative Informative x 1