LVT over 15lb Felt?

Discussion in 'Floor Preparation' started by Steve Olson, Sep 11, 2019 at 6:07 AM.

1. Steve Olson

Steve Olson Hardwood/Laminate Guru Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Prepping a job for the install of Mohawk Defined Style LVP, 6mil thick or 3.4 mm. I wanted to use 15lb felt under it, is there any concern with installing LVP over the asphalt saturated felt?

2. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

Curious why you’d want that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

I’d say staining possibility. Some people fear offgassing of felt?

4. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

Wouldn't the vinyl react to the asphalt?

I'd get a tech rep to sign off on it.

What's the point of the asphalt felt?

We used to use the white felt over hardwood strip flooring a zillion years ago. Why not use the white paper?

5. Steve Olson

Gosh, I thought that was a simple question. The shop sold a job of Mohawks Defined Style LVP. The thin one, I think it said 3.4 mm. Customer has a horrible subfloor, which was covered with flooring, so it was an unknown. It a wax impregnated 3/4 t&g particle board product that was around for a short time. It was the Typar carpet back of subfloors, if any of you remember that horrible product. The particular subfloor got soaked during construction, to the poing where the contractor drilled holes in all his low spots to allow it to drain. After removing the 300 sq feet of vinyl and U/L, and carpet, pad and strip, I could see the type of subfloor, and that it was gapped nearly 1/4" at may of the endjoints, and several of those joints did not have both edges supported by the joists, sloppy carpentry, the wax didn't stop the Particle board was swelling and then shrinking. Many of those nails on the endjoints have pulled out of the edges, either from shrinking or they knew they had to do that to catch the joist, and didn't know to toe nail them. Most of the nails won't really set down flush, so I thought, using felt would help. BUT, I didn't want to use it if it was going to create a problem. I was hoping someone here would know for sure, if it would be a problem. But maybe someone does know, but doesn't want to stick their neck out. I get that. I'm just trying to help both parties out with a solution

6. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

So where did the water go after they drilled holes?

I had a laminate job years ago that we installed with no transitions between rooms. It started to buckle within a couple months so we went back and put T-molds in the doorways. Couple months later it expanded so much it pushed the slider out a good 1/2” as well as buckled. Come to find out that there was so much standing water on the subfloor during construction that the customer drilled holes to allow it to drain. Then they went under the house and cut slits in the vapor barrier to allow the water to drain from that then they covered it all up with a new layer of vapor barrier. All that moisture was stuck under the vapor barrier and working it’s way up at the foundation walls into the house causing dudes laminate to blow up.

7. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

It was a simple question. If, you recall CFR’s or have seen, learned from his post. The asphalt could stain the lvt. Just like asphalt based adhesives. Will it? Unknown can it yes.

Sounds like you’re working with true professionals, drill holes and let gravity work for us. We don’t need wet vacs and dehumidifiers.

8. Steve Olson

I talked to the owner of the store I work for, went over the details with him, then, we drove up and talked to the customer, long story short, I'm off the job, hourly guys are handling it. Moved up my next hospital project and starting that tomorrow. I'll take flat lay commercial vinyl and carpet tiles anyday, over most LVP floating jobs. Too many ways some of these new thin, locking edge products and turn and bite you.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

People are sold on the dream buddy, problem is our reality is a nightmare.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Graeme

Graeme Pro Member

Good riddance! I was concerned the asphalt paper would not be compatible with your vinyl... but it sounds like that is the least of the issues with that job.

Sometimes the best job you do is the job you DON'T do. Walk away and sleep well!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Steve Olson

True. The shop will sell them a floor, period. The owner installed for many years, and he will back what he sells. We've been friends, and fishing buddies for years, knows I don't throw my hands up at the slightest issue. He has my back, and I appreciate it. He did what was needed to mitigate his risk and still get the job done. Just not by me.

12. phil verre

phil verre I Support TFP

Shaw and others make a roll underlayment for floating LVT over things like osb and the like. Shaw's is called Solitaire. It was promoted to me as a product that can be used for projects like rental property so floors can be easily replaced with out having to change out plywood underlayment constantly. I think Mannington had one at one time called MUL.

• Like Like x 1