LVT makes crunching sound when walked on

Discussion in 'Vinyl Flooring Q&A' started by rkw0624, Jun 13, 2018.

1. rkw0624

rkw0624 Member

We had our kitchen remodeled about a year and a half ago. Along with that we had a new Armstrong LVT floor installed. This consisted of new underlayment and then LVT 12x12 squares being laid down. The installer did a beautiful job.

About two weeks after the install there was a noticeable crunching sound when we walk on it. Even our 60 pound granddaughter can produce the sound when she walks on it. The flooring supplier and contractor is trying to hang their hat on saying the floor has a slight crown and the tile is moving and it's my problem. Vinyl tile would be pliable enough to handle a very slight crown in a floor. My opinion is that it is a void between the tile and sub floor and as the glue "let's go" it creates a void and when we walk on it we get the "crunch". I think it simply is not holding the tile down. We generally have to wait ten minutes or so to produce the sound again. If you walk on the same area again a minute or two after the first try no sound at all. The old vinyl floor that was replaced never did this.

I documented the install with photos and video from start to finish. Proper sub floor, glue, rolled,etc.etc. Thoughts? advice? Short video.....
    Thank you for your time and taking a look!

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  2. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

What was the new underlayment and flooring installed over?

3. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

How about some of the photos and documentation (just tell us what he did) of the process? Usually these are prep related failures.

4. rkw0624

rkw0624 Member

What is there now is the original underlayment and vinyl, new underlayment put down on that, then new LVT. I do have a photo gallery of everything. Is it possible to PM you a link?

5. Incognito

Much better to upload it here so you can get multiple opinions. Just takes a couple minutes to figure out the photo upload system.

6. rkw0624

rkw0624 Member

Here is a link of the whole process: Kitchen and Bath Remodel 2016

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2018
  7. Incognito

Is this a grouted LVT?

Everything I see looks fine excepting that he's got a seam of the LVT too near the underlayment seam. So my thoughts are to the fastener system for the underlayment (staples/nails/screws/glue)

.............or maybe the grout install???

I've never worked with a grouted vinyl product

8. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

Looking at the pictures of your kitchen and bathroom before the underlayment was installed i would 100% be willing to bet it is fastener failure. See, here is the thing, underlayments are not structural nor are they magic. Laying thin sheets of plywood over any hollows, voids or otherwise questionable elements will result in movement. Narrow crown staples are not designed to withstand movement vertically and that is what causes the popping. Prep work is typically called for before these sheets are installed however it is often overlooked and causes many problems. Problems like yours...

• Like Like x 1
  9. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Administwative Asst. Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

What I see in this picture is two layers of UL and vinyl. Was anything removd or did you go over the top with new underlayment?
    [​IMG]

10. Roland Thompson

Roland Thompson Charter Member Senior Member

Easy fix. Just take out the one that is making the sound, find the issue fix and reinstall a new one.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. rkw0624

rkw0624 Member

A few photos.
    The vinyl and underlayment was removed that the stove and buckets are sitting on. New underlayment and the LVT was placed on top of the "yellow" flooring that you see in this photo.

12. rkw0624

rkw0624 Member

Yep easy fix. Who foots the bill? The installer, flooring company, contractor, owner?

13. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

Define “One”, you mean “One” whole floor? I heard the whole floor making noise.

Let’s eliminate a few things. It isn’t Armstrong vinyl, not the adhesive, not the underlayments fault. It is possibly the fasteners over a flexible sheet vinyl. Installation issue related.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Mikey Lee

Mikey Lee Pro Member

My father did a daycare some years back and the contractor installed the underlayment luan.. had a Similar issue with the crunching noise.... They use too short of staples when nailing it down so random areas had to be removed then new tile reinstalled... Was a big mess... I did a whole upstairs with LVP and I glued all the XL underlayment then nailed with proper staples... That underlayment won't be going anywhere... It's been one year and they absolutely love it. Manufacturers warranties are void if luan is used... There have been reported issues from luan separating. XL is a small amount more so I don't know who would even bother with luan...

15. Jon Scanlan

Jon Scanlan That Kiwi Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Did you notice any noise when walking on the new underlayment before the new flooring was installed?

16. rkw0624

rkw0624 Member

No noise whatsoever. We pulled up one tile and then I cut a piece from that to lay on the open space. I press on that lightly with my palm and it makes that sound. It's the glue.

17. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

Who cares who foots the bill as long as it’s not you. The flooring company and the installer can fight it out amongst themselves. You paid for a service. If the subfloor has a crown in it and that’s why your floor is making noise, the installation should have been stopped and a solution should have been come up with before the installation was completed. Hopefully you paid with a credit card.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Jon Scanlan

Jon Scanlan That Kiwi Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I would have thought that if there was a problem with the way the underlayment was laid there would have been a noise so therefore it must be something to do with the next stage of the laying of your floor?

19. mgd

mgd Pro Member

What glue was used ? S-288 is the recommended one for Alterna
    Just listened to video at high volume ,I believe its underlayment friction rubbing with vinyl that was covered .
    How many staples were used ,should be 4" on center and 2" along seams at least imho. We had same issue this week with a floor that we were covering with XL flooring , shot a bazillion staple in it and it quieted up.
    This is just my opinion I may be wrong but i want to know the answer too.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

Sounds like crackly ice to me, I can’t understand how adhesive (proper) pressure sensitive unless it’s epoxy or Urethane.(Brittle)