LVP - What is Best Option for Stair Noses

Discussion in 'Vinyl Flooring Q&A' started by B. Jones, Dec 1, 2019.

1. B. Jones

B. Jones New Member

We are getting Coretec Plus E LVP in "Manila Oak" (a very light color that is a close match for our natural maple hardwood on the 1st floor) installed throughout our 2nd floor and on our stairs from 1st to 2nd later this month. The sales guy has given us a couple of options for the stair noses. Coretec makes stair noses that are an exact match, which are of course vinyl. Versatrim makes aluminum stair noses in a light maple color (I forget the name) that kind of almost match. I can be a little weird about things not matching correctly, but on the other hand, the sales guy makes it sound like the vinyl ones aren't a good choice for durability. I could get over the not matching thing if it will save us from having expensive problems with the stairs.

So...are the Versatrim aluminum ones really that much better of a choice, or are the Coretec ones durable as well? FYI, we are two 50+ yo adults, no kids, plenty of pets, and we have been known to sort of bump heavy things that we can't lift properly up or down the stairs occasionally, but not too often.

Thanks much for any input you can provide!

2. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

I put in 2500 ft of manila oak two weeks ago and have another 2k sq ft to do this week. It’s a nice looking floor. We prefer the versatrim aluminum noses, as your salesperson suggested.

• Like Like x 1
  3. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I too like the aluminum trims.

xlfloor on stairs.jpg

4. B. Jones

B. Jones New Member

Thanks so much to both of your for your replies! Our flooring was ordered and the store now has it ready to go, and our salesperson has ordered one Versatrim for us to look at (before ordering the full quantity needed), and I am determined to get over any issues I might have with the color not being 100% exact, in the interest of durability. Thanks again! :)

5. Jeff Short

Jeff Short Veteran Flooring Retailer

This is a PDF that Versatrim e-mailed to retailers recently:

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  6. B. Jones

B. Jones New Member

Thank you for that information! Our "test" piece of Versatrim actually happened to come in today, and I went to look at it, and it looks great, so we are full steam ahead with using them. I have included the pic I took. Versatrim is on the right side. It is slightly different, but definitely not enough to kick in my OCD. Thanks all!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti Senior Member

It is true for years we always said color coordinated for transitions. Once you say “match” you’re locked in to looking exactly like the flooring.

• Agree Agree x 1