LVP Kitchen Install Question

Discussion in 'Vinyl Flooring Q&A' started by Ryan Blackmon, Jun 13, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Ryan Blackmon

Ryan Blackmon New Member

Hi, I'm doing a 400 sq ft LVP install this weekend (Cali Bamboo Cali Vinyl Pro), my first flooring project and had a couple questions thought I'd give it a shot here. First, the existing flooring is laminate and I had originally planned on installing directly on the laminate but I've seen other places online recommending do NOT do this and to remove the laminate and install on the subfloor directly what do you recommend?

My big question is the shape of the room is very odd, looks like a puzzle piece but for discussion sake you could say it's like a fat capital I laid on its side. I want to run the planks long ways along the length of the I which will also match the direction the hardwood floors are running in the rest of the downstairs but the issue is running this way would have you start in the Top Left and work your way down but this will leave you with the Top Right portion of the space that will require either a transition or the planks to be installed backwards so to speak.

I want to install this floor without any transitions so to me I can either fight the planks and install them backwards OR if I run the planks the other direction (front to back vs left to right) I won't have this problem however that will mean the LVP in the kitchen is running 90 deg from how the hardwoods are running in the rest of the house which how will that look?

What would you guys recommend? Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. SteveG

SteveG Pro Member

Since your existing laminate is a floating floor, it is moving. You can't install products on top of something that is moving and expect them to stay stable. You'll need to remove the existing laminate. The good news is it's pretty easy to do.

3. Ryan Blackmon

Ryan Blackmon New Member

Thanks, I may have misspoke the existing floor is a sheet type flooring I'm guessing vinyl sheet flooring would you still recommend removing it? And in kitchen space should I be putting down a moisture barrier under the LVP as well?

4. Tom Potter

Tom Potter I Support TFP

If the existing floor is glued down, in decent shape, not curling, & FLAT, it is acceptable to go over.

Plank direction han no right/wrong answer. Personally if it was my house i would run it the way you have the arrows.

Working backwards can be a pain but its not the end of the world. Just be easy and work it. Some flooring manufacturers make a slip tongue for there products that allow you to change direction. But its such a small space i wouldn't bother & just take my time working it in reverse.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Ryan Blackmon

Ryan Blackmon New Member

Thanks for the feedback, ended up installing on top of the existing floor with a vapor barrier and turned out great. You're right, installing backwards is not ideal but really wasn't bad, just takes a little more manipulation to snap in place.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Tom Potter

Tom Potter I Support TFP

Glad it worked out for you. Pictures of the finished job?

C'mon man, pony up. You can't just get some knowledge & not show how it turned out ;).

• Funny Funny x 1