Luxury Vinyl transition to Berber Carpet

Discussion in 'Vinyl Flooring Q&A' started by lb8991, Apr 16, 2013.

1. lb8991

lb8991 Member

I just had Luxury Vinyl Planks installed next to 3 Berber-carpeted bedrooms. A z-bar was used for the carpet to make the transition. However, the seams of the berber carpet are now showing where it folds under.

The installer suggests using a metal bar for the transition, but this would really cheapen the look of our floors. Are there any quality-looking options besides a metal strip for the transition piece?

Attached Files:

2. Steve Forbo

Steve Forbo Pro Member

Go to Home Depot or Lowes. They make small, solid oak wood transition strips. They screw or nail in. They come natural and unfinished. You can simply bring a piece of your vinyl and get a small can of Minwax stain and poly finish for them.
    I hate metal, and I have not seen it used since the 90's....LOL

3. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

4. R.K

R.K Pro Member

Is that seaming tape showing at the fold? Terrible spot for it...

Was that carpet recently installed?

5. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I'm thinking it was a case of bad luck where the Lvt stopped it happened to stop at the seam line from where the doorways were joined. If the LVT would have went an inch farther it wouldn't have shown. I don't know how far the LVT goes under the carpet, maybe it could be released and moved back an inch.

:old:

Daris

6. Hanover Fist

Hanover Fist Pro Member

Congoleum makes some great 'snap-in-track' transition products for their Duraceramic line that match up to lots of varying LVT styles and colors.
    We use them regularly.
    Pretty tough stuff too, seriously near bulletproof. I'm kind of shocked by their hardiness, and I don't throw around compliments unless I mean them.

Real wood transitions, as mentioned above, are a great alternative as well, bit tough to work with, and get great results, for the DIYer - unless you're packin' a bitching' set of tools.

Yup, I just Spicoli'd
    :p

7. Jim McClain

Hanover, I'm having trouble finding those online. Post a link to them, if you have one, please.

Thanks,

Jim

8. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

I can't remember the name of the stuff, but you drill 1/4" into floor and there are plastic plugs that slide on a track underneath and wedge into the slab/sub. Their about 25$ each, and are located in the same aisle as the clampdown metal, 3 diff colors. For 3 doors , you'll need two.
    Isolate and know exactly how the trim will lay down, do not let that bit catch the yarn, block it with a trowel or whatever, you will not stop that drill fast enough as it unravels the carpet. Nooooo!

9. Steve Forbo

Steve Forbo Pro Member

My suggestion was for a DIY'r, not a flooring pro. Anyone can stain and finish a piece of wood without having to special order a piece from a manufacturer.;)

10. Jim McClain

I didn't mean to imply your suggestion wasn't a good one, Steve. It is, but there are also other options. Who's to know what level of skill a DIYer has or how deep their pockets? :)

Jim

11. Mike Antonetti

I think this is the easiest, to pull off the big box shelf, will look normal and most importantly, functional.
    It is what we have to do to dress up the install, just some of the details that the salespeople don't care about, just the main product.
    They have it in the dark color as well.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2013
  12. lb8991

lb8991 Member

Thanks for all the replies. I would think my installer would have given me more options than just a metal strip. They said that I would probably just get used to seeing it and not even notice it after a while.

13. Mike Antonetti

The clampdown metal (gold,silver) is pretty much the standard. For sheet vinyl this was accepted, now vinyl plank it doesn't look as good.
    The woodgrain aluminum with hidden fasteners looks closest to normal.
    The transition industry was lagging behind, I started using these transitions out of my pocket, now they figure it in.
    Vinyl tile still needs a transition, when its wood look, wood grain transition fits.
    We passed on this house carpet install while we were doing duraceramic, the salesman stopped by and was setting up for the carpet install the next day, their choice of transition (gold or silver), they chose gold.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2013
  14. lb8991

lb8991 Member

Would the woodgrain aluminum with hidden fasteners work if there is about a 1/2 inch height difference between the LVP's and carpet?

15. Mike Antonetti

Yes it is designed to ramp with the flexible fasteners , for a doorway I would drill 4 holes, 1 on each end and the other two spaced equally apart.
    I would put some masking tape down, and with a pen draw a straight line where the holes will be drilled and vacuum them out, it will assist in pushing them down .

16. Mike Antonetti

I think you should have gone with the clampdown metal, you said it cheapens the look but it does serve two purposes.
    1. It locks the yarn of the Berber in so it doesn't run
    2. It provides an edge in order to clean the LVT properly without getting the edge of the carpet dirty.
    It is small, maybe 1/2"
    I hear your concerns though.

When I thought about it we used the transitions when it was woodgrain LVT going to ceramic tile. Stopped by lowes and took a pic of the transition. Lowes and Home Depot carry different transitions, sometimes I have to check both and in my town they're 15 miles away, not 15 ft.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2013
  17. lb8991

lb8991 Member

Mike, I actually found the "md" transition at Lowes the other day. My sales lady hadn't seen one before, but was intrigued by it. Looks like they are going to stain match some wooden transition strips and try that. I'll try to post a pic when its completed.

18. Chris Mha

Chris Mha Charter Member Senior Member

Did the installer sell you the floor? As an installer that works for a store, it is not my responsibility to provide doorway transitions. That's the salesperson job.

19. Mike Antonetti

That's detail work in which salespeople(most) care nothing about, some days we don't even get paperwork.
    The clampdown would have been best all around, but it doesn't look fashionable, I've seen bronze color which looks ok.
    In my area there's slider doors, etc. with aluminum so we mostly go with silver. Occasionally, they have brass and gold fixtures, dated in my opinion , then we go with hold metal.
    Chris your right of course, sales responsible in a way.
    Sometimes we place LVT right under clampdown where existing floor is, when viable.