Luxury vinyl tile

Discussion in 'Vinyl Flooring Q&A' started by Steve Olson, Jul 15, 2006.

1. Steve Olson

Steve Olson Hardwood/Laminate Guru Charter Member Senior Member

I was looking into this product recently...Karndean is the name I hear most. Seems like a great option, using its design options to offer as an upsell. Anyone install much of it? Or other similar ones? I installed a few Metrofloor jobs, any others?

2. Danny Ferguson

Danny Ferguson Abbey Carpet & Floor Charter Member

We have been selling and installing alot of the Mannington Adura LVT. They have alot of different looks in their line.

3. Steve Olson

Have you done any jobs using different colors, or borders?

4. floorman67

floorman67 One of THOSE Charter Member

There is a wide variery of luxury vinyl tiles put out by almost every resilient manufacturer available in standard tile and plank form.

There are commercial and residential varieties, but most are similar in warrenty, wear, performance , and installation (within their specification), but there are a few exceptions, so you will want to check the installation specifications for each, and maintenance can vary.

Here are a few you can take a gander at.

note: I could not place specific links here to some because of crappy search scripts in some sites, and otehrs have many sub categories, so just do a search for luxury vinyl tile/plank, and it will show you all they have.

Armstrong
    Amtico
    Nafco/Azrock
    Domco-Tarkett
    Nafco, Azrock, and Tarkett Commercial EarthWerks
    GerFlor
    Mannington
    Novalis
    Premierpolyfilm PVC
    StainMaster Resilient Products
    Winton Standard
    Winton Veranda
    BurkeMercer
    Congoleum
    Dodge-Regopul Gerber Limited

i didnt list Karndean or Metrofoor because you already have them, and i am sure there are others, but i jsut did a quick search.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2006
  5. floorman67

boarders are a breeze with resilient lvt's.

the only problem with the patterned ones is that you are limited in full tile/plank dimensions because of the embossing/grout lines and sloping edges of many varieties, unlike vct and svt where you can make the cut anywhere you wish.

6. Steve Olson

It would be cool to see one as it is done, to see how it goes together. Outside in, from the inside out. Working in wet set seems messy, do they precut dry, they glue? If they had an install clinic, that would do it.

7. hookknife

hookknife Hard Surface Installer Charter Member Senior Member

I install alot of karndean here, with the borders and feature strips etc etc, over all I like the product I dont like the little strips between the tile though it slows things down---which in turn costs the customer more:D

8. floorman67

you dont like those little strip that nets you more money ?

THAT'S PURE GOLD !

9. hookknife

LOL, yea youd think so, but I could install more tile with a greater profit than messin with the strips:D they do look nice though.

10. Steve Olson

Either of you care to explain how you work an install like that? Layout? Working a field with a border or one of those little strips? Recess scribe? Heat and cut? Questions, questions...any answers?:)

11. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

How can you make better money doing routine work compared to custom work? I wouldn't dare charge the same per square foot for any job that was beyond the norm. Feature strips, borders, insets, that all requires more skill and more time and I haven't found any customer that didn't understand the increase in cost associated with that. I can make a lot more on a 300sf custom LVT job than any 900sf standard job in less time. And the customer who is interested in a custom LVT job is going to be easier to sell add-ons to, like custom base and trims. There's gold in them thar luxury vinyl tiles.

Jim

12. Steve Olson

Thats my thought...I want to tap this market in this area, I can't find anyone around that has done anythng trick within a 50 mile radius. I hear it calling me...

13. Jon Scanlan

Jon Scanlan That Kiwi Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Just done 30 sqm planks most of it on the diagonal Meant to be going to 50 sqm about 2.5 hours from where I live tommorow and by the look on the plan it is 45 degrees going up passages and we scribe neatly into skirting boards, no quarter round cover just dead neat. Going to take days. I make a paper pattern and cut a whole lot at the same time which is quicker than marking single planks. Should take some photos

14. floorman67

custom work is always at a premium .. that indeed is custom work.

well each job is unique and depends alot of the type of LVT whether than be plank or sqare tiles, and the type of pattern it has .. depends on the layout as well.

Luxury vinyl tile most times is patterned and has embossed edges and/or grout joints (like resilient sheet does) and some have bullnosed edging so you cant really do it right by cutting into it to make a pattern (like you cant cut accross the center of a sheet vinyl pattern to make an appropriate seam).

You would layout a floor with your perpendiculars as you would any vct installation, then lay out your center area to the full patterned tiles.

Then install off of that.

For patterned tile squares there is relatively no cutting other than perimeter cuts as well as verticle obsctructions becasue you want to use similar dimensional materials made by the same manufacturer and figure that into your pattern so it always ends up with full tile/widths.

Always start at run centers installing both ways as well to halve any possible over-run or under-run and use the same looselay/compaction installation method as you would with vct to remain on your marks and running true to full tile so you will meet up right when you get to the next point in your installation.

Now if you have exact same dimensional tiles and your border consists of jsut a different collor you could lay out your perpendicular, layout the boarderlines, and install it all together at once as you go, simply filling in the boarder and field where appropriate.

Trouble comes into play when yyou have separerate dimensional tile that wont work together at all mathmatically and sometimes you may need a cut row (like with plank boarders and square fields) sometimes by different manufacturers or jsut cant get it to work.

Staying with the same manufactuerer is a big key in my opinion because they will almost always work out together mathmatically, and you can adjust a little here and there as needed to keep it true.

As to cutting the tiles, a vct cutter will work fine flush cuts, score and snap will work for covered edge cuts (but only covered edge cuts because it will cause thecut edge to curl the wear layer up a bit), if you dont ahve a big pro 18" vct cutter you can substitute gentle heating and cut with a straight edge and utility knife for wider 18"+ dimension tiles and diagonals that wont fit into a standard cutter, and minor heat for complex cuts and radiuses. Be very careful with the hot cuts because applying too much heat will drastically discolor most vlt's.

The adhesives is most times a hard set adhesive and you cant let it tack over too much or it wont grab (unlike standard dry-set vct adhesive), so u spread as much as u can get covered before it dries out and tacks over. You need to scrape up dried adhesive too before starting another spread of it will telegraph through over time if you jsut spread and install over it.

as to working with the feature strips thats a piece of cake too ... just honor their dimensions in your layout adding as needed and install them as you lay the field.

All in all it is very similar to vct and alot of fun for the added diversity.

oh yea, floor prep is exactly the same as for VCT ...a spec of sand will telegraph through over time :), so immaculate prep just like vct.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2006
  15. hookknife

Belive me Jim I charge for it, I guess what i was trying to say is them little strips they give you, get old fast:) but there is nothing difficult about karndean it is all pre-done for you:D

SK---You can do it no problem, easy as pie for a floor guy:) The biggest thing to remember with karndean is to use the k-91 adhesive so you can go into it in the pressure sensitive state so you dont get any movement as you install, all the strips that go between the tile are about 24".

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 16, 2006
  16. Jon Scanlan

Got back tonite. There was 59 lin metres of cutting around the skirting boards for 50 sqm of tiles on the 45 degrees all scribed neatly. I took a couple of pictures, 1: the paper lined up against the last planks and the next one spread out over the planks ready to follow the scribe back If I cut each plank individually I would be there for weeks. It is a pitty you can not use base boards/quarter rounds here. HOW do you get the pictures out of my documents?

17. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

You can upload pictures to this website for display in your messages 2 different ways. If you want to attach images in a message quick and easy then click on the big orange button that says Post Reply ([​IMG]) -- you will find the button says New Message when you start a new thread. Below the message composition box you will see a button that says Manage attachments. Click that and then see the Browse buttons so you can find the image files on your computer (they have to be JPG. GIF, PNG or BMP images). After you pick the images, click Upload. When it's done then just close the box and go back to finish your message. The upload will fail if your images are too big. Max width or height, 750px, max file size, 146kb.

You can also upload images to your own folder in our Gallery here. Click the Gallery link above to see more about it. It's self-explanatory, but if you need help, let me know.

18. Jon Scanlan

The Pictures

Attached Files:

19. Steve Olson

Thanks Jon!
    The customer didn't want 1/4 round, or the existing base r&r'd? I see that it's painted , lucky they found a guy with an advanced skill set, that can deliver what they want. Nicely done!

Hookknife, I really like the entry and how the feature strips frame it against the field coming in at that angle. Beauty!

Thanks to all for the pics and tips!
    SK

20. Jon Scanlan

In New Zealand we always and have always scribed into the skirting boards. years ago schools had a quarter round fitted after the flooring is fitted but that has long gone. The trouble layers have coming here from overseas is trying to get a neat fit