Luxury vinyl plank seam pop

Discussion in 'Vinyl Flooring Q&A' started by Natej, Oct 27, 2017.

1. Natej

Natej New Member

I installed an LVP flooring myself a few months ago, in late spring. I recently noticed one single lengthwise seam (joint) between two rows of planks that has popped for a distance of maybe two feet. I seem to remember that this particular area gave me a little difficulty when I installed the floor so it is possible that this joint was slightly irregular originally--although it had to have looked fine to the naked eye, as the floor was pretty perfect at the end of install. The flooring is in a basement over a concrete slab so I would not be surprised if this is from some expansion. I left room for expansion around the perimeter but I have learned that vinyl expands more than the other flooring types that I have previously installed. My question is if anyone knows of a tip for fixing this joint without pulling up the floor starting at the wall and working back. This would involve a ton of planks and I have noticed that their locking mechanisms just aren't that robust--I'm worried I would damage many of them in the process. Any thoughts? By the way, the floor is great otherwise, the perfect surface for a walkout basement that gets quite a few muddy boots across it. thanks

2. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

LVP is not "1-size-fits-all." We like to know what we are working with. What's the brand/style name so we can look up the instructions /slash/ experience we have for it.

3. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

is there excessive down movement in your floor in this area when you walk on it?? This may be the cause of your failure. A good thing to know before you go and address a soluton. Replacing that piece is important but you don't want the situation to return.

4. Natej

Natej New Member

It is Shaw’s LVP, I believe the line is called Resilient. I bought it at Lowe’s. There really isn’t any down movement at all, the floor is very stable. Thanks for the interest