Lumpy carpet installation, or my imagination?

Discussion in 'Carpet Q&A' started by DIYPeter, May 29, 2017.

1. DIYPeter

DIYPeter Member

My new carpet feels lumpy at many places, as if there's something wrong with the pad underneath. Unfortunately I wasn't there to see the pads before they were covered up by the carpet.

Is there a way to objectively show that the carpet is indeed lumpy and is not my imagination, without pulling up the carpet? It would be even better if there's a way to illustrate this problem in a photo or video so I can show it to the carpet store.

2. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

Uh, they're well aware of padding that has recycled debris that has chunks of hard plastic. I've pulled back carpet before to remove some, like two chunks. Some of them were squeaky.

Not sure what they'll do about it.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Darren Ramey

Darren Ramey Charter Member

It could be a couple things. Rebond is great pad, but can be inconsistent. It can be thicker or thinner in places or have hard chunks as it's made from recycled materials. It could also be that the installers did not get up all the staples trapping chunks of pad from the previous installation.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

:stupid: That's exactly what I was thinking.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Don Monfils

Don Monfils PRO CARPET Charter Member

Or they didn't sweep the floor.

6. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

Or they used a stinger

• Like Like x 2
  7. Ed

Ed Charter Member

Another possibility if it is a long, thick napped, softback is that it is possible for clumps of cut off naps to stick to the softback while unrolling it in the room. I have seen this a couple times

• Like Like x 1
  8. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

As you're seeing, there are a variety of things it could be. You need a pro to check it out in person

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. mcbrides

mcbrides Canadian Installers Senior Member

My money is on leftover clumps of pad caught in old staples from the last installation.

10. Mike Antonetti

Anyone have money on "imagination"?

11. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I'm betting on hard spots in the pad.

12. Floor Boss

Floor Boss Flooring Professional and Mgr. I Support TFP

reminds me of an old carpet story: My helper just finished stretching and trimming the room and was going out for a cigarette before vacuuming. Couldn't find his smokes, so he checked back inside. There in the middle of our fresh install was a lump in the carpet..... his pack of smokes. While the client wasn't looking, he took his stair tool and smashed em' down instead of pulling up the whole room, proceeded to vacuum and everything looked great.
    We called the client to do a walk through and she came out of the kitchen to show her the completed install.
    She reached out towards us and said 'Do these cigarettes belong to either one of you?' ' And by the way, have you seen my parakeet?'
    :eek:

• Funny Funny x 2
  13. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

Still funny, even though I've heard that joke a million times in the last 40 years. :yesss:

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Floor Boss

Floor Boss Flooring Professional and Mgr. I Support TFP

My mentor (who taught me how to do everything wrong) told me that joke in my first week, 30yrs ago!
    And, for the record, I'm not a smoker.
    DB

• Like Like x 1
  15. Mike Sliwinski

Mike Sliwinski The Doctor Is In I Support TFP Senior Member

Try placing a golf ball on the hump area and video the roll.

Mike

16. Hanover Fist

Hanover Fist Pro Member

That joke goes back to an old (Norwegian iirc) commercial.
    Anyway - straight answer: No. in order to identify the lumps, your installer will have to pull back the carpet. I'd make sure they do this in front of you, preferably with their supervisor present - if it turns out they half-assed the install, and the boss isn't there, they can CYA and keep doing this to others.
    Also don't have another company do it, it will immediately terminate any warranty, however flimsy, you may have from your installer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Mike Antonetti

I would put some frog tape on the spots, penny, something to mark it as long as safe.