Lumber Liquidators...yay or Nay

Discussion in 'Help Selecting the Best Floor Covering' started by Keith Sager, Mar 23, 2019.

1. Keith Sager

Keith Sager Member

I live in a small town in Wisconsin....we have a Lowes and Menards and such but decided to go to LL just to get ideas. LL is 40 miles or so away, but so is a HJ Martin/CarpetOne shop as well. Seen and grabbed some really good samples at LL but haven't looked anywhere else. Tried to search on here to get specifics on LL but really didn't come up with much. I don't have the time and tools or any really experience in installing flooring so would have to have someone to that as well. Therefore, LL yay or Nay ?? Or better off going elsewhere. I am between Green Bay and Milwaukee

2. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

I can’t say yes or no, I’d have to see what specific product they’re peddlin. They are basically a distributor of product, what they choose to sell is another thing.

What areas of home? I assume you’re wanting floating vinyl plank.

3. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

My personal opinion is a big NAY. I don't like their reputation and I don't like that they might be the most sued flooring company around and have settled or lost to the tune of many millions of dollars.

Lumber Liquidators to pay $33 million criminal penalty

I don't trust their products and I don't think their sales staff have the training they should have. I also don't like the overall quality of a majority of materials found at big box stores and many of their sales people are lacking in training and experience with floor coverings.

I recommend established flooring businesses with good reputations and references.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Keith Sager

Keith Sager Member

Kitchen, Hallway, Bath

5. Keith Sager

Keith Sager Member

Again thank you all....I have been able to find some locals who know people and are willing to help guide me...plus a local flooring company I didn't know carried what I was looking for

• Like Like x 2
  6. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

Nay! Endless horror stories!

7. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

V
    Nothing to “try” products on. Those areas are critical as they’re more time consuming. Play with a bedroom, den, square stuff, lower dollar, larger quantity.

8. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

It's worth paying the premium for the local established tradesmen/retailers as opposed to the national/multi-national corporate franchise businesses. They make it confusing and awkward to compare apples to apples and oranges to oranges. I found it to be true with every aspect of home improvement that you want to find local experts you can trust by asking around friends, neighbors, family, church and other estabished tradesman. For example the guy who does bricks, concrete and pavers maybe doesn't do stucco. But he knows a guy who does. He also knows a really good painter, plumber........and so on.

Home Depot, Lowes and LL are in a different realm. They're really about mass merchandising and subcontracting out to CHEAPER quality tradesman who are working a subcontrators of subcontractors. It's a real shitty system. Worst thing is it's not even cheaper if you could ever boil it down to actually compare the apples to the apples. I think they are actually MORE EXPENSIVE nearly all the time than the local competition.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1