looking to start floor removal service only

Discussion in 'Floor Preparation' started by dexter445, Jul 7, 2019.

1. dexter445

dexter445 Pro Member

i own several micro niche businesses in tucson Arizona. pool tile cleaning, stump grinding, decorative rock spreading, custom window screens, ultra sonic blind cleaning. usually extremely labor intensive, jobs no one wants to do and or a businesses no one is currently doing in tucson. i use a little technology, the right equipment and a little experimentation and frankenstiening to figure out the most efficient and effective ways to preform a task. we just bought a house and were demo-ing it when we got to the glue down laminate floors. this task is true punishment. i only found 2 floor removal companies here in tucson online and neither has responded to calls, text or email. that's when my wife and i started to talk about floor removal and surface prep only as a business model. we don't want to do any flooring we just want to look at being the go to floor removal people in tucson. we typical niche residential. any help with the right equipment and processes would be extremely helpful. we will defiantly be getting a ride on scrapper

2. epoxyman

epoxyman Pro Member

In my true opinion you should have some experience in laying flooring before you just jump into a floor demo
    Business
    Tools upfront easy 75,000 to 100,00
    For good stuff.
    And you need guys that are willing to work even though you got tools there’s a lot of bull work stuff don’t jump off the floor and into the dumpster.

Been doing Epoxy and tile and demo for 33 plus years and it’s a good paying job
    But you have to love what you do.

Wish you luck if you start you flooring business cause it’s a lot different then the work your doing now.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti Senior Member

Prerequisite, I’d say vast knowledge of all flooring, vast knowledge of concrete.

Kinda similar to joining military, or starting a concrete polishing company.

It can be done but I agree a lot more
    money and learning curve.

4. Commercial Floor Rep

Commercial Floor Rep I Support TFP Published

We have two demo only contractors in our market. Really only one of them does a good job. He sends a ride-on demo machine and a 3 man crew to an "average" job. Depending on the size of the job and the schedule he can add crews as needed.

One guy drives the machine, and the other two guys do the cleanup and wrangle everything to the dumpster. When the guy driving gets done he grabs a hand grinder and finishes the last inch or so to the wall and gets the corners while the other two finish and do a "final cleaning". When they're done it's pretty much "prep ready" for the installation crew. Maybe some minor cleanup but they do a pretty good job. I've seen their work first hand on several jobs and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to anyone.

As Mike said, the cost of equipment and the investment in learning is pretty high but you can make a decent living at it. But make no mistake it's every bit as hard as what you've experienced. Different flooring requires different removal techniques and obviously anything that impacts the speed affects your bottom line.

The owner that does a good job with his guys has been doing it long enough now 20+ years that he will pretty much quote the job based on a per sf price without even seeing the job. The only thing that he will come look at before he quotes is wood. Wood can be a son of a gunner depending on how it's installed and how old it is.

The business model does not lend itself well to residential application because the size of the jobs (pretty small) make it too cost prohibitive to bring in big enough equipment to actually make money. No one would pay if you charged what you had to on those small jobs.

Anyway, my .02 on the subject. I wish you well and welcome to TFP!

• Like Like x 2
  5. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

CFR I got to say I have never heard that berfore. Must be one s.o.b. to get up is all I can think of.

:old:

Daris

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Commercial Floor Rep

Commercial Floor Rep I Support TFP Published

I don't want Jim putting me in the time out chair.

• Funny Funny x 3
  8. Mike Antonetti

So where are you in this decision go or no go?

Blinds cleaning is not really an exclusive job, I googled blind cleaning in Tucson and there’s at least 5 companies, nor rock spreading, or tile cleaning.

9. dexter445

dexter445 Pro Member

Already started. 3 man crew. 3 pulse bac vacs 311 cfm, dump trailer, edge grinder, 2 10” grinders and a 20” planetary grinder, 2. 7” metabos is and2 5” metabos. 80% of what we’re doing is tile, the learning curve has been easy. I’ll be starting another crew in 6-9 months. Ride on for wood floors is on its way. Depending on the job we can remove 1,000 to 1,500 sq feet in a day which includes grinding the thinset. I was able to get going for under $40k notincluding the ride on.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Mike Antonetti

What chipping hammer attachments? There’s a lot of sundry items, truck, 30 grand scraper 30 grand, and another truck, yes lot of investment dollars, but the return is good. Which planetary you get? I keep putting mine away as it’s speed/effectiveness is not comparable to the 7” grinders.

Which ride on brand you considering and why?

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
  11. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

$40K is a modest start-up cost for this kind of operation so I think you've done well for yourself. As you learn and grow you can expand the buisiness model into other types of flooring, adhesive and coverings removal. Congratulations.

12. Mike Antonetti

Yeah, it’s a good “start”, I could dump another 80k$ easily in.

13. dexter445

dexter445 Pro Member

there's only 1 blind comp in tucson doing blind cleaning were the only ones who are mobile. a lot of companies spread decorative rock, but we can spread 5-7 yards in 1 hour with 2 guys at $100 per yard, other competing pool tile
    i got the onfloor planetary grinder and swapped out the heads for 25 grit dimabrush head cuts through paint, epoxy, mastic quick and easy wo damaging the concrete the speed at which diamabrush works is well worth the cost of the expensive blade replacements.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Mike Antonetti

100$ yard including rock? Been there and there’s rock everywhere. Here in florida it’s all imported from out of state except for limerock(mush) Decorative River Rock here costs 130$yd.

Mighta saw your pool tile cleaning video on YouTube two old looking self propelled equipment with rotating brushes and the tech putting his hand on to show gentleness kinda like car wash. Grout is a problem on my pool, along with tile falling off.

Not sure your website is working, I assume it’s tileremovalguys? I click but it doesn’t open.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
  15. D Bozik

D Bozik Pro Member

Did you check out the Forums "equipment for sale" in this site? I have an almost new Riding scraper for sale. Look for my company logo pic (shown here on the left)

There are lots of options if you buy, to get it to you.

16. dexter445

dexter445 Pro Member

$100 is only for spreading the rock. They buy it we spread it. The video was for triple aaa pool tile cleaning. If u want to see mine look up docs pool tile cleaning.

• Like Like x 2