Looking for work in New York

Discussion in 'a Floor Pro Looking For Work' started by davidmcdonald58, Nov 6, 2012.

1. davidmcdonald58

davidmcdonald58 Pro Member

I currently reside in the state of florida been installing right around 4 years I can do Carpet, vinyl,vct and laminate would love to head back home in suffolk county long island, If anyone knows someone or can give me a heads up it would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

2. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Administwative Asst. Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Right now might be a good time to head up there since the storm has damaged hundreds if not thousands of homes. Renovation work will likely pickup very shortly, including the installation of flooring.

3. RichardB

RichardB Pro Member

David,

Most of the labor in that area is going to be Union shops. I would check there first.

4. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

Hi RichardB

Do unions have (control) significant RESIDENTIAL market share anywheres?

Not that I know of.

When a guy tells me he does carpet, vinyl, wood, vct and laminate he's telling me he's for the most part NOT a commercial guy. The exceptions prove the rule. Look it up.

There's essentially ZERO laminate in the commercial universe.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  5. RichardB

RichardB Pro Member

Excellent point! While you are probably correct with regards to the laminate, i would argue that the term VCT isn't synonymous with the residential industry as well.

6. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Administwative Asst. Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

NOT the residential side!

PS: he says he's only been installing (around) 4 years. That tells me he is a residential guy. :yesss:

7. davidmcdonald58

davidmcdonald58 Pro Member

I mostly do residential but i have some commercial experience to me and my boss just did 26,000 feet of vct in wal mart so i learned alot there and i have been on 5,000 yrds of commercial for palmcoast data in florida and last week we did 1,500 yds of commercial over pad in condos 5 seperate buildings but overall i do mostly do residential work and i have a lot to learn but i enjoy working on the floor.

8. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

Don't be afraid to go anywheres and try anything if there's money to be made and you're the right guy. What's the worst that could go wrong?------so long as you're single and have no outstanding debt. To me that's always been the number one advantage to working with tools and knowing your stuff. It's right there in word JOURNEYMAN. You HAVE to go where the work is, as long as the price is right. Unions are a hassle but seriously they're NOTHING compared to the hassles of running your own independent outfit. Most people who join unions bounce in and out as the economy and opportunities shift gears. In the vast majority of instances out there where you work and the type of work will dictate whether you're going to have to or want to join a union. Really, very few installers even have that choice