Looking for pad recommendations for Fabrica carpet

Discussion in 'Carpet Q&A' started by LaJuana, Nov 16, 2016.

1. LaJuana

LaJuana Member

I am replacing carpeting in the bedrooms and on the stairs and hallway of my home, and am in the process of deciding between two Fabrica carpets--Power Point (Fabrica Carpet & Rugs - Power Point - Violetta) and Denali (Fabrica Carpet & Rugs - Denali - VIOLETTA). I am looking for help choosing the best pad for these carpets and locations to maximize the life of the carpet. I have learned so much reading the forums here at The Floor Pro, and would appreciate any recommendations from the community.

I am especially concerned about wear on the stairs. An aside question: Would the pin-dot texture of Powerpoint wear better than the simple cut pile of Denali? Both are relatively short and dense weaves. What pad would be best to minimize wear on the stairs?

Thank you so much for any advice or experience you have to offer. I am hoping to order the carpet this month.

2. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

On the stairs I would use a hair/ fiber pad. And also make sure the installer goes over the nose of the step. You could use a good 8 lb.rebond type pad for the rest depending if you want comfort and softer feel.

:old:

Daris

3. LaJuana

LaJuana Member

Thank you for the recommendation. Do you have any specific recommendations for the hair/fiber pad? What density? Composition? Anything else I should know or watch for? Also, would there be any advantage to going with a denser 9# rebond pad for the bedrooms and hallway?

4. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

That is better than 8lb pad and is ok. Look for a fiber pad that is 1/2" thick, some have like a 10lb rating.

5. JPfloor

JPfloor Pro Member

Hair? I haven't seen nor heard it called that in quite some time. Daris, your showing your age...

But I do agree.... A 32oz. Fiber pad would be the best and most durable for the steps. It would also do well in the bedrooms.

If a softer cushion is a must then a 7/16", 8lb. Density rebound is more that sufficient for the bedrooms. In my opinion anything of higher density is overkill.

6. LaJuana

LaJuana Member

Thanks to both of you for your advice. I appreciate it a lot. Is there a case to be made for using the fiber pad in the bedrooms and hall instead of the rebond?

7. Daris Mulkin

Quite honestly you could use the rebond throughout. Just that the fiber pad is more dense on the steps and less chance of wear through on the nose of the step. Rebond would work though probably without a problem. I've been doing installs for 50 years and have used rebond most of the time without a problem. The very nose edge is the wear point, that is why I said to make sure the pad covered the nose. The top 3 and bottom 3 steps will show the most wear first as they are the ones that catch the speed and sliding of the foot.
    Wearing tennis shoes is one of the worst thing to wear on carpet for wear as they rip the fiber due to the design on the bottom. Soft soled slippers is best and not barefoot or socks as they hold the body oils that can transfer to the carpet.
    Hope this helps.

Daris

8. kwfloors

We used to do more fiber pad than any other as we were installing more woven carpet. Generally, fiber pad is more dense and has a higher rating. Sure, you could do it everywhere. It is firmer than the 8lb rebond.

Syntex™

9. Mike Sliwinski

Mike Sliwinski The Doctor Is In Senior Member

Personally I would be more concerned with the feel, rather than the
    wear. Ask yourself, do I prefer a firm feel ( 40 ounce felt ) or a softer
    sinking type feel ( 3/8'' 8.0 lb bonded ) Do a test at the store.

PS> Yes the pindot element should hide the wear patterns better
    than a solid plush, but only make the practical choice if your heart
    is not into the plush.

Best of luck with your beautification :D

Mike

10. LaJuana

LaJuana Member

Thank you for all the advice...

I really appreciate your generous help. I'm just a little bit obsessive about wanting to make the right choices. :confused: I will do the step test at my local independent shop, but I am leaning toward going with the pindot texture and fiber pad on the stairs and the plush with 8# rebond pad in the bedrooms.

I realize the dye lots may be slightly different with the two different carpet styles in the same color, but I am hoping that with just that top lip juxtaposed against the stair carpet, it won't be too unpleasant a contrast. Is that naive?

11. LaJuana

LaJuana Member

Thanks for this hint, too. As empty-nesters, but with grandchildren starting to arrive with regularity, I need to think about keeping a basket of slippers here for those precious feet.

12. LaJuana

LaJuana Member

Local Store Recommends Urethane Pad?

My local store advises me that a urethane pad (not bonded) is the best pad they have. I am entirely unfamiliar with urethane pads. What is the difference between a urethane pad and the traditional rebond?

Would you advise I go with the urethane or insist on the 8-10 lb. rebond for the bedrooms? The store says I should use the urethane on the stairs, too. If so, what weight or other characteristics of urethane should I look for?

With the advice I've received here, I thought I knew what I wanted, but now I'm confused again. Help!

13. Daris Mulkin

Have you contacted Fabrica to see what they say. I haven't seen much urethane pads used so I can't answer your question to well. Years ago they would flatten out in the traffic areas.

Daris

14. LaJuana

LaJuana Member

Fabrica recommends...

...an 8# rebond. That's another reason I'm concerned about this urethane foam pad.

15. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

I always like quality made rebond. Fiber pad is a little too dense for my liking. Pad should somewhat absorb impact which puts less stress on fibers but some on backing.

Cheap Urethane in the past has flattened, I haven't seen much removed and noted it's retention.

On the stairs fibers tend to lay sideways that are subjected to traffic, which reflects light differently than no traffic areas. Went to odor control class a few days ago and instructor started talking about warranties," basically that their worthless, when you read them they don't cover stairs."

So you will see a traffic pattern no matter your choice, fleck or no fleck.

See what the council says to a homeowner and tell us your perception of what they say about your particular carpet and situation. It will be good education for us all.

Carpet Cushion Council - Contact Us

16. kwfloors

Urethane pad is our best pad and we use it a lot under our higher end carpets.

17. LaJuana

LaJuana Member

Question for kwfloors or anyone with experience with high face weight carpet

Will the fact that these two carpets are >100 oz. face weight in a relatively short pile make a difference? What density of urethane do you use under carpets of this weight? Do you use the mechanically frothed kind? (I did some reading over at the CCC.) My local shop doesn't usually deal with this weight of carpet. They are being very kind to order it for me, as are those of you who are sharing your expertise for my benefit.

18. LaJuana

LaJuana Member

I did contact the CCC...

I'll post back if I hear from them. Thanks for the suggestion.

You mentioned good quality rebond. How will I tell good quality rebond from its alternative?

19. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

Back when I was installing carpet regularly the 6# was uniform, straight, hardly any flaws, then a few years ago thickness varied,more junk in it, felt lighter, not as tightly bonded,webbing all distorted. It basically got cheaper and cheaper, I was buying it at 1.35a yard from a retailer. I think the box stores they were getting 4.50. Not sure what prices are now. You can go to box stores and see the rolls and what they offer, the upgrades are usually special order.

20. kwfloors