Looking for new carpet

Discussion in 'Carpet Q&A' started by ttu, Aug 27, 2017.

1. ttu

ttu Member

Well our living room carpet which extends up three steps and down the hallway is starting to show some wear after 27 years. Its what I believe back then they called a sculpted carpet in various shades of brown. Do not know the mfg if I did I would buy the same again in a heart beat. So done a lot of reading on this site as well as visiting the few stores we have in our community but it looks the only sculpted carpets I could find are of pretty low quality. So since that does not look like a option, what brand seems like it will give me the same service life as our current carpet?

2. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

That style is hard to find now. We did tons of it in the 80's. Installed some 8 years ago and it was dropped by the mill when I did the job. I recommend finding a Karastan dealer and starting there. And then there are wool companies if its in your budget.

3. SteveG

SteveG Pro Member

I've seen some sculptured carpets from Shaw, Karastan, and Fabrica. What you have currently is kind of a dated style, but if you like it - it's out there. Your LOCAL flooring store will have it or have access to it.

4. ttu

ttu Member

Thanks for the replies. I did find one from Shaw that looked very similar but that was all, it was very thin and did not even rebound from pushing your hand on it. The sales person was not suggesting it at all, said he would not even recommend it for a rental! We are in a small area and have spent many hours at our three carpet shops. Do have a Home Depot but didn't figure we would find any quality there.

I uploaded a photo of our current carpet.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Attached Files:

5. kwfloors

Karastan and Fabrica don't have that. I don't think Shaw does either but they own a lot of other mills so it might have their name on it. We haven't found that style in several years so if you find a brand let us know.

6. ttu

ttu Member

:DMan, I was hoping someone would say, YES I know where you can find that carpet!

7. SteveG

SteveG Pro Member

I know for sure I've seen that pattern on an old Shaw board but I'm pretty sure the board got tossed. We had something very similar to this in our old home (installed in the late 80's).

8. ttu

ttu Member

So the search for something we can live with has started. We have seen some samples we are liking but they are Wool...being told it quite durable what do you all say about going this route. Is it also easy to maintain, install?

9. kwfloors

I have Karastan cobblehill in my living room. Its 24 years old, raising boys and dogs. Showing some wear but I use it hard and it cleans up easily. Its a woven wool/acrylic blend. Wool is a great fiber.

10. ttu

ttu Member

Funny it was Karastan company we were looking at! Not sure if it was a blend or not as I did not know they made blends. Will need to do some reading on that.

11. kwfloors

Personally I like woven carpet because it doesn't have the secondary backing like others. I started installing with it 36 years ago and still doing some jobs with it today.

• Like Like x 1
  12. ttu

ttu Member

Ok so we finally agreed on an available carpet. It is a Karastan carpet from what I under stand each place its sold the same carpet will have a unique name so there will be no price comparing between bushiness! Anyway the line is 70881 Venetian Fantasy and we just ordered a large sample of the 3878 Maple Sugar color as they call it. Was quoted $6.53 sqft installed (Will require 796 sqft to do the room and hall) if we remove and haul away our own existing carpet plus $12 per stair for the three steps. This is with the Karastan padding. We could opt for a 8lbs pad with vapor blocking and save $160 but I figure using the Karastan pad with the Karastan carpet is the way to go?. It will take a week for the larger sample to get here so we (and by we I mean the wife...)can be sure the color is what is wanted. We are aware that the actual carpet might be slightly different then the sample via the disclaimer stating the fact. So any insight or input on anything I posted above I should be thinking about?
    Venetian Fantasy

13. ttu

ttu Member

So just when I thought we had our carpet picked out the dealer said you might want to consider one other one that is doing well. The carpet is from
    Engineer floors - Dream Weaver - Masquerade 6565 so any feed back on experience with this carpet?

14. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

From what I understand all Dreamweaver carpet is Poly. I looked in their products and the one you listed didn't show up.

:old:

Daris

15. ttu

ttu Member

Yes the sample board does say its Polyester, is that bad???

16. kwfloors

Poly goes flat fast and is cheap. We don't sell them, we stick to nylon and wool.

• Like Like x 1
  17. ttu

ttu Member

I am surprise to hear that, I know this might be a weird test and probably does not mean much in the long run in regards to traffic but we been setting the two carpet samples (the poly Dream Weaver and the Nylon Karastan ) Venetian Fantasy under the legs of the couch and end table at the same time.(been moving them around) believe it or not the Dream Weaver had the least amount of crush fibers and bounced back on it own fastest. I am sure this is a pretty unscientific test!

18. Tom Potter

Tom Potter I Support TFP

If your budget allows it, go with nylon or wool.
    Polyester gets really grimy looking fast. Especially in traffic areas.

19. ttu

ttu Member

Thanks Tom, we returned the Polyester sample after KW's reply. I was just surprised as it resisted crushing and such so much better then the Karastan sample. We will be sticking to Nylon.

• Like Like x 1