Looking for feedback on MultiCore Premium Vinyl Plank

Discussion in 'Vinyl Flooring Q&A' started by diymike, Nov 27, 2017.

1. diymike

diymike Member

Long story short, we had a leak from a copper pipe above our kitchen. Our Konecto Prestige is coming up and we've narrowed down our choices to Mannington Acacia Locksolid Tigers Eye or MultiCore Premium Chapel Hill Acacia. We're leaning towards the MultiCore for color and texture reasons, but have not been able to find much feedback or reviews on this product. I was hoping to get some here. The wear layer is a bit thicker 22mil vs 16 for the Adura and it also has a thin cork backing for some sound dampening.

Here's a link to their website .: Our Products - Interior Decoration and Construction Supplies for Residential and Real Estate Projects - PT. TRI HARMONI ANTAR BENUA :.

It is a "cheaper" product for me to buy; $2.76 sqft vs $3.83s qft. but since the homeowner's is paying for this, it makes no difference to us.

2. Commercial Floor Rep

Commercial Floor Rep I Support TFP Published

Adura Locksolid would not be a comparable crossover to this product. The equivalent product from Mannington would be Adura Max. Not sure where the 16 mil wearlayer info came from for the Adura Locksolid, but that's not correct. It's a 12mil wearlayer. The Adura Max has a 20 mil wearlayer and is a similar waterproof construction (WPC) to the Multicore product.

Be cautious when comparing the raw numbers and thicknesses of the wearlayers because the thickness is only one component of wearlayer. What's it's made of, what it may or may not be enhanced with, and how it's bonded to the product itself are all just as important. You can have a thinner wearlayer severly outperform a thicker one based on these other attributes.

It's a maze to navigate, even for us pros so be patient and ask questions.

• Like Like x 2
  3. diymike

diymike Member

Thanks for the information! I actually got that 16mil number from Mannington. The woman I spoke to said that "if it's a beveled edge product, then it has a 16mil wear layer".

I know that it's very hard to compare these lvt products by numbers alone. We did take a quarter to both the Mannington Adura & the Multicore Premium, and we actually felt like the MC resisted scratching better. But, will the locking mechanism be as strong as the Adura? I don't know.

The flooring company that works with the "restoration" company says they have been installing the MC for several years with no problems. And one of the larger flooring companies in my area also carries the line. Dollar wise; I know the Adura would cost another $1 per square, which I'd probably have to fight over. Technically, the MC ($2.76 per sq) is an "equivalent" product to the Konecto Prestige ($2.99 per sq) we put down ourselves.

It's always a headache when dealing with insurance claims.

Thanks again for your input,
    Mike

4. Commercial Floor Rep

Commercial Floor Rep I Support TFP Published

Even though I'm a Mannington guy (I work for one of their distributors), comparing the two products, the Multicore is probably the better option between the two. It's a more rigid product and as such will perform better long term.

If we were comparing Adura Max to the Multicore then I would go with the Mannington product due to it's core and construction. It has 20 mil wearlayer with aluminum oxide (market name ScratchResist). It carries a residential and a commercial warranty for wear and manufacturing defect. In my 20+ years of distributing their products I've never seen such a problem free product as Adura Max.

WPC construction has only been around about 3 at the very most 4 years so if they told you they've been installing it for years that would be a stretch. Years in my world is 5-10 not 2 or 3. Coretec from US Floors was the first one out of the gate about 3 years ago then many of the bigger companies followed with their own takes about a year later. Now, about every other day two or three more of these private labeled, WPC imports come out. Everyone is producing it in China including Mannington. Our traditional LVT such as the Adura Locksolid is being made here, but the WPC is all still over seas.

I hate to say it but in my experience the people answering the phones in customer service are typically the newest people in the company. In my experience they use that area as a training ground to familiarize them with the product and they are typically reading and looking up answers from the current literature. I call every once in a while when I get a report like this and pretend to be a consumer to see what they tell me. It's pretty sad really. Pretty much a trial by fire.

By the way, the 16mil number is incorrect unless they've changed something and not told us which would be a huge problem. That product started out with a 6mil wearlayer when it was first introduced and went to 12 mils about 6 years ago. I was literally sitting in the room at the mill when they rolled it out to distribution. I think it's been 11 years ago now. I confirmed the wearlayer with our tech guys again as I don't work day to day with the residential product line. So unless they haven't told their own internal guys, it's a 12 mil.

Hope this helps and wish you success with your floor whatever you decide.

• Like Like x 1
  5. diymike

diymike Member

Thanks a lot, I appreciate your honest opinion. We're probably going to go with the MCP for a few reasons. The color works best with the rest of our house, the Holidays are around the corner and it's readily available from the installer & the insurance company has already approved the work. Time will tell if we made the right choice.

• Like Like x 1
  6. diymike

diymike Member

The "installer" is here now. Guess I shouldn't be surprised they sent just one guy to tear out and install roughly 630 sq. ft. to keep the costs down.

7. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

What’s wrong with that? I’m doing 1300 sq ft solo. No furniture and I have 3 days.

8. diymike

diymike Member

Oh, okay. I just assumed that since we're a flight of stairs from ground level that there would be at least a helper. To carry down & out , the old flooring & carry up the boxes of new.

And, they did know that our China closet, refrigerator and sofa would be present.

9. Chris 45

As long as you emptied your china hutch, a set of sliders will do wonders. Helpers are nice but they don’t always help.

10. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

Chris is an installer's real man. Me, I always had a helper - big job, small job - I didn't figure I could teach the trade on a part-time schedule. A good helper made me money. Yes, there was always the worry my helper would end up my competition, but in 35 years, that happened only a couple of times and it still made me money (fixing his bad jobs).

Anyway, lots of installers work alone. As long as the job is done right, there's shouldn't be a problem.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Chris 45

I don’t do jobs that have super crazy furniture n stuff like that but I usually have no problem with minimal furniture on a floating floor job. I lay the floor up to the offending piece of furniture, move it the 2 feet or so that I have to then continue laying planks. Can’t really do that with vinyl so that is a different story.

Aside from that, working by myself ain’t nearly as fun as working with another skilled installer. But when I think hard about it, I would just get more jobs with furniture if I was able to more easily deal with furniture. In a strange way, working solo is a good thing at this present time:)

12. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

I worked alone for 8 years, in those 8 years I did 40000 sqft school additions, 10's of thousands of vct floors and 5x5 bathrooms too!

Anyone dumb enough and a radio loud enough can accomplish anything.

Recently I acquired a partner and an apprentice...... I will never go back!

13. diymike

diymike Member

IMG_2765.jpg IMG_2766.jpg IMG_2767.jpg The installer was/is outstanding. My wife handled the "moving. & We placed sliders under the china closet, electric range, fridge and sectional so it was a breeze. He managed to lay down roughly half of the 630 square feet. A very precise and fast craftsman, polite too. The MultiCore "feels" much better under foot than the Konecto Prestige, though that flooring still looked great.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Chris 45

Glad to hear that things worked out for you.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

See, we aren't all dumb dumbs :)

• Like Like x 1
  16. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Administwative Asst. Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

What, only the Canucks?o_O:D

• Funny Funny x 2
  17. SLH

SLH New Member

How do you like the Multicore Premuim? We are thinking about having the MultiCore Premium Williamsburg installed in about 3600 square feet of our house. We have been researching LVT and have gone to 6 different flooring places bringing home dozens of samples. We keep going back to the Muliticore because it has the look and feel of real wood, also shows minimal scratches on a scratch test. We have 3 teenage boys and 6 dogs and live in the country so we need something durable and waterproof. I have not been able to find any reviews on the product until yours.

18. diymike

diymike Member

So far, and it's only been a week & a half...we love it! We're in the country also...have 3 dogs, no teenagers, and one 2 1/2 year old grandson. Like you, we felt it had the most realistic look of the vinyl planks we saw.