Long Overdue Bathroom Remodel

Discussion in 'Other Home Decorating & Remodeling Projects' started by Jim McClain, Jun 14, 2018 at 1:02 AM.

1. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

I have been wanting to remodel my bathroom for years. I knew when I remodeled my main living space, a combo living/office/kitchen, in 2009 that I wanted to eventually do the bathroom. In fact, I discovered the landlord/builder (also my best friend) had left a big cavity of empty space walled in next to my vanity, so in 2008 or early 2009, I built a recessed "towel cubby" to give me more storage. Unfortunately, a plumbing problem forced me to remove it and I never got around to putting it back.

Anyway, I did the main room in 8 months, then I did the bedroom, which took another 5 months. It takes so long because my lungs don't work so well and I can only do physical stuff for short periods of time. I have to pace myself, but I've learned to deal with it and can do a lot of things as long as there's no rush.

Here are some photos of the original bathroom.

bath-before01.jpg bath-before02.jpg bath-before03.jpg bath-before04.jpg bath-before05.jpg bath-before06.jpg bath-before07.jpg bath-before08.jpg bath-before09.jpg bath-before10.jpg

2. Jim McClain

The tenants next door moved out last month. That unit shares my bathroom wall. My bedroom and bath used to be a part of that unit and the builder decided there didn't need to be any insulation or soundproofing between those walls. During my bedroom remodel, I added soundproofing all along that shared wall, but the bathroom has had zero soundproof qualities for the 11+ years I've been here. It's a 2x4 stud wall with half-inch sheetrock on each side and lots of electrical boxes that act like little speakers. I have heard everything that takes place in the apartment next door - conversations, crying babies, howling dogs and couples that think the dining room table is an exciting place for sexual adventures.

Now the landlord/builder is here and they have decided to move into that unit and do some remodeling of their own. I have taken the opportunity to begin my bath remodel project and asked my friend, the landlord, to help me with the heavy lifting. He agreed, as long as I didn't mess with the plumbing or electrical, so I had to beg him to fix the messes he left behind so many years ago. I had to help pay for some of the materials because I wanted to change the lighting scheme and move a couple of water lines to facilitate a new vanity, which I want to try to build myself.

Here's a few photos of the plumbing he did for me. The first 3 are of the original plumbing mess, the others are his "repairs." Still not perfect, but much better than it was.

bath-remodel-plumbing01.jpg bath-remodel-plumbing02.jpg bath-remodel-plumbing03.jpg bath-remodel-plumbing04.jpg bath-remodel-plumbing06.jpg

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018 at 1:18 AM
  3. Jim McClain

I did a lot of research on soundproofing so I could get the most bang for my dollars. I bought some Green Glue Noiseproofing Sealant, which is used to "caulk" all the edges, small holes and seams of the sheetrock. It works best when used for new sheetrock installations, but also helps to use it around junction boxes and the bottom of the rock before any base is installed. I used it as much as I could on his side wherever he made repairs or changes to the walls. I was able to apply it to the back side of all of his sheetrock after I removed all of my old sheetrock.

There were some big cavities where walls met walls and holes that were exposed to the attic or next to sewer pipe in the concrete slab and bugs would find their way in. I got some expanding foam to fill those gaps and a special foam for the cavities in the concrete where the bugs would come and go.

Acoustic clay (putty pads) was next. It is quite heavy, a little sticky and very easy to form around junction boxes and that big washing machine outlet box (since no insulation will fit behind it, I put 3 layers of clay on the back of it).

Then came Rockwool Safe 'n' Sound soundproofing insulation. I first saw the stuff used by Mike Holmes, of Holmes on Homes fame. He's kind of a blowhard, but I did research the product and it has a good reputation.

These photos are of the soundproofing I did in this bathroom.

bath-remodel-soundproofing01.jpg bath-remodel-soundproofing02.jpg bath-remodel-soundproofing04.jpg bath-remodel-soundproofing05.jpg bath-remodel-soundproofing06.jpg bath-remodel-soundproofing07.jpg

4. Jim McClain

Today (well, it's yesterday now) I did 2 sheets of rock on 3 walls. The landlord helped me carry it in and held it up until I could get a few screws in. Tomorrow, I'll get the bottom part done. Then I'll have to remove the cabinet over the toilet and get the rock up on the pocket door wall and patch the hole I put in the wall above the toilet 3 years ago.

I'm feeling pressured to get this all done quickly because the landlord is working on a refinance of the property and will be getting an appraisal and walk-through in about a month and he doesn't want me to be in the middle of my project. And I don't want him doing any of my work because, well, he just doesn't like doing this stuff anymore and, consequently, doesn't really care if anything is done pretty or even right all the time. I'm a little pickier than that.

Here's a few photos of the sheetrock and areas yet to be rocked.

bath-remodel-sheetrock01.jpg bath-remodel-sheetrock02.jpg bath-remodel-sheetrock03.jpg bath-remodel-sheetrock04.jpg bath-remodel-sheetrock05.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  5. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

Nice Jim, I’m in some similar situations with bath remodel and soundproofing some condotel walls/between doors of conjoining rooms. Unless I want to not hear arguments at 3 in the morning.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Jim McClain

Hey Mike, see something familiar in the 3rd photo of my last post? Thanks for the Ridgid gear. :yesss: Getting good use of it.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

Didn’t notice, or look at all your “Detail” work that most do not do, (basically because of the phone) but I will come back for reference purposes to do pretty much what you’re doing to achieve maximum effectiveness of sound suppression. Also maximizing space ideas.

8. Jim McClain

Speaking of which... the landlord decided to reclaim that empty space next to my vanity area since he cleaned up the plumbing. His laundry closet was made wider, so no more towel cubby for me. But I do have room enough for a deep medicine cabinet that I will build. That's the small window-looking opening.

So, my bath won't be any smaller, as far as the basic footprint, but less built in storage. I plan to make a slightly larger vanity and try to make a tall cabinet that will fit on that same wall, to the left of the vanity. That's partly why I asked him to change the wiring. He had it spread out over that wall so's you couldn't put anything in front of a light or fan switch.

9. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

You guys don't sleep enough. I was up working on a commercial kitchen floor all day and night and went to bed at 5:30 am.