Linoleum install and weld on the same day?

Discussion in 'Commercial Flooring Sales & Installation' started by Robert5084, Aug 7, 2018.

1. Robert5084

Robert5084 Pro Member

I have a small lino job tomorrow that is 3 hours away. I've heard of people installing and welding on the same day but I'm not sure if there are certain guidelines to doing it right or is it done the say way I normally do it if I was to wait the next day? I really don't wanna drive back the next day, any help would be great.

2. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

So, the issue with welding the same day is that the glue has not set. This can cause lifting along the seam edges as the hot air from the gun flashes the glue causing bond failure.

....That being said, I have welded a lot of lino on the same day for the same reasons. It's a smaller risk in my opinion with some of the adhesives we use today, but a risk none the less. Six hours of driving kinda risk... you bet ;)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Jon Scanlan

Jon Scanlan That Kiwi Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Agree with Mark. We just about weld each job we do before we leave as who wants to drive miles for a few minutes work of welding unless someone wants to pay for an extra half day just to weld. Just make sure the glue is really cleaned out of the join before welding

4. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

So what happens is the adhesive is still wet. The heat from welding causes the adhesive to steam or even squeeze up between the sheet goods and the weld rod. You won’t get a solid weld and you may very well even have adhesive contaminating your weld. 3 hours away, I’d prolly weld it the same day myself but you just gotta know what will happen and shouldn’t be surprised 6 to 9 months down the road if the seam fails. Not the professional way to go but sometimes reality dictates what we do and you gotta roll with the punches. Concrete or wood? What adhesive will you be using? Sustain is wet. 885L is a bit more tacky and will set up quicker. Armstrong 780? Henry’s Lino lock sets up like right now and you should adjust your scribes accordingly because your Lino won’t expand as much as say a juicy adhesive , like sustain 885m, will. But then again you’re welding. I’ve gouged my seam then put a fan on it and gone to a long lunch or had a safety meeting. It helps but it’s still not how it should be and it’s a chance you will be taking. Dark material hides the burn better so you can turn up your welder and hold the tip a bit farther away from the surface to minimize adhesive ooze while still heating the material for a good bond. I can’t believe I just told you how to hack a weld the same day:eek:

5. Barry Carlton

Barry Carlton I Support TFP Senior Member Published

Either leave a tiny dry zone (1/4 masking tape works well) or use solvent based contact at the seam areas. Easy Peasy.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Robert5084

Robert5084 Pro Member

I'm assuming it will be sustain as that's what the shop who gives me the jobs supplies. Also assuming concrete (haven't seen the job yet. I'm not fully understanding the fan part. By gouged thevseam do you mean grooving then put the fan on the grooved seam to dry out any exposed glue? I want to do the best job possible as well as avoiding another 6 hours of driving, so these tips are greatly appreciated.

So put down quarter inch masking tape in the middle of the length of the seam, glue up to both edges of the tape and then remove tape?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2018
  7. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

Just like the old school mannington seam kits

8. Barry Carlton

Glue right over the tape. Peel it up. Just like the old school Mannington seam kits. ;)

9. Robert5084

Robert5084 Pro Member

I'm assuming after it's rolled, the gap will be smaller than 1/4"? I actually like this idea. Is there less likely of something going wrong with this method over the ones mentioned above or is it basically the same chance? Either way I think I'll give it a try.

10. Barry Carlton

Truthfully, your best bet is to use solvent based contact. But, this method is nearly foolproof and will, if done right, leave a dry zone just the right size so as not to affect the welding.

• Like Like x 2