Let's Meet at Surfaces 2012

Discussion in 'Industry News, Training & Organizations' started by Jim McClain, Sep 30, 2011.

1. Jim McClain

Jim McClain TFP Owner/Founder Administrator

My attendance at Surfaces was pretty iffy for the 2012 convention. Thanks to RGFloor, Barry Carlton and Robert Akin (and maybe some other John/Jane Does), I am going to make it. I'm very excited and looking forward to meeting some of you there.

surfaces2007_061l.jpg It has been 5 years since my last Surfaces convention - thanks to the generosity, again, of some wonderful friends here at TFP. I faced similar difficulties this year. My income is very small and saving is hard. But I also have mobility issues to deal with. I can still walk, but only for very short distances. I use a Segway because it allows me the ability to stand and takes almost no exertion to operate. The Segway was introduced to me on my way to Surfaces 2007 through the generosity of an old customer and a Segway dealer in Oakland, CA.

I've had that Segway for almost 5 years now. The batteries don't take me as far as they used to. They would only last about an hour or 2 at the convention before needing to charge for 6 hours. So finding a solution to that has been just one more obstacle in getting to Surfaces. Even with the generosity of those people above, I was faced with the prospect of having to sit out another convention that could be important to TFP as an industry recognized website of value.

I asked for help from someone I do occasional web work for and am now able to stop worrying about batteries for my Segway. Because the powers that be at Surfaces back-tracked on the permission they gave me in 2007 to use my chosen mobility aide, I sent an email to them this year that should result in the elimination of another obstacle. Many people don't see the Segway as a "approved" mobility device. They don't understand that the ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) does not have a "list." But the latest revisions to the ADA do now include the mention of Segways.

So, my attendance at Surfaces 2012 is looking pretty solid now. I hope many of you will be able to make it as well. It would be great if we can all meet somewhere. It's not too early (or too late) to plan. Surfaces 2012 is January 23-26, 2012 - Welcome To - Surfaces Let's figure out a way to get together.

Thanks again Roger, Barry, Rob and anyone else who anonymously contributed to make it possible for me to go.

Jim

2. RFI

RFI Mr. Nefarious Senior Member

To all TFP members, Thank you for making this happen! I appreciate your help!

Rob

3. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member Senior Member

Meeting at the booth worked well at the Sands, don't know where anything is at MB. Maybe the gang could eat out some night too. Looking forward to being there this time as I missed the last one.

4. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Administwative Asst. Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Just so you know, this was not the three of us, it was the VERY generous hearts of over 25 of ya on TFP. All we did was share in it and facilitate it.

TFP members are who deserve the credit. THANK YOU so much!!

5. Nate Hall

Nate Hall Types With toes I Support TFP Senior Member Published

I've NEVER been to Surfaces before. So I'm going to need a little hand -holding to get together with TFPeople. (Sands, MB, THE booth ) I need specific locations please. Eager to meet up with everybody, though.

6. ortiz34

ortiz34 2nd generation Senior Member

Glad you can go.
    I've never been but would love to go.
    I'm having another kid in January so I'm out. Oh yeah, no money either :blink:

Hope to go next year

7. Nate Hall

Nate Hall Types With toes I Support TFP Senior Member Published

CFI convention attendees were invited to Surfaces FOR FREE! I would miss it, AGAIN, if not for that offer. (certification DOES PAY!)

8. Jim McClain

Jim McClain TFP Owner/Founder Administrator

How did you manage that? You HAD to lie to them all. There ain't 25 people anywhere that even like me. :eek:

9. nimrod

nimrod Pro Member

Sounds like ur mistaken.......:p

10. Barry Carlton

Barry Carlton I Support TFP Senior Member Published

The Sands is a Hotel, the Booth is the CFI booth. Not sure where Surfaces moved to but that is what MB stands for.

11. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

It was put out that if we didn't contribute we couldn't vist tfp anymore!:eek:...:ohno:

The Sands was the convention center. The hotel was torn down years ago.
    MB is the Mandalay Bay. I havent been there in 2 years either and have no idea of the lay out of the place. At the Sands convention center the CFI booth was at the door coming in.
    I'm sure Roland knows a spot-he knows everything.

Daris

12. Roland Thompson

Roland Thompson Charter Member Senior Member

The Sands is still there and so is the Hotel that it was hooked to.
    Surfaces moved to the convention hall at the Mandalay Bay. They have no area for booths on the outside, all booths had to be in the hall. Last year the CFI booth was all the way back next to the WFCA Lounge.
    If that is were it is again we could meet there and even get a seat in the lounge area.
    They do have a food court area in the lobby area before going into the show, that could be a place also we could meet.
    It is a nice change from the Sands, the only thing I did not like was the distance to go from top floor to bottom floor.

13. Dave Garden

Dave Garden CFI and Proud

I will be there this year. After all, I won Rolands trip. I most certainly would not mind seeing people I know. The last time I was there I was sick the entire time and did not get out.

14. Roland Thompson

Go ahead Dave rub it in. That's ok I came home with what we wanted again any way.

15. Kman

Kman Tile Expert I Support TFP Senior Member Published

That would be something great to save up and go to, but unfortunately I'll be in Little Rock learning how to reconstruct an accident. Maybe next year. :(

16. Darren Ramey

Darren Ramey Charter Member I Support TFP

Assuming I still have any money left in January, how much does it cost to get in to the convention itself? I can't find the info at the Surfaces site.

17. Roland Thompson

Just to get into the convention without the education programs is free if you have signed up by I think middle of Nov.
    Now there are lots of free demo's and education things being put on in the hall by companys, so you still get to learn alot

18. Dave Garden

Dave Garden CFI and Proud

Did you come home with a new hair care product or growth pills! Ha Ha. I am looking forward to going. I am bringing my wife. Free hotel room. I am selling it like I am opening the coffers to take her oin a vacation. Shje may be a bit surprised to happen upon a convention, but I am sure she will enjoy it as much as I will.

19. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member Senior Member

You might like the World of Concrete convention that is at the Las Vegas convention center at the same time. I go to that too one day, maybe two. Its bigger than Surfaces.

20. Chris Mha

Chris Mha Charter Member Senior Member

I found out today that Southwest has $59 each way tickets if booked before Nov. 14th. I think they need to be used by mid February which coincides nicely for Surfaces. I think I am going to book it at that price. Might even have the possibility of a free room. Still working on that. Will let you all know.