Let’s Talk Sleep!

Discussion in 'Health & Safety Forum' started by Mike Antonetti, Jan 29, 2019.

1. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti Senior Member

Critical! Good Sleep. I’m all across the board, I wake up for 50 things, speaking of 50 how is age going to affect the sleep habits? I remember when I use to have good sleep, tasks in the day were much easier. Naps during the day are cherished.

2. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

I have sleep apnea and I can tell you that little face mask is a life saver. Just recently bought a tempurpedic ( spelling) bed and I haven't slept so great in years. It's literally the most important thing in the world. I get good 8 hours a night or I'm a grumpy pants

• Like Like x 2
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  3. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I'm with you on that Mark. I been wearing the machine now about 20 years. Used to get up to pee about 5 times a night and now sleep through the night, but it has its drawbacks-wet bed. No! not really. I sleep through it and wake up raring to go in the morning. Will be 75 in a week and don't take any afternoon naps. Probably count them on one hand for the yeaar. Up usually around 6:30- 7 A.M. and call it a day around 1 A.M. Power went off for a couple of days and had to sleep in a recliner.

:old:

Daris

• Like Like x 1
  4. Barry Carlton

Barry Carlton I Support TFP Senior Member Published

Spoiled here...I hit the pillow asleep and wake up 8-9 hours later every night. 59 this year.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

My sleep habits are abysmal. I've been a night person for a long time, even before I had to retire, so I prefer staying up well past midnight and don't mind sleeping until 11am or even later, if I can get a full 8 hours. But it never happens like that.

There have been times that I get involved in doing something and discover it's 5, 6 or 8 in the morning. I should take my morning dose of drugs between 9-11am, so I stay up a little longer to do that. Then I go to bed and try to get maybe 4 hours sleep so I can get back on track to going to bed at midnight or 1. But I get so tired I lay down for a short nap around 6pm and too often don't get up when the alarm goes off, so my sleep schedule is all screwed up again.

Last night I went to bed at 1am. Somehow I managed to sleep a little more than 6 hours, got up to pee and slept until 9:30am. I call that a 8½ hour sleep. More than 6 hours straight is a rarity. But it's almost 9pm now and I don't think I'll make it to midnight - my eyes are so heavy right now I'm making a TON of typing mistakes (thank god for spell check). If I stay up long enough to take my evening course of meds at 9 and then give in to the call of my bed, I'll be lucky if I can sleep until 3 or 4am, which is a terrible time to be wide awake.

See, I'm just rambling now. I hope I can make it until at least 11pm, then :zzz:

6. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Went to bed at 1 and my furry four legged girlfriend decided I should get up at 6. Was hoping for another hour but she wasn't having it.

:old:

Daris

7. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

I have little kids.. need I say more?? I haven’t set a work alarm in years, my boys know when it’s 6-630 it’s time to wake up! The nice memory foam bed has treated me well, never an ache or pain from bed. Average around 8 hrs, but a hard day of work and I’m craving 9-10

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Mike Antonetti

I have the “contour” temp. Bought the originals years ago as twin XL adjustables. Had 2 king sets in Daytona but sold them when we leased 2br condo. The adjustables I love and have to tilt upright slightly to assist my digestive system otherwise from a dead sleep acid attacks me(another story with emergency room actions,food stuck in esophagus)

So, use to the wife would move around at night and bed would shake waking me up. Split tempurpedic solved that, also twin sheets stopped her from stripping them off me. I use to call her tornado or F5. If the next day is rough, she’ll sleep on couch sometimes so I don’t blame her for waking me up.

Even dreams wake me up, and I’m not into taking meds for it just Incase it is an emergency to wake up.

When I wake sometimes I can’t get back to sleep for two hours, not good(my pillow guy commercial) wife goes to bathroom and two minutes later is snoring.

Not getting any younger so trying to optimize the restoration period.

9. epoxyman

epoxyman Pro Member

I get to bed around 9:00-9:30 pm
    And get up about 4:45-5:00 am

Today was good I was on the job site setting tile about 6:10 am

I keep the same time even on the weekends just been doing it for way over 25 years

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Tom Potter

Tom Potter I Support TFP

I'm in the sack at 10 pm every night & up at 6 am. It's my schedule. I wake up at 3 am every day to take a leak & back to bed for a couple more hrs (unless theres work on my mind).

I do need to get a new bed though. We have a firm pillow top & it feels great when I climb in & stretch out but I get pretty uncomfortable after a few hrs.
    Beds are a hard purchase. I would gladly pay whatever to have "the perfect bed". Luckily for me I'm so damn tired that a little discomfort won't stop me from sawing logs.

11. Mike Antonetti

Yeah, the bed purchase is very, very, tricky. Wife took my tempurpedic cloud, it’s not the breeze model which they say breathes better and sleeps cooler. Couple degrees off and I can wake up. They say a stomach sleeper needs a bit more firm hence I got the contour model.

A bed needs to pull air where the body contacts it to remove moisture.

Another reason for waking up “dry mouth”

12. Dan Schultz

Dan Schultz Certified Wood Floor Inspector Charter Member

So, am I the only one left with a waterbed?

• Funny Funny x 2
  13. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

God how I miss my water bed

• Like Like x 1
  14. Mike Antonetti

I had one in South Carolina for 6? months, remember using the heater but don’t recall being hot on them. The water must’ve been pulling heat from body. Are they going to make a comeback? Soft sides, leaks, less motion baffles. Why did they disappear?

15. Commercial Floor Rep

Commercial Floor Rep I Support TFP Published

I'm really glad that you guys shared about having sleep apnea. I have friends who I know have it and they are too stubborn or scared to get tested.

Some advice from an old RN (Yes, that's what I use to be before I got into flooring 20+ years ago)...

I found out I had sleep apnea about 16 years ago now and I haven't slept but 1 night without my CPAP since I got it and it was the most miserable night of my life. I forgot my chord on a business trip and couldn't get a new one until the next morning. Now I keep an extra one in my luggage just in case.

I have obstructive sleep apnea and when they did my sleep study I stopped breathing about 170 times for more than 1 minute during a 6.5 hour sleep study. My O2 sats were in the 70's - brain damage occurs at anything below 80. Over time this minor brain damage can add up and literally kill you.

My first week with my mask I felt like I was on crack or meth I had so much energy. It took about 14 months before I had regained all of the lost sleep and my body got "caught up".

When you're sleeping this is the only time your brain has a chance to clean and reset itself chemically for the next day. You have to reach REM sleep for this "cleaning" process to work and you can't do that without proper O2 levels in your blood. When your sleep is interrupted constantly due to lack of oxygen it literally changes your brain chemistry over time and and cause all kinds of other health issues such as major depression. It also puts you at high - high risk of having a stroke.

I hadn't had any dreams in over 10 years when I got tested and boy did it take awhile to get used to that again. Now I play with my diet to see what the heck crazy stuff my brain can come up with....it's almost better than Netflix. ;) Spicy foods seem to make for some crazy dreams for me.

If you think you have sleep apnea - don't wait - go get tested. It's a life changer!!!!

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. Don Monfils

Don Monfils PRO CARPET Charter Member

I went into a sleep number bed store.
    The salesman asked if I would like to know my sleep #.
    I told him I already know my sleep #,
    It’s 6...

6 Heinekens

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Dan Schultz

Dan Schultz Certified Wood Floor Inspector Charter Member

Seriously guys, I really do love my waterbed.

Oh, another thing. I have one of those "My Pillow" pillows and wouldn't trade it for anything. That dude knows his stuff.

• Informative Informative x 1