Laying vinyl planks over a floating laminate floor

Discussion in 'Vinyl Flooring Q&A' started by Valerieincanberra, Sep 1, 2017.

1. i read in a thread somewhere that you can do this but shouldn't. There was no explanation as to why you shouldn't - could you please tell me the pros for this and the reasons against. For my part, I would like the existing flooring to remain as I see it would provide me with greater cushioning. Also I don't want to have to pull it all up and try and dispose of it.

2. Steve Olson

Steve Olson Hardwood/Laminate Guru Charter Member Senior Member

Well, in my mind, there are no good reasons, from an installers viewpoint to install over a floating laminate floor. The locking joint system in these floors allow for movement between the boards, gluing would negate that. If your own a wood subfloor, the vinyl plank could trap any moisture, however minimal, and trapped moisture would ruin the laminate, allow the growth of mold, to just name 2. The locking joint laminate flooring is super easy to take out; it seems when ever I remove one, there is someone who wants it, and seldom do I ever have to haul it off. Might even get them to do the tearout for you.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Steve Olson

4. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

I don't think you read that here. If you did, that person was wrong. Biggest reason is because the manufacturer of your flooring says not to, so it will void any warranty. Your retailer, if they said it could be okay, will conveniently forget that when you have a problem.

There are times you just don't need a reason why. But...
    Nothing we say can remove your tendency to just be lazy. You're looking for a corner to cut. You stumbled upon the wrong website for that. :ohno:

5. Tha

You are making an assumption regarding any tendency I have to laziness which I find insulting. Just because I am 70 years old, it does not equate with laziness. I am still quite capable of removing the laminate flooring from the open plan flooring area of my home if necessary. I have not really found a valid reason for it not be done. My main concern is for cushioning as a thin, 2-5 ml, plank of vinyl laid over a cement floor in what is a large area of my home may be hard on the feet.

I do thank Steve Olsen for his considered response and will now pull up the existing flooring from one of the bedrooms as it is only about 4 square metres. Enough to see if it is too hard or cold to stand on.

6. Jim McClain

It's a well-known fact that I can be an ass sometimes. But you did post that you didn't want to remove and dispose of it. You didn't say it was because you were 70. If it were me, being a 67-year old with severe emphysema, a backpack of o2 with a hose in my nose 24/7, I'd be yankin' that floor up, even if it took me a week to do a 2-hour job. If I just couldn't physically do it, I'd ask a friend or hire some kid to do it.

I've been involved in flooring for 46 years and trying to help people here since I started the site 11 years ago. I'm jaded. Steve is a nicer guy than I am.

7. Hahah. You are right he is, and I will follow his advice as a test to see how it goes. Hope you have stopped smoking!

8. Jim McClain

Now who's making assumptions? :hmmm:

9. Steve Olson

I've put the clues together and have come up with the "assumption" that you live in Austraila, possibly from Canberra? Lol, so, since your floating floor is on concrete, it would be a good idea, to make sure there is not a moisture issue. It's not unusual for a floating floor to be used over a vapor blocking underlaynent, as a means of getting around the problem. Checking the slab in that small room after pulling it to see where your at, moisture wise, will go a long ways in avoiding unforeseen issues down the road.
    Mr Astute, aka Steve Olson

10. Jim McClain

How did you arrive at that info? You don't have access to the IP address, do you? Only I should have that kind of access here. :hmmm:

11. Steve Olson

Geez, look at her Member name, and that the term used, was meters, instead of yards. Canberra is the 8th largest city in Auzz, and the largest inland city.
    It's elementary, my dear Watson, lol.

12. Steve Olson

Plus, I'm a world class conclusion jumper.

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Jim McClain

Oh, I see. I stopped looking at the oddities of member names a long time ago. I remember when yours was skhardwoods though. I had so much going on lately that it's almost like I've floated in and out of consciousness for the last week or two. I prob'ly should even post during times like that. It usually pisses someone off. :hu:

14. Yes, doesn't take an Einstein, 'valerie in canberra' says it all. Thank you for a few moments amusement gentlemen, I am off to measure moisture in the cement, with a metre of plastic taped down, which I hope will give me an indication however unscientific the method

• Like Like x 1
  15. Steve Olson

That is the way we first checked slab, for a bit better method, a Calcium Cholride test might give more insight. Here's a bit more info.

Calcium Chloride and RH Testing Revisited | Wagner Meters