Laying LVT peel and stick on 1/4" plywood?

Discussion in 'Vinyl Flooring Q&A' started by ibanezrocker06, Jan 10, 2012.

1. ibanezrocker06

ibanezrocker06 New Member

Hello I have a small bathroom on the second floor that I need remodeling. The subfloor looks to be 1x3 boards with a combination of particle board and osb on top. I am unsure what is underneath of the 1x3 boards if anything. The house is nearly 100 years old and it's been worked on by so many people over the years. I had to replace some of the particle board due to water damage near the tub, and I happened to have the right size osb to fill it in.

Before I did anything to this room it had 2 layers of peel and stick tile. Now I don't want to repeat this method because I fear I'd just run into the same problems. But I was told that if I add 1/4" UL ply on top I can put LVT tiles (peel and stick) with grout.

My question is does this sound like this would work properly? Am I missing anything or should I go with linoleum flooring?

2. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

Peel and Stick with grout sounds like a recipe for failure. The adhesive on most peel and stick tiles is less than adequate to get a good long lasting installation.

It sounds like you have a lot flooring down already. Peel and stick tile come up pretty easily when heated up (you can buy a heat gun for $20). I would suggest taking the peel and sticks up and then putting down your 1/4'' plywood. As for the lvt I would look into duraceramic by congoleum if you are looking for a grouted installation. It's a great floor that will last a long time.

3. ibanezrocker06

Sorry for the confusion but I already pulled up the tiles. The guy at Lowes also suggested using a special primer on the 1/4" sheet before installing the peel and stick.

Edit: also the osb and particle board combo is on the same level, they're not stacked. So from what I could tell before I patched the hole back up was 1x3 boards, with osb/particle board totaling in roughly 1 5/8" I couldn't tell what was under the 1x3's. What is this duraceramic tile? I never heard of it. Is it like ceramic tile in that it needs proper sub flooring because I don't think I have proper wood to support the tiles and grout from cracking. Anyway It doesn't really need to be grouted flooring, but I thought that it would look nice if it fits in the budget

Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
  4. Steve Forbo

Steve Forbo Pro Member

Well, since you are obviously a fellow guitar player.....here's the trick.
    Spread some clear set.vinyl tile adhesive with a flat trowel on the 1/4 inch plywood andet it dry clear. Then you will have a very strong double stick installation that will last. Make sure to patch any seams and screw/staple holes first prior to installing the tile......
    All these items can be found at Lowest. Armstrong premium vinyl tile adhesive, and feather patch
    Steve

5. ibanezrocker06

Yes this is pretty much what the guy at Lowes suggested. He said lay down the 1/4" ply, fill in the seams with something (can't remember the name), put down the primer, then lay down a very thin layer of adhesive. The tile I was going to get is Stainmaster 18x18 peel and stick that can be grouted with a special caulking based grout, which I figure would be more water proof then laying the tiles down without.

6. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

Yep, Forbo King is right on the money as far as his suggestions.

7. ibanezrocker06

Well this is good, I just need some more opinions. Unfortunately our truck has broke down so I won't be able to pick up the plywood unless I borrow a truck, but this will give me an opportunity to replace the exhaust fan, re-finish the tub and maybe get the walls demoed and ready for the new frp board in the meantime.

8. FlooringGirl

FlooringGirl Senior Member

IMHO, if you use peel and stick, glue it down. Then, cross your fingers.

Tia

9. Bakepro

Bakepro Member

Hi ~

Can you please tell me exactly what kind of glue to use in this application? I need to glue down about 1500 sq ft of peel and stick vinyl planks.

Thank you!!

10. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

11. Bakepro

Bakepro Member

Wow, y'all work fast! :D

The forums in which I participate regularly (in my field) don't operate quite so quickly and the veterans/pros usually don't respond to noobs who post common questions without first researching the forums to see if their question has already been answered. :eek:

Thanks!

12. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

Wellllll, not always so fast I guess. I made you wait almost 2 hours for this post to be approved (a spam prevention routine when a new member posts links in one of the first few posts - the quote had a link in it). I was watchin' a movie. Not a very good excuse, but whataya want at this time of the morning? ;)

We try to be a little different than some forums. We don't force you to look anything up. It's always nice when members search for answers, but that isn't a requirement here. And I think we have more pros answering questions than any other flooring related forum. We just want you to get the best possible advice.

Spread the word at your other forums. We love to help.

Jim

13. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Administwative Asst. Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Well, I guess that "could" be a reason.

All of us having NO life outside flooring helps too!! :confused: LOL!!

14. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Why is that ?

Daris

15. j248

j248 Pro Member

could be because it's an indoor sport and we need people to walk all over us.....or somehow someway it is fun....at least to me now a days. makes us feel like voyeurs or worse...who knows tbh....at least to me, i love it

16. FlooringGirl

FlooringGirl Senior Member

Although it seems you may have your answer by now, get adhesive for the brand of peel-and-stick you are using and get the one that is normally used for the sheet vinyl (the felt back, not the releasable). That always did work in my case. I used to get the cheap peel tiles, but glue them, in my rentals, and it worked pretty well, except where there was lots of moisture under the old fridges.

Tia