Lay over Karndean?

Discussion in 'Vinyl & Rubber Flooring Sales and Installations' started by Steve Olson, Sep 27, 2017.

1. Steve Olson

Steve Olson Hardwood/Laminate Guru Charter Member Senior Member

Brand new install, done in July, over new 3/8" arctic birch U/L. K91 used to adhere it. Floor color/style is just not working for them. Can it be laid over? I know what Karndeen says, but its a solid install.

Nevermind...It's coming out, U/L and all. Full replacement.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
  2. SteveG

SteveG Pro Member

Laid over with more Karndean?

3. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

What's the risk value? Home/Business square footage? What are Karndeans concerns, bonding to wear layer? I see the adhesive is also for non porous substrates using 1/32" trowel. Dry set. Who will assume cost of failure if gone over?

4. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

What do they want?

5. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

Yes, I believe you COULD lay a new LVT over a well bonded, newer LVT. Manufacturer wont warranty it of course. You couldn't use any "wet set" kind of glue. The adhesive would need to be 100% dry. It's never going to bond if you lay it in "tacky".

Might even want to use an epoxy/urethane adhesive. Buzz the existing with a 12 grit sandpaper. Vacuum thoroughly and use those 1/2 gallon cans of flooring epoxy that come in a box so you're mixing and installing about 1 gallon at a clip into a 1/32" x 1/32" x 1/32" U-notch trowel.

Better yet! Burst out that new LVT and underlayment and start over. It was just an exercise in techniques. I know my method would work but I don't see any point. It's not really THAT much savings, is it?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

What I envision and declined to remove was a pressure sensitive adhesive with carpet tiles when pulled up the surface of slab sporadically pulled up chunks of concrete. The rest was sticky, so what remains is sticky with craters needing patch. Seems like same issue and probably is a type of floor prep scenario. I ask how have others dealt with this. I would probably grit the surface (30 grit diamond)for a little better mechanical bond locking into wearlayer.