Large appliances(refrigerator) in a floating floor

Discussion in 'Solid and Engineered Hardwood Q&A' started by Paul101, Jun 23, 2019.

1. Paul101

Paul101 Member

Ok so I was planning on leaving a gap at the floor and have oven and fridge on the subfloor.

It may be easier when moving appliances to put the floor down and move the appliances in.

Is there an issue with having large heavy appliances on top of the floating floor? I am installing 3/8 engineered hand scraped hickory from Armstrong .

2. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

Pretty much every floating floor installed in kitchens has flooring under the appliances with no problems, and I’m guessing that’s in the millions.

3. Paul101

Paul101 Member

Thanks so much for the rapid response! Makes things easier during the install... as well as when I need to fetch something from behind the stove or fridge

• Like Like x 1
  4. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Just need to make sure the appliances fit height wise too. Sometimes its the dishwasher that doesn't fit when you build up the floor.

5. phil verre

phil verre I Support TFP

Remember when you need to fetch something from under the fridge lay down a piece of plywood first. Do not move the appliance across the floor with out protection, even if its on wheels.

6. Paul101

Paul101 Member

Got it. Previously in kitchen I had ceramic tile that I barely could damage with (as it turns out I had the opportunity to test this during the renovation demo)... a sledgehammer. HAHA

Cabinets and dishwasher are going on the subfloor. Oven and fridge, I will put the flooring underneath.

7. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

You really should have flooring under the dishwasher, then caulk or base around the cabinet sides and back wall. If your dishwasher springs a leak, you don't want the water to find its way under the flooring. I had more trouble getting dishwashers out of their cubbies when I had to lift them up and over flooring stopped at the front of the machine. Not going under the machine doesn't give you more room because you still need to clear the material when removing the washer for repairs or service. If you have enough room in front, you have enough room all the way under.