Laptop information

Discussion in 'High Tech Tools & Equipment Support' started by epoxyman, Aug 8, 2020.

1. epoxyman

epoxyman Pro Member

I’m needing to get a laptop for work and personal stuff I’d like a 17” touchscreen and good battery life.
    Maybe a ssd drive. I used to be huge into online gaming and build a lot of pc over the years but have not been up to date on them the last 6-7 years.
    Just need a good solid laptop for work and personal stuff I’m open to all suggestion
    Thanks

2. Jim McClain

Jim McClain TFP Owner/Founder Administrator

Dell XPS. They make the best laptops at this time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

The last time I bought an Apple and I wouldn't go back to the others, takes some getting used to but to me the best.

:old:

Daris

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Jim McClain

Here's a video you might find interesting.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

i think i might punch Linus in the face....

6. Yeah, I could only do about 30 seconds of linus.

7. I'm our IT guy here and I typically build my own desktops. I'm currently using a Microsoft Surface Pro 4 and I really like it. Prior to that though I was a "big laptop" guy (biggest screen size I could get). After trying Dell for years I got a bit tired of all their pre-loaded crap and some their programs can be annoying. I also feel like they are a bit pricey for what you get.

I still have a very nice 17" laptop but it's an HP Envy (which is their Pro-grade series), Intel I7 quad core, 1TB 7200 RPM HD, 16GB RAM, 4GB NVIDIA graphics card, DVD-RW, full keyboad, All aluminum case. Windows 10 Pro. It's a shame I really don't use it but the company owns it or I'd send it to you. I used it for about 2 years after I got it and it has held up much better than any Dell I had.

There is a huge difference in the quality of the Envy series vs. the standard HP Pavilion off the shelf laptop. They quit making a 17" screen size in the Envy series. If I was going to buy one today I'd go with the Z series in their professional line. Pricey, but a nice machine.

8. Graeme

Graeme Pro Member

I use a Surface Pro (5) as well. Best laptop I have owned. If it dies I would definitely get another one.

• Like Like x 1
  9. We just bought Surface Pro 7's for our entire salesforce (I'm still using my 4). I love them. I haven't played with the laptop versions, but since I'm not out in the field as much as I used to be I've got mine set up for work and home with an extra monitor. My 4 is much faster than my actual laptop that I mentioned. The SSD's really make a big difference.

10. Jim McClain

Some of you may have been alerted that I edited your post to add a link to a product mentioned. That's an affiliate link that earns me a small (very small) commission if anyone follows the link and buys something. For instance, if you buy a $2K laptop after clicking one of those links, I might get 8 or 10 dollars. It doesn't raise your price, but it helps to pay the bills here.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

I never have nor ever will buy a prebuild anything. Buy a shell... buy a screen and get busy.

Been overclocking cpus since it was done with jumpers.

Long live components

Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Jon Scanlan

Jon Scanlan That Kiwi Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I have a Commodore 64 laying around here somewhere
    Havent puters changed since then

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. My personal preference is to build my own but due to time and necessity I often can't do that for our company, although I have in the past.

I learned computers on both Commodore 64 and an Atari 800 (8-bit Computer) in school in the 80's. My first personal computer was a Tandy 8088 machine with no hard drive. Everything ran from a floppy.