Laminate / Tile: changing threshold location

Discussion in 'Ceramic and Stone Q&A' started by oneway, Jan 11, 2019 at 8:04 PM.

1. oneway

oneway Member

I've replaced the laminate flooring in my house, and now notice that some threshold locations between laminate and tile flooring seems to be wrong.

It looks like I'll have to cut back some tile and replace some laminate planks with longer sections. I will also have to put down some floor patch where the tile was to level it with the laminate side.

Threshold A looks fairly straightforward:

[​IMG]

- remove laminate side
    - cut and remove excess tile
    - patch floor
    - put down new, longer laminate planks

Threshold B has some problems:

[​IMG]

- the adjoining laminate runs parallel to the threshold, and I have cut off the tongue/grooves along this edge of the laminate. There would be nothing to attach a new section of plank to.

- this edge is where I started putting down laminate, so it looks like I would have to take up the laminate from the entire room to remove these planks.

- I don't know how I would sqeeze in a section of laminate under the door jambs here.

Threshold C is in an opening without a door. Would I center the threshold in this situation?

[​IMG]

There is one other factor for all these thresholds: The concrete floor in this house was not poured evenly, and it looks like no attempt was made to level it when the tile was put down. Rather than try to match the tile, I decided to truly level the floor under the laminate, with the intention of removing and fixing the tile at some point in the future. So there is considerable variation in height between laminate and tile, and the variation is not fixed for any given threshold (a single threshold will have slight variation on one end and large variation on the other). I'm guessing my only option here is to buy a best-match threshold piece and work it until it is shaped to conform to the height variations?

Are there any other potential problems I haven't thought of?

How about alternative solutions I haven't considered?

Thanks!

2. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

you have essentially summed up everything i hate about raw edge tile and wood/woodalike floors

3. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

Man that’s a can of worms.

4. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

All those details should’ve been taken care of prior to laminate going in. It’s a detail a lot of people miss. We remove flooring so it’s addressed continuously. Usually I cut 1/4-3/8” into the closed door position. This allows an overlap for T- mold to rest on. A marble threshold, tackstrip for carpet.

4” diamond blade and dremel with 1” diamond blade to cut ends very cautiously and as far through as possible finishing the curvature of the 4” disc and sometimes ill cut into the vertical doorjamb and fill small blade cut with caulk.

B - would be to put a joint in the laminate close to the hinge side. You would trim just the offset on the tongue of the end joint whereas the remainder of tomgue(straight part ) has material to glue into side piece. You may have to trim long joint as well to glue it as well. The previous cut piece in field would be removed.

All of the mess ups if I were to come in and you asked me to do this best way possible would be adjusted by a dollar amount.

C - not sure about varying heights the transition would need to be flexible vertically. I have removed the leg on a laminate piece and siliconed it in. May have to visit salon to see if it held few years ago. The varying height will be an issue to address. PL Urethane sets hard, silicone sets soft, I have used accordingly to what needs to occur. For example the leg of T mold doesn’t reach the substrate. Hard Urethane would be placed under that portion to isolate the pressure and not put it on the top of T so it won’t split the top as heavy weight would be applied to the width and down like a bridge.