Kool glide problem

Discussion in 'Tools, Equipment and Supplies' started by nimrod, Jan 5, 2020.

1. nimrod

nimrod Pro Member

ok finally decided to buy kool glide. Bought the kool glide kit with all the goodies. Decided to practice with it on some carpet rems at home. Followed instructions, used premium tape over the supplied seam board...could not get it to melt the tape. Even tried it set on high and did it twice over the same spot.....would get the carpet warm but not the tape. Carpet was a 50 oz frieze but didn’t think that shud make difference. Am I doing something wrong or did I get a dud unit or dud tape?

2. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

Is the machine centered on the tape? It has to be pretty well aligned.

They’re pretty simple machines, turn on an fm radio nearby and hit the power button, it should make the signal turn to static when operating.

3. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Take a couple of glue sticks and set them on the tape for a bridge for the KG to sit on. Hit power button and see if you can see the glue melting. If the carpet is thick you may just have to push down on the tool to get the signal to reach. It only goes about 3/4"

:old:

Daris

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. kylenelson

Ive seamed ridiculously thick carpets with no problems

• Like Like x 1
  5. Barry Carlton

Barry Carlton I Support TFP Senior Member Published

You say that you used “premium” tape. It needs to be koolglide tape.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. nimrod

nimrod Pro Member

Was kool glide premium tape.Tried Darius idea of pushing down on unit.set on high activated twice in same location got it to melt a little .....gonna play with it some more ...

7. kylenelson

Weird, something else is afoot here

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti Senior Member

Is it blinking continuous?

Sounds like when I buy used stuff I expect it to operate like this, then I have to fix the bugs.

Brand spankin new or refurbished?

9. Roland Thompson

Roland Thompson Charter Member Senior Member

Call them and talk with them. Could be a problem with it. If you have it over the tape there is no reason you are not getting any melt. You see it goes down and melts from the foil in the bottom of the tape up.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. nimrod

nimrod Pro Member

Unit is new. Bought online. Gonna return it and maybe buy from local supply house.Did a lot of online searching and found kool glide says good for carpet 1/4- 3/4” thick. This carpet I tried was actually 1” thick(56oz). Which if it’s too thick may have to rethink this because company I’m working for sells a lot of this stuff....

11. nimrod

nimrod Pro Member

Define ridiculously thick ....more then 3/4 “ ?

12. kylenelson

1 1/2” $14 sq ft shag

• Like Like x 1