Karendean LST05 Santi-Limestone

Discussion in 'Vinyl Flooring Q&A' started by Cyrus the Great, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Cyrus the Great

Cyrus the Great New Member

I just installed the vinyl tile and used the Flex-Color grout by Mapei. We can't get the floor clean after the grout was applied. The grout was applied correctly and it's not our first grouting job (wife and I). The floor has smears in it, and was wondering if it's the grout that is responsible. The store that sold us this product also sold us the grout as that is what they use. But nowhere on the container does it specifically say that this grout can be used on LVT. We have tried to clean it with water, also with Windex with ammonia as suggested by the store and it just looks dirty. Haven't received an answer from the manufacture but I suspect it will be a sales pitch for their cleaner which I will or course purchase and try. Just wanted an opinion from consumers and not from sales or company rep's.

2. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

flex color is fine to use. The issue is in the application. Problem being is it is not like standard grout. if you do not remove that haze well before it dries you are in for a world of trouble.

Grout haze remover, 3m white scrubbie and you might get it off.... maybe.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

How can you come to The Floor PRO Community and not expect to hear from a flooring professional, including those who work in sales and represent manufacturers and/or distributors?

It has been my experience, since the early 90s, that the majority of consumers that are happy and satisfied with the products they use, don't join forums to help other consumers. They will leave feedback at the websites they bought from - what is referred to as drive-by feedback - but they don't usually stick around to help their fellow consumers.

For the last 11 years, pros who truly care about their business and the industry they belong to have been coming to TFP to help each other get better at what they do. Along the way, they help consumers like you with their DIY projects - even though, for many of those pros, you are taking work away from them. They still want you to be satisfied with the products you buy and the projects you take on.

We don't discourage consumers from sharing their experiences with other consumers here. I wish they did it more often, but it's not the norm. But we do usually try to convince DIYers that taking the advice of other DIYers about the correct use and application of flooring products is not the wisest thing to do. They don't have the experience and they don't have the passion for this industry that our pro members do.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

The trick is to grout small areas. Maybe 2x2 or 3x3 depending on your speed and skill set. Grout it quickly and clean it up quickly then wipe it down with a micro fiber towel. The haze that you have now can usually be removed, at least from tile, with some serious elbow grease and maybe a specific solution for the given situation. I’d be concerned about dulling any shine that your LVT may have had with all the scrubbing.

For the record, I hate groutable LVT. If I wanted to grout, I’d just do tile.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Chris Mha

Chris Mha Charter Member Senior Member

Try Windex with ammonia. Works awesome on Mannington and Congoleum grout.

6. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

I get right on the phone with Mapei, trying to bad a pain in the ass, I won't let them sway me. Can't remember few weeks ago what I asked but, I say who's this Art? Yeah he says, then I ask away. Kind of a stand offish attitude, like one rental company, I rent there maybe 3-4 times a year you think they'd know me, offer me a beer, nope, strange people if you ask me.

Anyway, I probably wouldn't have used that grout, it dries hard, any movement and you see the little hairline crack. There are similar grouts made differently. I believe I've had to wait for specific types of grout, looking throughout the world only one country manufactured it and zero was in the states. So, call "Art" at Mapei and tell him your exact situation, and what was recommended to use.

I like grouted vinyl, makes it look more reslistic.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Steve Olson

Steve Olson Hardwood/Laminate Guru Charter Member Senior Member

Karndeen uses those little PIA strips as grout, in their tile patterns, wonder why they sold you grout? Karndeen would probably ask you the same question. Is that Mapei grout made for LVT? I'm not familiar with that one

8. Steve Olson

Dang sometimes your replies are just out there, I feel like I've missed the first half of the conversation, lol. I have to re read them a couple times, but, I'm still going, whaaaat? Ahhhh, you make me laugh!

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. Mike Antonetti

Sometimes? Some word changes there from auto correct, but yes, I will address something from another direction other than the main question. Like getting misinformation/misdirection and the choices made. People look for guidance and there's all sorts of motives in their answers. Then I kind of relate it to a recent personal experience. Such as today Mr. Steve O ! Checking out a newer trucks(2016/17) @48-58k with @10kmiles) talking to sales guy awhile, he says "you want to take it for a test drive" I say no, what good does that do? He says buys time to get your truck appraised honestly. I kinda give em hell, there is an art to questioning and I think there's brilliance in them. Couple weeks ago we worked at a retired cops house, that sob(meaning thorn in my side) was tactical, I got nothing to hide, but inside his brain who knows what calculations he's making. Guy would talk the whole time, I was out by my trailer, he was in garage, my brother was out there at the moment, I said you got the rest of this conversation as I was walking back to the house to get back to work.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
  10. I love Mike's posts!!! It's like solving a crossword puzzle. Sometimes I have to read them a few times, but that's good because it makes me pay attention and I do eventually solve them. :))

I just want to know though how much he can lift with his thumbs because he replies so often and so fast that they have to be like Sumo wrestler thumbs!! I can tell by the autocorrects he's probably using his phone and I pity that poor keyboard. :0)

Mikey, you try your new mixer out yet?

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Mike Antonetti

Not on flooring materials yet Chuck, starting to worry me. I think for self leveler it may not have high enough rpm's. But haven't leveled any floors in awhile.

It's hard to get all my thoughts out there, I hold phone with one hand and tap with other, I'm not fast whatsoever so my typing and thoughts have to jive, but I'm a slow thinker. If I only would read what I wrote, that would help, but I would also have to paragraph, edit everything, that would take much longer.

Sorry for the random thoughts, I don't like inside the box normal thinking is kinda boring just not sure how to turn it into large revenue, time is ticking, pulled all different directions, makes life interesting.

12. No need to apologize Mike, I mean it! I do love your posts. I start following your tangents and they get me to thinking about all kinds of stuff and your advice is always sound.

I still feel sorry for your keyboard, it has to get warm from so much use!:)

• Like Like x 1
  13. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

Think: Quality over Quantity

14. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

on that

• Like Like x 1
  15. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

I tried that at work one time.......quality that is. Didn't sit too well.... back to quantity :)

...just jokes lads, just jokes.

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Steve Olson

Mike, I meant no offense, none at all. My brain works so much faster then my stiff old fingers can type, I know the feeling. I enjoy reading your post and appreciate ALL you contributions, and the fact that some of them are funny when maybe they weren't intended to be, well, that is a bonus! Keep em coming, lol/

• Like Like x 1
  17. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

Wondering how the haze removal went? Just got a great tip from another installer who had the same situation. Clorox wipes. Haven’t tried it out myself but figured I pass along the info in case someone else is in the same pickle.

• Like Like x 1