Jute backing

Discussion in 'Carpet Sales and Installations' started by Don Monfils, Apr 30, 2017.

1. Don Monfils

Don Monfils PRO CARPET Charter Member

I did a little install with a wool pattern carpet ,with a jute backing. Oddly this or the first new jute backed carpet I have installed,In 29 years. I have installed a few used carpets and done restretchs over the years.What a joy this stuff was to install.
    Very playable, held excellent to the tack strip, and I installed the whole room with one blade.

Attached Files:

2. UncleCliffie

UncleCliffie Charter Member

Sometimes you can not improve on the real (natural stuff)!
    Dick

3. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

Got a brand and style name for us?

4. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

Jute really should come back. This weakest link I see in many carpets is the backing quality. Jute is a time proven winner that holds up for decades if not centuries

5. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

It has its issues too. Water can make it shrink or mold. I started the trade on about 50% jute and guys I worked for used a kicker most of the time on it. They wore out early because of that. We only see jute on the higher end carpets now because jute is expensive compared to other backings.

6. Don Monfils

Don Monfils PRO CARPET Charter Member

No , it was a remnant she purchased.

7. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Other than woven that was all there was for backings when I started. Then the rubber back came out.:yesss::(

:old:

Daris

8. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

I've seen it deteriorated, delaminates, not sure how it affects carpet cleaning methods, I assume with a wool carpet the chemicals used to clean would be the same. The ingredients of the binders to hold the two backings together would be interesting. For high end carpet I'm sure it's fine, but the low end installations they want you to repair carpet with a quarter inch of sand piled up(Florida).

I kinda like sofbac.

9. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

They don't want to get it overly wet with water, especially hot water, or it could shrink enough to pull the tackless up out of the floor. Ask me how I know that?

:old:

Daris