Jonny Corners Trap Door Trim Promotion

Discussion in 'Industry News, Training & Organizations' started by Jim McClain, Jan 24, 2017.

1. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

jonny-corners.jpg Jonny Corners is planning a promotion that will help make our Trap Door Trim more widely known. We would like you to participate by writing an honest and thorough review of the product and sharing some photos of it installed in your customers' homes. Quoting your customers' comments about Jonny Corners would also be a big plus. We will provide you with a kit to review and, upon your review submission, you'll get a couple more kits to use however you please.

We will provide up to 10 Jonny Corner trap door kits to members of The Floor Pro Community forum (TheFloorPro.com/community/). In exchange, we want you to submit your review of Jonny Corners Trap Door Trim, with high resolution photos. You can do this by replying to this topic, or via email sent to jim@thefloorpro.com. Reviews will be edited for typos and formatting, but your words and opinions will be preserved. The review and accompanying photos will be posted on The Floor Pro, as well as the Jonny Corners website (JonnyCorners.com). We are confident that these Trap Door Trim kits will ease the burden of our flooring brothers & sisters, whether you are an installation professional or in retail sales.

For providing us with your review and the time and effort it requires, we would like to offer 2 additional kits to each person who completes the review for us and taking part in the promotion.

Here are a few rules to go by.
    1. Jonny Corners and The Floor Pro reserves the right to exclude any review from this promotion.
    2. By submitting your review, you grant Jonny Corners and The Floor Pro the right to post all or part of your review and photos to websites and social media accounts under their control.
    3. Reviews and photos must be submitted within 30 days of receipt.
    4. To be eligible to receive a Trap Door Trim kit, you must be a member of The Floor Pro Community in good standing (minimum of 5 existing posts of good quality). If you aren't already a member, you can register for free here.
    5. Your review must be between 300-1200 words and contain at least 2 photos (more pics are better).

If you are interested and think you can meet the requirements above, please contact JonH via PM or email for addresses and more details. You can also visit jonnycorners.com for additional contact information. We are very excited to start this promotion and thank you in advance.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 22, 2017
  2. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor Senior Member

If you guys haven't tried these yet you're missing out. Every contractor here loves them for their durability as opposed to mitered corners.

3. JonH

JonH TFP Sponsor

Thanks Kyle, I remember doing a new 4 plex and there was a trap door in the doorway of the bathroom going to the garage. You could not avoid it coming from the garage and it needed to look good. I spent hours on each door because the contractor didn't bother to do a descent job making it square and I knew it would be a complaint. It bothered me so much and I asked around and nobody in my field knew of a better way to tackle these doors that were bending the trim and getting loose and becoming an eyesore.

I drew a picture and showed it to a machinist, he said he could make a prototype and I agreed to pay 500 dollars for three sets. It worked, I installed my next trap door with relative ease in a diy house where nothing was square. Now I can make them a little cheaper thankfully and everybody that has used our kits say it's the way to go which makes me happy and proud to make them.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
  4. JonH

JonH TFP Sponsor

We have sent a few kits out for the promotion and should have a review soon. Just posting this as a reminder that we can send a few more kits out to anyone willing to test the product out and give a review.

5. Don Monfils

Don Monfils PRO CARPET Charter Member

I received my kit.
    I have an LVT job at a church with a trap door.
    I will put it to good use and post back tomorrow.

6. So cool. Some of my boat clients run into this and have no where to turn. I will DEFINITELY have this link saved to offer up a solution for these weird little installs! Thanks for the heads-up.

7. Don Monfils

I finally had a chance to use the trap door trim kit yesterday.
    I was very pleased with the results and so was the Pastor of the church we installed it in.
    The trap door was not cut square in the room and I did not install the underlayment . ImageUploadedByTapatalk1488059506.861242.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1488059534.740120.jpg
    The door opening was real tight to the door so I cut 3/8" off two sides of the door so there was a little wiggle room.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1488059665.054474.jpg
    I cut the metal with my jig saw with a bi- metal blade , because I had a new $50 blade in my chop saw and the jig saw blade cost $2.00.
    I cut it at a slow speed and it cut real clean
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1488060382.636717.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1488060399.567278.jpg
    The door was made up of several layers of plywood / underlayment and I did not trust the nails holding over time. They fell in between the underlayment and the plywood .
    So I decided to put a bead of silicone on on the topside and edge of the trim.
    This seems like a good idea anyway instead of just trusting the small nails. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1488060118.996840.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1488060152.330227.jpg
    I also put a little silicone under the corners, I figured it would help hold them better over time.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1488062003.308758.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1488062483.138285.jpg
    The trim looked real clean and with NO SHARP CORNERS!!
    I am going to get another set and make a display for the store showroom.
    I have tried to miter , top metals many times and it is real hard to get perfect corners plus you have four very sharp corners
    I think these make a very professional look, and could add a nice extra profit as well.
    Thank you very much John .

8. JonH

JonH TFP Sponsor

Very good Don, I never thought of silicone but I have used a shot of liquid nails along the flange of the T.

The screws are very small but Iv'e tested them on many occasions and I have found that they hold up better than the corners, I know because I was skepticle myself. They hold so well that I have actually bent the corners trying to pull them off and it is 5052 ( .063 thick) aluminum which is a pretty strong alloy.

I'm glad that you were impressed and I look forward to sending you a few more kits. Pm me about the colors you would like and thank you for taking the time to review and, if you could, send us any pictures of future trap doors installed.

9. Don Monfils

You are welcome. I will send more pics.
    The nice thing about the silicone is if you got a little
    ooze out it cleans up nice and seals the track to the flooring
    so water can not get under it.

10. kylenelson

Silicone is a good idea, nice job, Don!

11. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

Is it too late to get in on this, I would give my left hand...useless thing it is, to have an oppertunity to try these and then PUSH THE LIVING CRAP out of them. It literally is the best idea I have ever seen. If I spend less than 2 hours on every trap door hatch I ever touch, filing miters perfect and getting everything just so and then putting the thing in and BLAMMO someone looks at it sideways and it looks like trash.

• Like Like x 2
  12. kylenelson

Send JonH a message, he'll get you squared away

13. JonH

JonH TFP Sponsor

You have to top Dons review is the only requirement. Yes, anybody on TFP and installs trap doors once in a while is welcome to review except Kyle Nelson who can do a trap door in 12 minutes which makes him pro.

Send a PM to me with an address email and phone #

• Like Like x 1
  14. JonH

JonH TFP Sponsor

Really Really, you don't have to be super excellent at doing a review. All I really want is to get my product into the hands of Good installers and have them tell everybody how its good or bad. Nothing special, just simple and to the point and pictures. So help me out and get about 200 dollars in product. I say this because I usually get on here and flub things up and have to edit and I contact Jim to fix it.

15. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

Listen, everyone I know hates doing these things. The shop I work for has started accepting square off ends... ewwwwwww. It takes way too long and ALWAYS looks bad. I will good mouth (that's the opposite of bad mouth) the rap out of something I believe in, let's make it happen.

• Like Like x 1