Jonny Corners on Boats

Discussion in 'Flooring Potpourri' started by JonH, Oct 9, 2016.

1. JonH

JonH TFP Sponsor

Here is a picture of our trap doors on a boat. A gentleman that works on nice boats in Florida sent this to me today. I think it looks excellent but that's just me :yesss:

Attached Files:

2. JonH

JonH TFP Sponsor

Looking at that picture, I think the floor was the most difficult part of the job and not the doors. Usually in a small space the trap is the hard part. This guy does some nice work.

3. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

Perfect application for a situation.

4. 370Dancer

370Dancer Member

Actually the hatches took as long as the curvy floor.
    The center hatches used to be one long cavity, with carpeted (hiding a multitude of sins) hatch boards butting up to each other, and a 2x4 cross brace in the center. With all the carpet, the depth from the bottom of the hatch to the floor level was something close to an inch, but not across the whole cavity.
    In the previous pic above, I built a plate to attach to the 2x4 cross brace, and then made the hatches shorter than the original ones. However, the hatch walls were not smooth, nor linear, so I wound up with a significant gap between the floor and the hatch insert (see the line on the right side in between the hatches). I did not like this, so I pulled that, built a permanent insert, and extended the flooring from the left side of the hatch to the right side. Big fun, and bring a heat gun.
    The attached pics show the general mess that trim routing a piece of Allure produces, and the end result of closing up that gap. I can still get to everything in the floor hatch space, and don't need to put fishing rods, or skis in that area, so 2 smaller access hatches is no issue.
    Finally, my hatches were made of 3/4 plywood with the Allure on top. I had to sister in some trim to give the hatches something to sit on besides just the T channel and corners, which wouldn't work well for walking on. My neighbor was putting in some engineered composite trim, which is waterproof, and amazingly was the exact thickness and width I needed.

It's been a fun project. One more thing to do is mount and stain some very flexible L trim in oak stain for the landing down to the mid cabin. I'll detail that when done.

Putting the T channel and corners on the hatches was minutes instead of hours, especially with the amateur equipment I have.

Attached Files:

5. JonH

JonH TFP Sponsor

I did flooring in one sail boat a long time ago. Having done one is enough to know boats are difficult and this one looks really nice.

6. JonH

JonH TFP Sponsor

Another boat picture with our product. Very nice.

Here is her testimony:

Attached Files:

7. JonH

JonH TFP Sponsor

Thanks for turning the pic for me Jim. Someday I will learn to do it myself:)

8. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Did you guys ever hear about that couple building a huge boat up here? It was like 15 years ago but it was a hobby retired project for him and near completion, I had to pad his big boat preparing it for carpet and there were like 40 of those hatches, all with rounded corners on that thing. They ran out of time to haul it over the passes to the coast for me to carpet it, thank God. I wasn't looking forward to it but would have been on that thing for 3 weeks doing all that custom work. Great people that I carpeted their house when they moved here.

9. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

Didn't hear about that..that was before my flooring career. I'm never sad to miss out on such custom work. Rarely get paid well enough to make it worth it. Give me 800 sq ft in a square room and I'm happy!

10. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

People were calling it Noahs Ark. They moved three times as the boat got bigger. The tribe wouldn't let them water test it in the lake.