Jim's Photography

Discussion in 'Taking a Break From Flooring' started by icanlayit2, Jul 6, 2015.

1. icanlayit2

icanlayit2 Pro Member

Has anyone here seen Jim's Photos he takes? If not,go check them out,The man takes some of the most beautiful pictures ever. Stunningly beautiful pictures. Thanks Jim, not only do you have the best flooring site on the net,but you are extremely talented photographer also.

2. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti Senior Member

Where do you go, his profile Album?

3. icanlayit2

icanlayit2 Pro Member

I see them on his facebook profile. Sorry Jim,If you were trying to keep your photography a secret or out of the group. But the man takes some absolutely stunning pictures. As good as any i've ever seen,raw talent.

4. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

What a nice surprise to see this topic on TFP. Thank you.

I got serious about photography in the early 80s, but by the mid-80s the drugs and alcohol were more important and I ended up selling a lot of gear and cameras to get more dope. 'Course, some of you know, I got sober 30+ years ago, but even though I always had a cheap camera around, I never got serious about it again until last year. This time I sold stuff I had accumulated over the years, traded some web work and ended up with a good camera and some lenses. Now I shoot whenever I can, mostly around where I live.

I've posted a few pictures here in the past and have some posted on my personal blog at 1FootInTheGrave.com and on my facebook page. It's funny... I get a lot of likes and comments on my facebook pics, but facebook can really screw up pictures when you upload them. I have cut way back on my FB posts now. I hope the TFP software doesn't screw up my pics as bad as FB. Some of my favorites are below. I'm hoping to enter some of my photos in the local Fair in August.

Thanks again,

Jim

Attached Files:

5. Grant H

Grant H I'd rather be patting my dog.

Stunning Jim. You definitely have an eye for "The Shot"...:yesss:

6. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Love the shots of the old buildings. Also a lot of art in a old fence post. Who would have thought?

:old:

Daris

7. icanlayit2

icanlayit2 Pro Member

I personally love looking at your pictures. Each one kinda captures a moment in time. I think they are as good as any professional photographer out there,and better than most. Great Work Jim. You definitely have a talent there.

8. Daris Mulkin

It seems to me that Jim once worked for Playboy. I wonder if he has any pctures from there-fully clothed of coarse. lol :(

Daris

9. Jim McClain

I worked for a Playboy contractor, GoGraphicsGroup, managing (official title: SysOp) the Playboy forum on Compuserve. Although I provided some support and response to the Playboy Advisor part of the forum, as well as tech support for forum users, I never took pictures of nor had access to any Playboy models. I was, in fact, fired from the Playboy forum because a fictional story I wrote and submitted to them was rejected and I submitted it to another adult oriented Compuserve forum. They printed the story and Playboy said it belonged to them. We argued, I won the battle, but lost the war and was finally let go by GGG as well. Somehow I managed to continue receiving the free lifetime subscription to Playboy Magazine for many years after (it stopped about 5 or 6 years ago).

But the good news was, I was hired as a Sysop on 2 other Compuserve forums and a New Jersey based promotions company hired me to do strip club reviews for several years and to write promotional copy for a trade magazine called Exotic Dancer Magazine.

Fantasies DO come true. :D

Jim

10. Wonderful! I love B/W photos. They have such bare-bone honesty to them (not the bare bones Daris was speaking of...ahem). They are so powerful. Keep up with B/W photos. They've been kicked to the curb in recent years...but the best photographers work in B/W!

11. Jim McClain

Thanks Stephanie. I enjoy making B&W photos too. In fact, the only official education I have in photography is a college course I took in the 80s for B&W Composition and Developing. I don't work with film anymore, but still see B&W pictures often and enjoy sharing them. The last one in the pictures below - the one of a biker and his "old lady" - was shot on film in 1984, using available light from a store front window display and backlit by the street dance celebration going on.

Attached Files:

12. Daris Mulkin

But here is the thing. Everything is digital these days, what happens when computers crash like mine did and you lose everything. All those pictures are gone. There will be no albums to go through and wonder who that is, you know that sort of thing. The internet won't be forever like some of the pictures that we see are over 100 years old.

Daris

13. Jim McClain

Digital images can be printed, Daris. 'Course, if you try to print most pictures, including mine, that you see on the Internet, you'll get a pretty crappy looking picture. It would be fuzzy, maybe pixelated and just really poor quality. Most images on the Net are only 72dpi, relatively small and can't be enlarged. My hi-rez images are 300dpi and are huge files that can be processed to make pretty big photographs.

A lady here in town printed one of my facebook pictures of 2 motor cops in front of her restaurant. I went to have breakfast there one day and saw it on her wall. Facebook really wrecks a photo with their own compression, so it looked awful. Still, I was a little upset that she would steal from me, but like most people, she thinks because it's on the Net, it must be free to take. :ohno: I didn't say anything at the time.

I had the hi-rez photo printed on a nice mount for her and took it in a week or so later and that's when I explained why the one she printed looked so bad and why it was not fair to any artist to do that. She tried to give me a free breakfast, but I told her I wanted her to be able to say honestly that "Jim McClain, a local photographer, gifted this to Courthouse Cafe." The local CHP commander and the Contra Costa County CHP commander, where the 2 motor cops were from (they were on a training run for 30 days), also have prints of this. The cops knew to ask.

I have a backup system that has all my digital files and pictures on 3 different drives, one on the computer and an external drive attached to the computer is used to back up those files. When I think about it (couple times a month), I swap one external drive for another and take the other drive to my storage unit. So, I always have at least one drive safe from the calamities that could happen to the other. Worst that can happen is I lose files and pictures that I saved during the most recent interval. With my luck though, the calamity will happen on the day both external drives and the computer are all in the same place at the same time. :(

Some of my pictures are hanging on walls, here at my home and in other people's homes and businesses. I'm hoping to have some displayed at the local county fair next month for their photo contest. I'm donating all my pictures from that to local organizations to sell and keep the money.

Last March I had a photo printed in a national magazine. I was kinda hoping at least one of our pot-smokin' members would have noticed it. ;) Maybe they just didn't want us to know they read that rag. :D

Attached Files:

14. Floored by Newman

Floored by Newman Floored by Newman

That last one was a perfect combo Jim. These pictures are amazing! Thanks Jim. Please keep posting. Makes me want to get a quality camera ;)

15. Jon Scanlan

Jon Scanlan That Kiwi Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Some really neat ones there Jim
    I just aim and shoot with no class
    I will see if I can get a few photos in a couple of weeks up Norway way to match yours :)

16. Daris Mulkin

Those are tomato plants there in the pictures aren't they? :eek:

Daris

17. Jim McClain

Yeah... I don't think so. Not even tended to by a tomato. :(

18. SSGNick

SSGNick Pro Member

Jim,

As every one agrees, AWESOME work. you have a great eye for the subject and its amazing. I suggest using Pintrest or Instagram as the quality of the upload will help let the pictures shine and people can "Share" or "Like" and even buy prints I believe.

19. Jim McClain

Thanks Nick. There are a lot of website services like that, including 500PX, Shutterfly, SmugMug and several others.

20. lakebuilder

lakebuilder Charter Member

I'm floored Jim. That kind of work is one in a million.